Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 12:08 PM

203 posts, read 310,408 times

Advertisements

How is this area for families? Schools? We are looking into St John's and are wondering if we should check this area out as well. Our budget is $375 for 4 bedroom with inground pool. Any communities really stand out here? Hubby is worried this area will be kind of redneck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 01:26 PM

9,374 posts, read 8,342,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelma123 View Post
Hubby is worried this area will be kind of redneck?
Unfortunately "redneck" is pervasive in NE Florida unless you live in Ponte Vedra Beach. We live in a neighborhood (St Johns Co) where homes average $350K to $500K and there are rednecks here as well. And because someone here will jump all over me, here is how I define "redneck":

1. Is outside of their house frequently in the driveway and front yard
2. Shirtless is the norm
3. Loud, blaring country music, loud barking dog(s)
4. An enormous truck with even bigger tires.....Confederate flag bumper stickers
5. Always wears a baseball cap

I could go on but you get the point.

Most of Fleming Island is very nice; however, you're surrounded by the element you're hoping to avoid - Orange Park to the North, Green Cove Springs to the south and Middleburg to the west.

Your safest bet is looking to the 210 corridor for that price point. You'll still get some redneck element but for the most part it's middle to middle/upper class and since every community is an HOA community most houses and yards are well kept.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:54 AM

203 posts, read 310,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Unfortunately "redneck" is pervasive in NE Florida unless you live in Ponte Vedra Beach. We live in a neighborhood (St Johns Co) where homes average $350K to $500K and there are rednecks here as well. And because someone here will jump all over me, here is how I define "redneck":

1. Is outside of their house frequently in the driveway and front yard
2. Shirtless is the norm
3. Loud, blaring country music, loud barking dog(s)
4. An enormous truck with even bigger tires.....Confederate flag bumper stickers
5. Always wears a baseball cap

I could go on but you get the point.

Most of Fleming Island is very nice; however, you're surrounded by the element you're hoping to avoid - Orange Park to the North, Green Cove Springs to the south and Middleburg to the west.

Your safest bet is looking to the 210 corridor for that price point. You'll still get some redneck element but for the most part it's middle to middle/upper class and since every community is an HOA community most houses and yards are well kept.
Thanks Florida! So Orange Park and Green cove springs should be avoided? Yes we are looking for middle/upper class community with HOA.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelma123 View Post
Thanks Florida! So Orange Park and Green cove springs should be avoided? Yes we are looking for middle/upper class community with HOA.
There are pockets of Orange Park that are nice but generally you'll want to avoid both areas. The 32259 zip code should fit your requirements nicely.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:47 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,978,681 times
While I respect your opinion Florida2014, I have to disagree with the suggestion to avoid Fleming Island. We lived in Eagle Harbor for a number of years, did a short stint outside of Florida, and would have returned to EH if it was a bit closer to the airport (frequent flying). We absolutely loved Eagle Harbor and Fleming Island. thelma123, don't dismiss Fleming Island until you take a look.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:20 AM

94 posts, read 200,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
While I respect your opinion Florida2014, I have to disagree with the suggestion to avoid Fleming Island. We lived in Eagle Harbor for a number of years, did a short stint outside of Florida, and would have returned to EH if it was a bit closer to the airport (frequent flying). We absolutely loved Eagle Harbor and Fleming Island. thelma123, don't dismiss Fleming Island until you take a look.

I lived in Fleming Island for many years and agree, if you're going to live anywhere in Clay county FI is definitely the place to be. Watched Eagle Harbor being built from nothing. Fleming Island is a very good family area with lots of shopping/dining options now. The whole "redneck" thing is vastly overblown imho.

How do you like living on Amelia Island? Always had it on my possible landing spots list.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:00 AM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,465,836 times
My in laws live in Orange Park
Nothing redneck about their neighborhood
What is wrong with hanging in your front yard and driveway (minus blaring music)?
Some people like to work on/in their garage
Good way to meet neighbors too

Lets all wall ourselves off in the backyard or even better yet just stay inside

Old 05-17-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
I actually said that Fleming Island was very nice. I stated the towns surrounding it can be suspect. I have been to Fleming Island a number of times and I think it's a very nice area. I would want to ensure I wasn't working too far into Jax though as that drive would be horrendous.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTC View Post
My in laws live in Orange Park
Nothing redneck about their neighborhood
What is wrong with hanging in your front yard and driveway (minus blaring music)?
Some people like to work on/in their garage
Good way to meet neighbors too

Lets all wall ourselves off in the backyard or even better yet just stay inside
I guess no one actually read my post. I said that pockets of Orange Park are, in fact, nice. But no chance whatsoever I would personally ever live there for a number of reasons.

Old 05-17-2017, 02:47 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,926,979 times
Speaking or Orange Park and rednecks, the Orange Park Mall always has a lot of Larry The Cable Dude and Duck Dynasty looking guys walking around. It's a really popular look around here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville