Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 12:19 PM

321 posts, read 363,795 times

Advertisements

Having looked at different areas for retirement and spoken to residents both there and on CD I'm noticing there are quite a few counties that are not keeping up with their respective expansion. Everything from roads, doctors, hospitals, shopping, auto repair, you name it. I'm hearing doctors have stopped accepting new patients, stores are over crowded, major traffic delays and being put on long waiting lists for their auto maintenance/repairs.

How has St Johns done in so far as keeping up with what appears to be probably the largest expansion of any area I've looked at so far ?

And if things continue as they have here in NY and other areas that growth will likely continue.

Thanks, NE40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 12:28 PM

9,406 posts, read 8,382,899 times
I think whoever you are speaking with is overstating the situation on St Johns Co and being way, WAY dramatic. Even with all of the new construction none of the things on your list are happening, save for a slight increase in traffic in the area. Long waiting lists for auto repairs? Just go somewhere else!

Old 08-02-2017, 12:52 PM

134 posts, read 254,509 times
Default Agreed

I would have to agree 100% w/Florida2014. St Johns County at least to me seems like it has been planning and continues to plan as well as they possibly can for this sudden Growth Spurt. If anything it's become even more desirable for new people to move to. Plenty of infrastructure along with plans of more stores, eats, medical and schools are all in the works to come along with the new building.

I moved her from NY 9 years ago and have witnessed quite a change. I can honestly say I am pleased

Old 08-02-2017, 01:06 PM

I will say that the county has done a great job in playing catch up with the new construction. The widening of several major thoroughfares, approval for tons of new retail space (mostly Durbin Park), lots of office space to include new medical facilities, building new schools....etc etc. It's not perfect and the county has asked us residents to foot the bill for some of the educational spending via sales tax increases, but all in all I think they've done a great job.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I think whoever you are speaking with is overstating the situation on St Johns Co and being way, WAY dramatic.

Florida 2014, where in my post did I mention this was the case in St Johns ???

I was referring to areas I have looked at and how they have addressed their respective growth. And was curious as to how St Johns is handling their expansion. Though I see from your response you believe they are handling it well, which is good.

Thank you...

Old 08-03-2017, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextExit40Miles View Post
Florida 2014, where in my post did I mention this was the case in St Johns ???

I was referring to areas I have looked at and how they have addressed their respective growth. And was curious as to how St Johns is handling their expansion. Though I see from your response you believe they are handling it well, which is good.

Thank you...
Ummm, because you SPECIFICALLY MENTIONED St Johns????

How has St Johns done in so far as keeping up with what appears to be probably the largest expansion of any area I've looked at so far ?

How in the world would anyone know what "areas I have looked at" if you don't mention any other than St Johns. Need to come prepared with better posts if you want more information.

Gotta love it when people come on here asking for information, folks try to be helpful and give them information, then get some snarky reply.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Ummm, because you SPECIFICALLY MENTIONED St Johns????
Apparently you don't know the difference between a statement and a question. St Johns was ONLY 'mentioned' in the form of a question. NOT as you tried to imply by your comment ...
Quote:
"I think whoever you are speaking with is overstating the situation on St Johns Co and being way, WAY dramatic".

NO ONE was 'overstating' anything, nor did anyone speak of the situation in St Johns. That was clearly a false premise on YOUR part.

No where in my post did I say anything about the "situation" in St Johns, as I didn't know. I only asked how they have done so far with the current expansion.

Quote:
How in the world would anyone know what "areas I have looked at" if you don't mention any other than St Johns. Need to come prepared with better posts if you want more information.
The 'other areas' are irrelevant to the question. I just asked the group if SJ was having similar concerns to the ones which I listed.

Quote:
Gotta love it when people come on here asking for information, folks try to be helpful and give them information, then get some snarky reply.
And which of your comments is your idea of 'folks trying to be helpful' ? Was it the "being way, WAY dramatic" the"Need to come prepared with better posts" or the "Just go somewhere else!"

Quote:
I think whoever you are speaking with is overstating the situation on St Johns Co and being way, WAY dramatic. Even with all of the new construction none of the things on your list are happening, save for a slight increase in traffic in the area. Long waiting lists for auto repairs? Just go somewhere else!
Are you here to 'help' as you say, or to critique posts ? If you didn't like or understand the question, just don't reply. A simple please elaborate further on what ever is in question would suffice

Old 08-03-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNY View Post
I would have to agree 100% w/Florida2014. St Johns County at least to me seems like it has been planning and continues to plan as well as they possibly can for this sudden Growth Spurt. If anything it's become even more desirable for new people to move to. Plenty of infrastructure along with plans of more stores, eats, medical and schools are all in the works to come along with the new building.

I moved her from NY 9 years ago and have witnessed quite a change. I can honestly say I am pleased

Thank you Chris, I'm glad to see SJ is taking a good solid approach. We'll be down shortly, and are looking forward to the trip.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Apparently you don't know the difference between a statement and a question. St Johns was ONLY 'mentioned' in the form of a question. NOT as you tried to imply by your comment ...
NO ONE was 'overstating' anything, nor did anyone speak of the situation in St Johns. That was clearly a false premise on YOUR part.

No where in my post did I say anything about the "situation" in St Johns, as I didn't know. I only asked how they have done so far with the current expansion.

The 'other areas' are irrelevant to the question. I just asked the group if SJ was having similar concerns to the ones which I listed.

And which of your comments is your idea of 'folks trying to be helpful' ? Was it the "being way, WAY dramatic" the"Need to come prepared with better posts" or the "Just go somewhere else!"

Are you here to 'help' as you say, or to critique posts ? If you didn't like or understand the question, just don't reply. A simple please elaborate further on what ever is in question would suffice
Yes, traffic is terrible. HUGE WAITING LINES FOR OIL CHANGES!!!! I have acid reflux and have to wait 'til 2019 to see a physician!!!!!

I would highly, HIGHLY recommend staying far far away from NE FL. We certainly need no more of this attitude here. Best of luck with your misery.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:26 PM

633 posts, read 1,013,480 times
Quote:
Thank you Chris, I'm glad to see SJ is taking a good solid approach. We'll be down shortly, and are looking forward to the trip.
Judging from your nasty response, I think NE Florida is not for you.

Your question implied that you were concerned that St. Johns had not kept up with growth.

You want answers and help, maybe try being a little more polite. Or just stay in the NY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: