Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2008, 08:02 AM

20 posts, read 60,728 times

Advertisements

Are there any ex-Californians living in Jax? If so, can you discuss what your experience has been like?

Thanks for any responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 05:35 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,024,412 times
Well, I am an ex-Californian by way of NY, NJ & PA. You couldn't pay me enough to get me to move back to CA. Having said that, you're in for a shock with the flatness of Florida. My brother comes out to visit me frequently, and he cannot believe how flat it is.

He likes the heat of the summer here though, says he's like a lizard, and can only come out when it's warm. Very different environment than the liberalness of CA, and to me the very fast paced life of CA.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:48 AM

6 posts, read 38,750 times
I lived in San Diego for a while. Mom, brothers, and other relatives are still in San Diego. Jacksonville is not San Diego. Both cities have their own identity. I chose Jacksonville over San Diego mainly because of financial considerations. Being on a fixed income as a military member, I can't own a house in San Diego and still enjoy life, if you know what I mean My mortgage payment in San Diego would be so high that two or more wage earners in my family are required. If not, then da wife and I must work longer hours to make ends meet. Quality of life, which is very important to us, suffers. Please understand that I am just talking about average families here. I bought a house here in one of Jax's prime locations for $255k and it's 2300 sq ft. I can only imagine how much the same house would cost in San Diego.

If money is no object, then I would chose San Diego. I'm an Asian and I feel "at home" in San Diego. Being in the military is another factor. However, Jacksonville is not a bad alternative, when money (lack thereof) becomes a factor. I can also assimilate and there's also a big military community here. People here are nice as well, just like San Diego. The weather is different. San Diego weather is nicer, but Jacksonville is not bad either. We both don't have to worry about snow, I guess, unless you are way up north of Cali.

Now for the similarities (for me): beaches, military community, asian ethnic stores, good universities (cheaper too), state govt that is receptive to veterans, nice and tolerant people, big/spread out city, big malls, traffic, etc, etc. I'm sure other posters will butt in and help me out.

My two cents. Thank you.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:10 PM

57 posts, read 536,466 times
Me! I'll try to answer but it's hard to make an exact comparison because I did not have any children when I lived in LA and I now do, which means my priorities have changed a bit! I also think it depends on WHICH part of California you are coming from...

Beaches: some would say a beach is a beach, but...water is warmer here, sand seems to have more rocks/shells (maybe that depends on the beach, though?). I thought West Coast beaches seemed a bit prettier because you could look down the beach and see the mountains!

Housing prices: MUCH cheaper! Can get a huge, new house here with tons of amenities for the same price as a tiny condo in LA!

Weather: Love it here so far! Haven't been through a summer, which I hear is very humid, but winter here seems warmer!

Bugs: MANY more here! We never even used screens in our windows in LA, I'm constantly being bitten by some tiny little things (no-see-ums?) in the early evening here

Natural disasters: Well, I'm not nervous about earthquakes here or mudslides...but you are trading them for tornadoes, wicked thunderstorms and possible hurricanes (although I hear hurricanes are rare in JAX)

Things to do: by virtue of being a smaller city, I do think JAX has less than LA -- but there is a great zoo and I am sure you could always find something to do here

People: Much nicer! Our neighbor actually baked us something to welcome us to the neighborhood! I always hated going places in LA and being sized up to see if I looked right or was "somebody" -- that'll never, ever happen here. You can dress just as casually as in CA, but I don't think you have to worry about having the right brand of sweats or flip-flops...

Shopping: Well, I miss some of those trendy shopping streets (Montana Ave, Melrose Ave, etc.) -- there is a little bit of that here, but not as much...but St. Johns Town Center is fabulous and there are plenty of places all around JAX to shop

I still long for CA -- but I truthfully do not know about the "kid-friendliness" of areas like LA and I suspect Jacksonville is more welcoming in that respect -- less likely to get annoyed looks from diners if you have kids in most restaurants...

Old 03-10-2008, 02:38 PM
CBB

481 posts, read 2,241,926 times
On Feb 2, 2007 there was an article in the NYT, written by Julia Lawlor. Headline: "Snowbirds Flock Together for Winter". It was on the fact that "Florida winter arrivals clearly like to settle in clumps. Even in the sunny South, they seem to want to be among their own - occupying turf in the company of their clans, their neighbors, their golf buddies and, in general, people who share the cadences of their accents and the colors of their license plates."

It goes on and on with who settles where. Towards its end this:
"Perhaps the most surprising development, however, has been the arrival of Southern Californians in Jacksonville. The Florida Times-Union in Jacksonville published a story about the phenomenon last year, and Jim Doyle, a Jacksonville developer, first noticed it a bit earlier. A new house in the Jacksonville area costs about a third of a price of a comparable house in San Diego, he said. "Our California buyers have been doing back flips at how much more affordable prices are here."

Bob Hamburg, 52, and his wife Carol, 58, left San Diego in 2004 and bought a four-bedroom, three-bathroom house with a pool in Palm Coast, Fla., an hour south of downtown Jacksonville, for $600,000. "This house would cost $2 million in San Diego," Mr. Hamburg said. Word has gotten out - two other houses on their block have been bought by Californians."

Old 03-11-2008, 10:14 AM

20 posts, read 60,728 times
Thank you all for your responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville