Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 07:06 AM

315 posts, read 359,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinebound95 View Post
Here are my pros and cons of the neighborhoods. These are my opinions so someone else may have completely different opinions. These are in no particular order.

1) Brookwood ( built out) - Pro, quieter, tucked back. Con - it's in duval

2) The Palms Pro- dreamfinders houses seem nice ( going by looks) , Con - It's in duval

3) Cypress Trails (built out) - Pro- Their own pool and it has a cool diving thing in the middle. Con- It's in duval.

Thank you, that was very helpful. It's always interesting to hear the perspective of those that live in the area. As these idiosyncrasies can sometimes go unnoticed by those of us out of state who only get to spend a week or so looking about. Especially given the number of communities and size of SJC.

One thing, you mentioned "Con - It's in duval". What exactly do you mean by that. We're assuming it was in reference to the schools (?) though are there other negatives we should be aware of ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 12:06 PM

661 posts, read 866,748 times
con - it's in Duval is mostly for schools but also because of that, resale. I'm not much into politics but I suppose there are some pros and cons between the two counties if you are big into voting for your county representatives.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromicide View Post
con - it's in Duval is mostly for schools but also because of that, resale. I'm not much into politics but I suppose there are some pros and cons between the two counties if you are big into voting for your county representatives.

Thanks G, we thought it might be the schools. That seems to be a big selling point there.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax2PVB View Post
No two ways around the fact that there is a difference in home values between 32081 and 32082 - the beach will always be more expensive, but HOAs are often cheaper and there are no CDD fees. At some point if Nocatee ever loses its "shine" you will be in a massive planned community that doesn't have the same status and you will be stuck paying those CDD fees forever - even if the bond portion is paid off, the Opps and Maintenance CDD is PERMANENT and subject to increase over the years - ask your builder how your CDD breaks down between bond and Opps/Maintenance - I personally hate paying the CDD in taxes when we don't use amenities. And almost EVERY neighborhood in north St. Johns County over the bridge (west of the beach - not at the beach) has CDDs.

A lot of great information in this post, really learned quite a bit.

Could someone explain the difference between the Opps and Maintenance Fee and the HOA Fee ?

As I understand it the CDD is actually in two parts. One being the 'Bond' the other the 'Opps and Maintenance'. When the bond portion is paid, the O&M remains. But, aren't HOA fees usually for Opps and Maintenance ? And if not, then what exactly is the HOA fee for ?

Old 03-21-2019, 11:20 AM

a big portion of the CDD goes to landscaping around the nocatee area. Your HOA is only for your community. The CDD goes towards the whole area. The HOA would go towards maintaining things in your community. The entrance, ponds and whatever else. The HOA is around 300-350 per year in most of the communities except places like Coastal Oaks that are gated, have their own private amenity center etc...This HOA is more like 250 per month (and they also have CDD).

The CDD bond portion is paid off in 15 years, paid up front or in lump sum. Some resales are attractive where the owner has already paid this off. You could also make this part of negotiating on a house.

Old 03-22-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
a big portion of the CDD goes to landscaping around the nocatee area. Your HOA is only for your community. The CDD goes towards the whole area. The HOA would go towards maintaining things in your community. The entrance, ponds and whatever else. The HOA is around 300-350 per year in most of the communities except places like Coastal Oaks that are gated, have their own private amenity center etc...This HOA is more like 250 per month (and they also have CDD).

The CDD bond portion is paid off in 15 years, paid up front or in lump sum. Some resales are attractive where the owner has already paid this off. You could also make this part of negotiating on a house.

Thanks again, I had no idea the CDD went to the whole of Nocatee. Now this all makes a lot more sense.

300-350 per year is not that bad. Is it possible to give a ballpark on what the CDD would be on a 3b/2b 1600-1800 sqft ranch on a moderate sized lot ?

Old 03-22-2019, 01:17 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,149,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextExit40Miles View Post
Thanks again, I had no idea the CDD went to the whole of Nocatee. Now this all makes a lot more sense.

300-350 per year is not that bad. Is it possible to give a ballpark on what the CDD would be on a 3b/2b 1600-1800 sqft ranch on a moderate sized lot ?
Correct me if I'm wrong Gromicide but I believe what you can do is access the link below and look for a house in Nocatee (via zillow) that recently sold or is on sale which fits your criteria and see exactly what the CDD portion is by entering the physical address (it'll be listed as TOLOMATO CDD):

Dennis W. Hollingsworth Tax Collector

May not be an exact science but I found a house that fits your description and the breakdown was:

Property taxes: $3,800
CDD: $1,130
HOA: $48/month

Old 03-23-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong Gromicide but I believe what you can do is access the link below and look for a house in Nocatee (via zillow) that recently sold or is on sale which fits your criteria and see exactly what the CDD portion is by entering the physical address (it'll be listed as TOLOMATO CDD):

Dennis W. Hollingsworth Tax Collector

May not be an exact science but I found a house that fits your description and the breakdown was:

Property taxes: $3,800
CDD: $1,130
HOA: $48/month

Great, thank you Ivan !

I came across a web site which lists the CDDs and HOAs for the various neighborhoods in SJC. Given the example of $3477/yr below would it be possible to break this down to determine what percentage is Bond and what percent is O&M ? Is there maybe a set formula they use ?

Quote:
Coastal Oaks At Nocatee is an exclusive gated neighborhood within Nocatee highlighted by sweeping oak trees and peaceful natural areas and custom luxury homes. The exclusive builder in Coastal Oaks is Toll Brothers. The HOA is $146/month and the CDD ranges from $1150 – $3477/year.
Residents of Coastal Oaks at Nocatee have their very own private clubhouse and recreation complex which includes 2 pools (one for families and one for adults only), a fully equipped fitness center, clubhouse with meeting room. There are also extensive playing fields for soccer, softball, as well as tennis courts and basketball court.
https://welcomehomestjohns.com/coastal-oaks-nocatee/

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...437097364&z=10

Old 03-25-2019, 11:50 AM

You could easily call the Nocatee welcome cetner and they will happily give you all the CDD details you need. It is based on lot size and by community. I don't know the % but bond is the big portion that goes away after 15 years and O&M is the smaller portion that stays.

A rough example would be Neighborhood X CDD is 2,300 per year for 60ft lot. 1,700 is for the bond and 600 is the O&M.

Old 03-27-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
You could easily call the Nocatee welcome cetner and they will happily give you all the CDD details you need. It is based on lot size and by community. I don't know the % but bond is the big portion that goes away after 15 years and O&M is the smaller portion that stays.

A rough example would be Neighborhood X CDD is 2,300 per year for 60ft lot. 1,700 is for the bond and 600 is the O&M.

Thank you again Gromicide, you've been very helpful !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville