Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 11:57 PM

1 posts, read 21,989 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are considering moving to the Jacksonville area and we have heard amazing things about these 2 schools. Could someone fill me in on what is the difference between them. Is admission based solely on where you live or is there some kind of testing? We are coming from California with 4 kids so we are very interested in the school system. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 03:02 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,023,760 times
It's my understanding that Stanton Prep is a magnet school and you have to apply to it and get on a waiting list. For Paxon, it sounds that they must have changed it, because I was not aware that it was considered to be a great school. I'm sure others on the board will chime in here.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:39 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,448,792 times
Here's a link for the Magnet program.

Yes, Stanton, Paxon and Douglas Anderson are 3 of our high schools that consistently receive A-ratings, even in 2007 when they were the only 3 high schools to receive the rating in the entire NEFL region (this is including Duval, Clay, St. Johns & Nassau).

Old 12-17-2007, 05:39 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,109,893 times
In Newsweeks top of the class list of the top 1300 schools
Stanton was #3 Paxon was # 17

http://www.newsweek.com/id/39380

Old 01-02-2008, 04:18 PM

27 posts, read 128,612 times
Ok, I'm a Stanton student so watch for bias. Both schools have minimum admissions requirements. I'm not sure how it works for out of state transfers, but I can tell you that incoming freshmen must have completed Algebra I. Stanton is slightly smaller than Paxon, but both take roughly 300-450 freshmen. It is extremely difficult to transfer in as a sophomore, junior, or senior. There is not residential zoning requirement for either. As long as you live in Duval County, you can apply for any magnet school, including Stanton and Paxon.

There are 2 ways to get into either as a freshman. The more common is the magnet lottery. If you meet the requirements, you submit an application to the school district, marking your top three school choices. Your name goes through the lottery. If they pick you, you're in (though not necessarily for your first choice). Otherwise, you go to the waiting lists.

The other way is the International Baccalaureate (IB) Program. It is extremely difficult to get in this way. First, you must be invited by both of the schools. They look at FCAT (Florida's standardized test) scores and academic performance in middle school. I don't know how or if they look at people who have never been in a Florida school (public or private). The schools have a pool of 500 potential canidates and each can pick 150. The remaining 200 are relegated to the lottery. It is possible for honors students to transfer into IB between freshman and sophomore year.

Stanton is traditionally better than Paxon academically (and otherwise), but either choice would be good (*extreme sarcasm*). I would suggest however, that if a high school football career is one of your kids' interests, that you look elsewhere. Both schools have atrocious football teams; I don't think either has won more than 3 games in a 10-game season.

On a more serious note, do not be like almost everyone and be fooled into thinking that sending your child to Stanton or Paxon will automatically guarantee their getting into any college they want. While the schools' names do carry some weight with undergrad admissions, it lies mostly in the Southeast (meaning Florida).

I hope this helped some. Again, I'm not sure how either school handles out of state applicants. Either school would be a fine choice for your children (Stanton is better ).

Oh, and I should add that while Douglas Anderson (mentioned in another post) is nationally ranked, it is merely a school of the arts with a decent academic program.

Last edited by seteiwane; 01-02-2008 at 04:28 PM..

Old 01-02-2008, 08:00 PM

702 posts, read 2,184,847 times
Paxon got a magnet in an attempt to make it more racially diverse a few years back. You do have to get accepted in to this program, the program is ok for kids to be taken to a few times a week, but the school is still not that great and in a bad area of town.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:38 PM

27 posts, read 128,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apanda View Post
the school is still not that great and in a bad area of town.
Are you talking about Paxon School for the Advanced Studies or Paxon Middle School?

Old 01-31-2012, 06:09 PM

1 posts, read 17,255 times
ASDFJKL;. Paxon is way better! I'm a Pre-IB freshman and all of the teachers and students are extremely welcoming. It was hard to get in, however. Stanton actually accepted me, but after I toured the school I decided to go to Paxon instead. At Stanton, it seems like the students are just trying to beat each other grade-wise. At Paxon, all of the students help each other, and I'm really glad I chose Paxon over Stanton. And I must add that just because Stanton's kids make better grades doesn't mean the overall atmosphere of the school is very good. Overall, Paxon > Stanton. End of story. C:

Old 10-02-2014, 06:18 PM

2 posts, read 13,435 times
Can I ask any of the Stanton and Paxon grads if they went through the magnet system from elementary on up? I'm curious about the magnet program continuity and if kids are essentially with the same group of kids as they move to middle and high school?

Old 10-02-2014, 07:06 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,153,660 times
I did JWJ and Stanton and there was a fair amount of continuity. But this was over a decade ago and JWJ isn't even there anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville