Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 05:45 PM

309 posts, read 354,783 times

Advertisements

Most of the news I've seen up here seems to be focusing on Miami, not much said concerning Jax and St Johns Co. other than a brief report of a possible tornado touching down in St Johns. How did St Johns do overall and what areas got hit the hardest ?

Possible tornado touches down in north St. Augustine neighborhood | Firstcoastnews.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 09:29 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,137,250 times
I just left Palm Valley in PVB and they got hit hard, especially by the intracoastal. National guard and sheriffs are strictly guarding that area and checking IDs before letting anyone in. Sawgrass CC never lost power but tons of trees are down. Double the amount from Matthew.

Atlantic Beach is pitch black in the residential area. Only restaurant open was a Taco Bell on Atlantic Blvd and it was like a scene out of "Field of Dreams" with over 100 cars in line. Power lines down and some streets were flooded and blocked off.

Im heading back tomorrow so I'll check the areas close to the beach to see what happened. I know of at least 1 home on Vilano Beach that collapsed into the ocean. Sheriffs said there may be more that have collapsed.

Old 09-12-2017, 05:18 AM

9,349 posts, read 8,268,322 times
We lost power for about 12 hours but otherwise came out virtually unscathed. I know others at the beaches weren't so lucky. I think the biggest lesson to be learned in all of this is to never rely on those forecast "spaghetti" models so far out. If you're even in the realm of possible paths you need to prepare yourself.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:50 PM

6,334 posts, read 4,836,145 times
Here in TPC there was extensive damage. One house on our street had a tree fall on it and 2 of our neighbors trees fell on their pool screen. Our 75 foot maple is now a 20 foot maple but it fell away from the house. Another tree fell on the same neighbors but did no damage. We lost power for a day and a half. There are branches everywhere and it will take me a day or so to clear things out. The lake came within 2 feet of overflowing and flooding our house. It was a miraculous outcome and someone up there is watching out for us. As bad as this was it didn't hold a candle to the devastation in Buffalo in the October Surprise storm of October 12, 2006 in term of power outages and tree damage. I had a pile 20 feet high 20 feet deep and 50 feet wide of branches plus no power for 3 weeks and freezing weather.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:39 AM

266 posts, read 1,024,335 times
Wondering how Julington Creek/Durbin Crossing area did? Did they get a lot of flooding or damage? Saw news stories of major flooding in Jacksonville and St. Johns river overflowing.

I was going to ask a realtor, but I don't think they want to tell their buyers bad news lol.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:13 AM

9,349 posts, read 8,268,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLmomof2 View Post
Wondering how Julington Creek/Durbin Crossing area did? Did they get a lot of flooding or damage? Saw news stories of major flooding in Jacksonville and St. Johns river overflowing.

I was going to ask a realtor, but I don't think they want to tell their buyers bad news lol.
See my post above (Durbin here). No one that I've spoken to in either Durbin or JCP fared that badly. A few trees downed and some minor wind damage here and there but for the most part everyone came out okay.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:35 AM

266 posts, read 1,024,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
See my post above (Durbin here). No one that I've spoken to in either Durbin or JCP fared that badly. A few trees downed and some minor wind damage here and there but for the most part everyone came out okay.
That is great to hear! Thank you

Old 09-15-2017, 03:05 PM

8,913 posts, read 20,311,796 times
Power was out in the Baymeadows/Southside area for 40 hrs. That started at 3AM Monday and power came back on at 7PM Tuesday. Absolutely no flooding, that wife and I could see, but LOTS of tree limbs and some downed trees showing their roots. We are in a No Evacuation Zone here, so, like we did with Mathew, we stayed put in our apartment.

A gas station, at the corner of Baymeadows and Phillips Hwy., made National news due to roof covering pumps being torn apart. We drove by and I got a photo.

All of the stationary docks, where our boat is in Dry Storage at (NFYS), were under water. Two floating docks were ok, except one broke away from the cement and had to be tied sideways, so it wouldn't drift down Goodby's Creek Channel and into the St Johns River. The boat ramp (not a public one) by Dry Storage was completely underwater. All the boats in Dry Storage looked ok, but will drive over tomorrow (Saturday) and check our 20' Cuddy out.

Being without power for 40 hrs was definitely a PITA for us. It is/was for everyone, but for Seniors, like us (late 60's) it really was. Only second time, in almost 17 years of marriage, has an outage happened to us. Other time was only for an hour. Both times here in Florida. Never had it happen to us once during the 5 1/2 years living in Colorado during a t-storm, snowstorm or blizzard.

Before Mathew or Irma even happened, we decided that in a year or so, we were leaving Florida and heading either back to northern Colorado, Cheyenne, Wyoming or somewhere close to mountains and freshwater lakes. Sure miss those big rack Bull Elk, pro-rodeo action and Rainbow Trout fishing.

Old 09-15-2017, 03:55 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,031,816 times
On Amelia we lost power on Monday morning at 1:30 AM and got it back yesterday at 7:30 AM.

We lost one to many shingles so our 17 year old roof is toast. Hurricane deductible comes into play but we will get a new roof for half the price. No loss of life in the area just lots of wind damage.

Our friends to the north got hit bad with loss of power, water and sewer in all of Kingsland, Georgia. The exits were closed heading north from the Ga/FL line through Brunswick. They just got water and sewer back yesterday afternoon.

Glad everyone did okay for the most part

Old 09-16-2017, 03:04 PM

284 posts, read 377,686 times
Another tornado likely touched down south of St. Augustine, just north of Matanzas Inlet, in the Summer House development at the end of Anastacia Island. We were without power until Wednesday, 3am, and our neighborhood suffered just minor wind and water intrusion damages - no major flooding, but we're relatively high (13 feet.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville