Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 09:23 AM

6,276 posts, read 4,758,955 times

Advertisements

The water doesn't stink here in PVB. The studies quoted above are from years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 07:13 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,122,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
The water doesn't stink here in PVB. The studies quoted above are from years ago.
You may have a carbon filter in your water softner that takes the chlorine smell out. Water in PVB has a high concentration of chlorine that's noticeable. We opted for the carbon filter when we installed our water softner and it instantly elimimated the smell.

I can still smell it when I use the water outside since that water doesn't go through any sort of filtration process.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:33 PM

71 posts, read 117,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
You may have a carbon filter in your water softner that takes the chlorine smell out. Water in PVB has a high concentration of chlorine that's noticeable. We opted for the carbon filter when we installed our water softner and it instantly elimimated the smell.

I can still smell it when I use the water outside since that water doesn't go through any sort of filtration process.
Check! Every house we've owned in California, Arizona and now this one has had one.

Old 07-05-2017, 03:07 PM

370 posts, read 321,844 times
The tap water here comes from underground via the Floridian aquifer. What stands between it and us is a layer of limestone that the water flows through. The water picks up all kinds of great stuff like sulfur, lime (the cause of lime scale) and other minerals that make our water hard & smelly. This is a fact of life no matter where you live in NEFL or even SEGA.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:22 AM

99 posts, read 164,961 times
If I do move out there, I'm only going to have a couple of weeks to find an apartment or condo. For those who rent in Jax, is it common to find apartments or condos with water softeners and filters installed? If not, do you think it will be a challenge to get such systems installed as a tenant? At my own cost, of course.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:55 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,984,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricorngrl1177 View Post
My friends live in St. John's County and all they've ever said about the water is that its hard. After they moved in they had a chance to purchase a water softener, but it cost $6,000. They said no and just live with the hard water.

I moved to St Johns Co and got a water softener installed for under $2,000. I strongly strongly suggest you tell your friends to get a water softener because if they don't it will damage their pipes from the mineral build up. I didn't get one when I lived in NY for a couple of years in my house and after noticing the water was feeling weird, I unscrewe the shower head and it was full of what looked like wet sand. Once we got the water softener in it was fine and we never had a problem

Old 07-08-2017, 07:06 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,730,699 times
I call it Florida water....most have a filter on their home or business. You must be staying at a low budget hotel if your tasting "Florida" water.

When you go out to eat some restaurants have that Florida water taste, you'll get used to it. Jacksonville is a great town & I personally love living in FL. Housing market sucks but everything else is good.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:18 AM

306 posts, read 350,242 times
I currently live in Upstate NY and have never used a water softener. I do though have a carbon filter for chlorine. As I'm considering moving to St Johns I will probably have to add a softener at some point once there. One concern I have though is the added sodium.

Reading articles on this they state that some/most have reasonably low levels, however that seems to depend on how hard the water actually is. Some areas with very hard water will need higher levels of sodium. Is this the case for St Johns ? And if so would alternative solutions such as potassium chloride be equally effective ?

While we're on the subject, what are the better softener systems used there and what are the costs ?

Old 07-09-2017, 10:51 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,122,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextExit40Miles View Post
I currently live in Upstate NY and have never used a water softener. I do though have a carbon filter for chlorine. As I'm considering moving to St Johns I will probably have to add a softener at some point once there. One concern I have though is the added sodium.

Reading articles on this they state that some/most have reasonably low levels, however that seems to depend on how hard the water actually is. Some areas with very hard water will need higher levels of sodium. Is this the case for St Johns ? And if so would alternative solutions such as potassium chloride be equally effective ?

While we're on the subject, what are the better softener systems used there and what are the costs ?
Sodium in softened water was a concern for me but we mostly drink bottled water so it's not an issue. In regards to hardness of the water here, I recall the test completed by the company we hired to install the softner (we're in PVB - Palm Valley) showed a hardness of 20 grains per gallon (gpg) which is a pretty high number. This equates to 37 grams of sodium per cup.

Affordable Water of Jacksonville is the company that installed our softner and they recommended using Morton's Solar Salt (light blue and white bag). That's the salt they use for their delivery service (we opted out). The softner we chose, which includes a carbon filter, cost $1,800 (includes tax/labor - installed 1/2016). The carbon filter will get rid of any sort of smell that's common in this area (chlorine, sulfer etc.). This is the most popular model which we chose to install: http://www.affordablewaterjax.com/pd...ltimate-II.pdf

Cost of salt: delivery service is $8+ tax per 40lb bag. Sam's club in Jax sells them for $4.78 per bag so I load up there. We're a family of 3 and go through about 1.5 - 2 bags per month. Our softner regenerates every 900 gallons (every 2-3 days) and uses 10 lbs of salt per regeneration.

Maintenance: Every 6 months you'll need to clean the softner using a product called "Softnermate". Affordable Water charges $15 per cleaning or you can very easily do it yourself ==> https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Products-...=softener+mate
Softner Mate is like a grainy powder that you layer in every 40lbs of salt in the tank. Very easy to do and a 5 lbs container ($26) will likely last you 5+ years.

Carbon Filter: Needs to be replaced every 2 years. Cost is $180.

Last edited by Ivan Putski; 07-09-2017 at 11:07 AM..

Old 07-09-2017, 04:08 PM

71 posts, read 117,693 times
Ivan thanks for the DIY tips!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville