Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 01:52 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,522,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
I'm 1/2 Floridian and 1/2 Georgian. Dad's from Georgia and Mom's from Florida. I have a house in both states, but mainly live in Central Florida. I spent summers in Atlanta as a kid, lived in Atlanta for a short time as an adult, but consider myself a Floridian through and through.

To answer your question, I'd take Jacksonville, hands down for a lot of reasons. Atlanta is just too big for me. It is not near any water. And I'd want to avoid the state income tax. Easy drive from Jax to Atlanta, and North Georgia. Also near the Savanah area, Jeckle Island, Ameilia Island, etc.

Yea the drive is actually a short drive. 5 hours. 10 to 75
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 06:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,523 times
Smile Maybe Jacksonville bound

Okay, I know this thread is now 4 years old or so. However I found it today searching Jacksonville verse Atlanta. It is pretty amusing to read some of them. I now have lived in both places for about 5 years each. I was born in South FL, went to UF and then Jax after college. After 5 years and visiting Atlanta a lot, I decided to give Atlanta a try. Of course I don't live in Atlanta but one of the many suburbs that surround the city. So here is my take on the topic (and I agree with most of the previous posts):

JAX & ATL both have similar traffic patterns - avoid working downtown if you don't live with-in 10 miles of it. "Rush hour" seems to last twice as long in ATL. Luckily when moving to ATL I was able to work from home most days. I tend to avoid even driving a few miles from my house during peak times. Yes there are back roads, yet they seem to be worse since they usually have one lane with a short traffic light that get way backed up. All of Jacksonville roads are laid out on a grid (N, S, E, W) which makes it easy to find your way.

JAX - I lived in the Southside which is nice. Great new St. John's Town Center Mall which was finished after I moved away. Beaches, no state income tax (GA is messed up with these taxes), hardly any temps below freezing, palm trees (that I miss), can swim in a pool 9-10 months a year verse 4-5 months up here. Why did I get one in my back yard?

ATL - Mountains (Kennesaw & Stone Mt. are the big ones), lots of hiking trails, tons of things to do. The only thing I don't like about it is that most things take a day to do unless you live right by it. Everything is wide spread so plan on driving 30-40 minutes each way without work day traffic to go do something. That said, about a little over an hour drive and you are up in the Blue Ridge Mts. and 2 hours from Chatt. TN. Tons of stuff to do if you don't mind driving!

I tell myself that I prefer ATL over JAX, yet I miss most of my friends and family from JAX and other FL cities. It is harder to visit even though it is about 6 hours for me and my family since we live N of Atlanta. And then 10 hours to S. FL (for me). So I may be moving back one day, a good thing my work can move with me. The funny thing is I say I miss the beach, yet I barely went when I was there. The things we take for granted! How is this for a soap opera?

Old 12-13-2010, 04:22 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmaranclh View Post
thanks...I have family in FL also so I'm thinking about taking a look and seeing how I like it.

Atlanta is supposed to be a great city for singles but I'm really looking for the complete package..job, social life, housing..

Best of luck with your move too!
Atlanta versus Jacksonville.....my life story lol. I like one city & care for the other. Both cities have flaws that annoy the hell out of me. One is extremely overhyped, the other often overlooked. One has hills, the other flat with plenty of water. People suck in both cities, More to do in Atlanta, less hassle in Jacksonville. I could go on.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,270 times
I currently live in Jacksonville. The area is great. Southside is the best area to live in my opinion. It's close to downtown, riverside, and the beaches. We have a large city so you have a 15 min drive to each area from southside. There are plenty of social activities, I.E. clubs, bars, live music, outdoor activities, etc.

The only downside to Jacksonville would be the land mass 'problem' and somewhat of a hard job market, although the job market is hard anywhere. If you are experienced and educated, you wont have a problem finding a good job. There are plenty of supplementary jobs but those suck, so go for gold. lol

The cost of living is cheap relative to your earning potential. If your looking to rent, you shouldn't expect to pay more than $750, or less, for a one bedroom, $900 for a two, and maybe $1200 for a three. Obviously these are tentative. It's possible to find a place at a lower or higher cost, depending on how hard you look. Real estate is very cheap here too, if your looking to buy. You could find move-in ready townhomes and condos for 90 grand give or take, probably less if you play your cards right.

Be aware that you don't want to live on the Northside or Westside. Those areas are more run down than southside, downtown, and beaches. Although, the downtown and riverside areas have some bad areas as well; as goes for any city in the good ole' USA.

Come visit and experience each area! Good luck!

Old 08-19-2011, 05:57 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,120,348 times
Atlanta and Jacksonville shouldn't be in the same sentence. Jacksonville is a larger version of Tallahassee and Savannah. Atlanta is in a world of it's own.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:50 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
Atlanta and Jacksonville shouldn't be in the same sentence. Jacksonville is a larger version of Tallahassee and Savannah. Atlanta is in a world of it's own.
Jacksonville is a big step up from Tallahassee and a little step up from Savannah and a large step down from Atlanta in most things. But a small step up in quality of life. And your right Atlanta is in a world of its own, just not sure what solar system that world resides in.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:25 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,449 times
A major difference between Jacksonville and Atlanta is that Atlanta has a large upwardly-mobile African American population while the black community in Jacksonville is largely stagnant, and that is saying it kindly.

By a lower quality of life if you are referring to which city is more stressful it would have to be Atlanta but that may be because there is more industry in Atlanta. It is a busier city. It is not uncommon to sit in traffic and not move for an hour and not because of an accident or construction but pure volume. We don't have that kind of stress in Jacksonville. We live in a more laid-back less progressive but less stressful city.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:24 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
A major difference between Jacksonville and Atlanta is that Atlanta has a large upwardly-mobile African American population while the black community in Jacksonville is largely stagnant, and that is saying it kindly.

By a lower quality of life if you are referring to which city is more stressful it would have to be Atlanta but that may be because there is more industry in Atlanta. It is a busier city. It is not uncommon to sit in traffic and not move for an hour and not because of an accident or construction but pure volume. We don't have that kind of stress in Jacksonville. We live in a more laid-back less progressive but less stressful city.
Exactamundo...EEEEhhhhhh

Old 08-19-2011, 10:36 AM

801 posts, read 1,514,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
Wow! Jacksonville is nothing like Tallahassee or Savannah. That's an insult. And Atlanta is definitely not in it's own world. Plenty of big cities just like it.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:09 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,120,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax-Atl-Jax? View Post
Okay, I know this thread is now 4 years old or so. However I found it today searching Jacksonville verse Atlanta. It is pretty amusing to read some of them. I now have lived in both places for about 5 years each. I was born in South FL, went to UF and then Jax after college. After 5 years and visiting Atlanta a lot, I decided to give Atlanta a try. Of course I don't live in Atlanta but one of the many suburbs that surround the city. So here is my take on the topic (and I agree with most of the previous posts):

JAX & ATL both have similar traffic patterns - avoid working downtown if you don't live with-in 10 miles of it. "Rush hour" seems to last twice as long in ATL. Luckily when moving to ATL I was able to work from home most days. I tend to avoid even driving a few miles from my house during peak times. Yes there are back roads, yet they seem to be worse since they usually have one lane with a short traffic light that get way backed up. All of Jacksonville roads are laid out on a grid (N, S, E, W) which makes it easy to find your way.

JAX - I lived in the Southside which is nice. Great new St. John's Town Center Mall which was finished after I moved away. Beaches, no state income tax (GA is messed up with these taxes), hardly any temps below freezing, palm trees (that I miss), can swim in a pool 9-10 months a year verse 4-5 months up here. Why did I get one in my back yard?

ATL - Mountains (Kennesaw & Stone Mt. are the big ones), lots of hiking trails, tons of things to do. The only thing I don't like about it is that most things take a day to do unless you live right by it. Everything is wide spread so plan on driving 30-40 minutes each way without work day traffic to go do something. That said, about a little over an hour drive and you are up in the Blue Ridge Mts. and 2 hours from Chatt. TN. Tons of stuff to do if you don't mind driving!

I tell myself that I prefer ATL over JAX, yet I miss most of my friends and family from JAX and other FL cities. It is harder to visit even though it is about 6 hours for me and my family since we live N of Atlanta. And then 10 hours to S. FL (for me). So I may be moving back one day, a good thing my work can move with me. The funny thing is I say I miss the beach, yet I barely went when I was there. The things we take for granted! How is this for a soap opera?
LOL, we all have had that experience at some point in life. Great comparison since you spent time in both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
Wow! Jacksonville is nothing like Tallahassee or Savannah. That's an insult. And Atlanta is definitely not in it's own world. Plenty of big cities just like it.
When it comes down to it, Jacksonville, Tallahassee and Savannah are alike in more ways than one: All 3 have that old south/old money, Southern feel where everyone knows everyone. All 3 are in the Bible belt as religion is very big in all 3 cities. Savannah and Jacksonville have large rivers running through town. Only difference is that Jacksonville is 3x the size of Tallahassee and Savannah. Jacksonville has neighborhoods the size of Tallahassee and Savannah combined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville