Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 12:57 PM

68 posts, read 75,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 843904 View Post
It makes zero sense. Khan should have known better when he knelt in England...and then made his disparaging comment towards the President. Lose, lose. I thought he was more intelligent than this.
While Jax/Duval seems split on the presidential election, the surrounding counties are clearly lopsided in favor of Trump. Presumably, these are all potential Jaguars fans. So if you run an NFL team, and desire to gain favor with your core fan base, I don't see the value in getting political.

Presidential Election Demographics, Florida:
Florida Election Results 2016
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 01:14 PM

1,557 posts, read 2,148,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 843904 View Post
Khan should have known better when he knelt in England...
Just to be clear, Khan had his arms locked with his players and was standing during the anthem.

I'll keep watching no matter what. It's irritating to see these players kneel/sit but I'm over it at this point. Players just need to play and keep politics off the field.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:44 PM

9,374 posts, read 8,342,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tackup3 View Post
Absolutely 100% the NFL gave permission. Without a shadow of a doubt. The players initiated the protest, and the NFL had to decide whether to keep allowing it. I guess they wanted to support their players, which is totally understandable.

And it makes zero business sense, as the NFL is rapidly finding out, with attendance dropping every week.

Of course, if the NFL decides to disallow any anthem demonstrations, then they would likely need to contend with the players union.

But I'm getting out of my depth. And I will never convince you, you made up your mind already. So we will have to agree to disagree. And I wish you nothing but peace, happiness, and prosperity. Personally, I'm agnostic about the protests. I'm still a football fan, just making observations.
"Gave permission?" Do you honestly think the players asked permission prior to kneeling? The NFL had its hands tied and couldn't force anyone to do anything that infringed upon their constitutional rights. I don't know where you're coming up with such a ridiculous conspiracy theory. It does not make sense on any rational level.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
Just to be clear, Khan had his arms locked with his players and was standing during the anthem.

I'll keep watching no matter what. It's irritating to see these players kneel/sit but I'm over it at this point. Players just need to play and keep politics off the field.
Amen.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:38 PM

370 posts, read 325,290 times
Quote:
Correction noted. Still, protesting (he says it was a sign of unity...unity in protesting) on foreign soil while giving FULL respect to another nation's flag/anthem is simply bad optics.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:20 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,616,686 times
Quote:

From what I heard players weren't on the field during the Anthem prior to 2009 when the NFL started getting paid by the Military for advertisement & recruiting purposes.
Maybe the NFL should go back to that policy instead and not have to deal with this political BS.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:53 AM

370 posts, read 325,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdreamz View Post
from what i heard players weren't on the field during the anthem prior to 2009 when the nfl started getting paid by the military for advertisement & recruiting purposes.
Maybe the nfl should go back to that policy instead and not have to deal with this political bs.
+1

Old 10-19-2017, 06:00 AM

661 posts, read 865,992 times
Ray Lewis kneeling against injustice doesn't help the player's cause very much.

Agree with you Ivan. It ticks me off but I am not letting politics ruin my Sundays from September to January.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:11 AM

And on that note, let's no longer speak of this here. City Data is my one politics-free zone. I can't even watch a damn ballgame anymore without these debates.

Old 10-20-2017, 05:42 AM

68 posts, read 75,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
And on that note, let's no longer speak of this here.
Are you saying we can't have free speech here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville