Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 06:01 PM

112 posts, read 524,216 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the area and just realized that its either Direct tv or Litestream cable... I hate even having to have a cable bill at all since my hubby works for Comcast and we get free service as a part of our benefits... anyway... the house we are moving into is serviced by Litestream Cable... does anyone have any opinions on their service? Trying to decide which is better to go with...

thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 06:48 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,210,572 times
I've never heard of Litestream. Why would you go with another company if your DH works for Comcast? I have a love-hate relationship with them, but they are the only game in town, IMHO, when it comes to cable and broadband.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:58 PM

HIF

Unfortunately, the house we are renting isnt serviced by comcast. Apparently our only choices are Litestream Cable or DirecTV. I'm just trying to figure out what to do. I'm guessing it cant be all that good if no one has even heard of them....

Old 03-12-2008, 07:03 PM

154 posts, read 645,728 times
Is Litestream included in your HOA fees? If you have to pay for one, go the DirecTV route. I had Litestream a couple of years ago and they had no Local HD channels. This may have changed. Hopefully someone from St. Johns G&CC or St. Johns Forest can chime in. I believe they are stuck with them.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:22 AM

754 posts, read 2,815,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
I've never heard of Litestream. Why would you go with another company if your DH works for Comcast?
Because while our government fights perceived monopolies like Microsoft, they protect certain other monopolies like cable companies. If I'm not mistaken, the FCC allows only ONE cable company to serve a given area.

Therefore, your choices are either (a) your government-sponsored monopoly (aka the cable company in your area); (b) DirecTV; or (c) Dish Network.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:02 AM

196 posts, read 574,382 times
It is included with our HOA, so we are a captive audience.... We have no trouble with the cable, but we only have the basic service - no add ons. We do have trouble with the internet service on a fairly regular basis.

Since it is part of the HOA, I'm also not sure about the cost vs. Direct TV. If it were my choice, I would just go with the cheapest option if you don't need the internet connection...

Old 03-13-2008, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninclay View Post
Because while our government fights perceived monopolies like Microsoft, they protect certain other monopolies like cable companies. If I'm not mistaken, the FCC allows only ONE cable company to serve a given area.

Therefore, your choices are either (a) your government-sponsored monopoly (aka the cable company in your area); (b) DirecTV; or (c) Dish Network.

The FCC ruled in October that large companies like Comcast, Time Warner and Cox could not set a up a contract be the only cable company to service a apartment complex or neighborhood. They are not reviewing this ruling to include small companies like Litestream because of this same issue. If this ruling would take effect then other companies could come into the area. I am sure from a profit/loss point the other companies would spend the money to run lines into these areas if there was a demand.

From what I am reading litestream isn't the best company and a lot of people don't like that they are part of the HOA. If the FCC adds small companies like litestream could be removed from the HOAs and other companies could come in.

Like my wife said I work for Comcast but I really wouldn't care who came in but the larger companies are able to offer more and better services at a cheaper coast litestream. That is the reason that they have these 15 year agreements. Also no company will change till they have to. I know up here in NJ Comcast really started to add better service once FiOS start in the area.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:58 AM

754 posts, read 2,815,226 times
Tigg, so are you saying that if someone like Cox wanted to serve Jacksonville, that any customers not living in littlefamily's HOA (or other HOAs that have it set in stone) can choose between Cox and Comcast? If that's true, then the government has changed its rules, because it hasn't always been like that.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:24 AM

859 posts, read 3,617,680 times
check the channel listings and compare what you like to watch.

last resort. move...

Old 03-13-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninclay View Post
Tigg, so are you saying that if someone like Cox wanted to serve Jacksonville, that any customers not living in littlefamily's HOA (or other HOAs that have it set in stone) can choose between Cox and Comcast? If that's true, then the government has changed its rules, because it hasn't always been like that.

COX would still need to get a franchise agreement with the town and then install all the wires needed to get the service to the people. Would they do that? I don't think so unless they were sure to get there money back.

Up here in South NJ the only choice was Comcast or the dish. But that is because no one wanted to get a franchise agreement and install a network to try to take out big bad Comcast. But Verizon Fios did and there is now competition and that is bringing lower prices and more HD, faster internet and just plain better service.

There is a story about the FCC ruling if you search Google for litestream. The story notes a community that wants to get out of their 15 year comtrac where litestream is part of the HOA so that someone else could bring TV to them. It also states that the phone companies are against them because they have to supply phone and DSL but can not supply their own TV services because of the HOA agreements that companies like litestream have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville