Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2017, 09:35 AM

3 posts, read 2,927 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are in our 50's and thinking of moving to Jax area. Can I get some opinions....would like to live as close to the beaches as possible, near stores, Target, restaurants, would love to have 1/2 of acre if possible, any mid century modern neighborhoods???? Kind of quiet, price range $250,000 to $ 300,00. Any input appreciated! Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 03:53 PM

75 posts, read 103,463 times
I live in Hunters Ridge Subdivision and it is about 7 miles from the beach. It is close to Target, Walmart, Kohl's, etc. I moved from New England and a large lot was important to me. I was lucky to find 1/3 of an acre (1/2 acre will be really hard to find) and most of it is backyard and I am thrilled. Hunters Ridge has a lot of cul-de-sac homes and mine backs up to a huge densely wooded berm that separates me from Glen Kernan subdivision which is very high end. I love the privacy that the berm offers and it runs throughout the neighborhood. There are other nice subdivisions similar to mine all up and down South Kernan Blvd. I am only about 5 miles from a huge shopping area called Town Center and only 20 minutes from the beach. And my subdivision is super quiet. You would have no problem finding a home at that price in this area. The homes were built in the mid to late 90's for the most part around here.

Old 08-19-2017, 07:04 PM

6,417 posts, read 4,913,806 times
Large lots here are difficult to find especially near the beach and in your price range it would be impossible. You may find a lot in your price range but the house would be additional. Much of the building was done here in the 1970's forward. Things near the beaches really took off when JTB was built in 1979. Our house was built in 1990, when we were looking we didn't see anything that was Mid Century. There are historic neighborhoods but they are far from the beach and that is why we didn't consider any. Older houses here usually need a ton of updates since modern (hurricane proof, energy efficient) were not practiced in those days. When I lived in WNY I lived in a 1953 Mid Century modern house. I had to replace the windows, insulate,install siding and new furnace which weren't all that expensive. Here is another story since costs here are significantly higher due the high humidity, heat, bugs, more expensive utilities and things just don't last as long. Good luck.

Old 08-21-2017, 02:53 PM

71 posts, read 119,315 times
We bought our first house in Fl, in Atlantic Beach in 2009 for $487K. The lot is on a half acre and the house was built in 1958. We have rented since we first bought it. We have over time replaced everything that Thundarr said would need replacing and more. The houses on our street are selling in the high 700's for tear downs, with the new homes being built selling for 1.1M to 1.7M.

We bought the home we moved into about a year ago in Ponte Vedra Beach in a place called The Plantation, the lot is .61 acres with the house at 3600 sq ft. We paid 849K for it. The prices in there are constrained by the HOA/club initiation and monthly dues (40K and 1060/month respectively). If you don't mind a somewhat rural setting take a look in the Black Hammock Island area. I loved it but my wife wanted no part of living in a rural setting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville