Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 03:58 PM

681 posts, read 1,042,053 times

Advertisements

I do realize many of the post here may be biased but I'm looking for an honest opinion. Now a little background, I'm from Georgia, have spent 7 years in Daytona, growing up Jax was always my life goal, i never made it there, I have made many visits there. Fast forward, I currently live in Seattle, WA, cost of living is too much for me, I've been here under a year, my rent is over 1k/mo for a small 500sq 1bed 1 bath apartment, not including other bills and cable/Internet. I have a federal job and can basically transfer anywhere there is an airport, I've been looking at Jax International. I've been across country twice already, 1st time drove back to Georgia from Oregon, then from Georgia to here in Seattle. Now the question, is Jacksonville worth another drive? Is the cost of living going to make enough of a difference that I can live comfortably? My salary will be near $40k/year and it's just me, no pets, no family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 04:31 PM

19 posts, read 21,592 times
You ask a lot of good questions but I think you are the one who is going to best be able to answer them. Have you looked at your finances and noticed what the majority of your money is spent on? If you go on trulia you will see that apartments around JAX range from $800- $1000 for 1 to 2 bedrooms. If all your looking for in a move is to save money, then you can save yourself the move and just tighten your budget where your at. If your in love with JAX than go for it and move, life is too short. You have to move somewhere that is going to make you happy. I travel to San Diego all the time and ask locals why they stay when cost of living is so high. They always answer the same, "because I love it here!"
Some of them have 2 jobs and 3 room mates just to live in the city they love. So I hope you think not only about the money but about where you think you will be happy. Good luck to you!

Old 08-03-2017, 10:00 PM

7,776 posts, read 10,115,738 times
What's your salary in Seattle?

Old 08-04-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
What's your salary in Seattle?
under 40k/year

Old 08-04-2017, 10:09 AM

370 posts, read 324,016 times
Jax can be done for 40k a year, but it will be a struggle.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:29 PM

7,776 posts, read 10,115,738 times
Well if you are comparing the same ~40k in Seattle to Jax then definitely will be much much better in Jax.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:34 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,307,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualErik View Post
under 40k/year
I just read about a Seattle family making 70K a year and they literally have to live in a garage.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
I just read about a Seattle family making 70K a year and they literally have to live in a garage.
I believe it

Old 08-06-2017, 09:56 AM

2,128 posts, read 2,340,160 times
Making $40k/year in Seattle is almost poverty level. Making $40k/year in Jax would be a big change. Maybe not cost of housing, but other items will be cheaper than your used to. Jax is a huge city so there's lots of options to live. Florida doesn't have transit like other cities so you'll have to give up on that.

Unemployment is 4%, everyone is hiring... I'd look for a higher paying job if I were you. Use your experience to get you something making $55k+year. Jax has a good healthcare system, maybe you can do something in that field. Or with your TSA experience, look into private security, a local 'town' cop (not a Jax/City cop where it would be more dangerous), or perhaps send your resume out to all the major airports and see if you can get a job making more with more responsibilities in an airport..

Fort Lauderdale airport is getting busier and busier, I'm sure they have lots of jobs. Of course the cost of living is much higher but you can still get studios by the beach for $1000 like you have now..Orlando International is a very nice airport as well and would have a similar cost of living as Jax.

Just some food for thought...

Old 08-06-2017, 10:11 AM

the only sad thing about this is, my pay is based on locality pay, I'd have to take a pay cut to go to an area with lower locality. So I may be back in the same boat even in Jacksonville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville