Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 01:55 PM

355 posts, read 869,342 times

Advertisements

Hello to all!

Yep I'm pretty sick and tired of the freezing cold weather, high taxes, and poor job market, and thus intend on moving to Jacksonville, FL in the near future. I do not however want to find myself moving from one suburbia sprawl hell to another. With gas prices the way they are, is it possible to live in a community where it's still possible to walk to a grocery store? I would definitely be looking to rent, no more than $500 a month. I would also like to be in a pretty "happening" area with a lot of other singles, preferably lots of single women .

I have done a lot of research on cost of living comparisons between Jacksonville and where I live (can you guess by my alias?) and will only be paying more as far as housing goes. But hey that's what roommates are for .

OH AND ONE MORE THING, Jobs...

Who's hiring and who's not? I have a degree in Marketing. Will it be tough to find a job once I'm down there? I would try to secure a job before I move but my efforts will have been for naught since I know most employers look for local addresses on resumes or else the resume usually goes in the trash, sad but true.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 03:20 PM

702 posts, read 2,185,462 times
I would recommend securing a job before you come down. As for the details of how much you are wanting to pay for rent, is the $500 your portion that you plan on paying with a roommate situation?

Old 03-19-2008, 03:29 PM

541 posts, read 2,286,240 times
I assume you are from Chester...but which one? I heard that almost every state has a Chester!!

Let me first say this: Do not move to Jacksonville purely for weather. That is a huge mistake. There are many cities with weather similar to Jacksonville. And many other countries for that matter. And you may get here and realize that the northern climate is not as bad as you thought after a few months. So please don't move here purely for weather.

Well, there really is no neighborhood that fits your criteria of walkable in Jacksonville. Riverside is the closest thing to it. The problem with Riverside is that there is a big concentration of young people, but after dark the place is....well.... weird in my mind. The only nightspots are for the death metal and indie crowd. Lots of tatoos, piercings, black clothes, etc. But, on the other hand, you could ride your bike to downtown from Riverside for a few "normal" nightlife places. About a 10 minute bike ride.

Riverside has your basic restaurant options: mexican, sushi, middle eastern, pizza, Mossfire Grill, chinese, etc. It also has a Publix and a Starbucks.

Riverside also has the best (and only) park in Jacksonville to be seen and to play: Memorial Park. Ultimate Frisbee and kickball games go down here among the young professionals on the weekend.

Riverside has a young, liberal feel to it. The coolest neighborhood in Jacksonville. It is also one of the few urban-ish neighborhoods. It is nothing like a big city, but the best you will find in Jacksonville.

You will definitely still need a car....and at least a bike. You will want to drive yourself to the beach and to other amenities that are not found in Riverside. The bus system goes to sleep early (10-ish) and so can not be depended upon for everything.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:31 PM

The 500 you were talking about....that is only possible with a roommate.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdecapio View Post
I assume you are from Chester...but which one? I heard that almost every state has a Chester!!
I would assume he means Rochester, NY. Most commonly called Rot-chester by the locals. (I have family there)

Old 03-19-2008, 03:38 PM

Ahhhh! Rochester.....come on Rochester is beautiful. You are going to miss the waterfalls, hockey, lacrosse, and Wegmans!

If I had a family, I would move to Rochester in a second.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:11 PM

I have been there a few times and have enjoyed it. But I have been told the job market in the area is pretty bad.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdecapio View Post
Ahhhh! Rochester.....come on Rochester is beautiful. You are going to miss the waterfalls, hockey, lacrosse, and Wegmans!

If I had a family, I would move to Rochester in a second.
Waterfalls? The only one worth mentioning is Niagara falls. I've seen it a bunch of times already. Yea the hockey's good up here, not so much a lacrosse fan. Wegmans is nice but when you get past the brick flooring and exposed-vent ceilings its really just a grocery store, and you can find those anywhere.

Riverside sounds like it might do the trick. I'm a little disturbed to hear there aren't that many parks in Jacksonville though.

I look forward to swimming in the Ocean. Lake Ontario can be great some days but full of algae on others. It's a freshwater thing.

Speaking of water, having been to Florida a few times (doing the typical Orlando area touristy stuff) I do not find the drinking water in Orlando to be of good taste. We have hard water. Orlando has swamp water. Big difference. How would you guys describe the water in Jacksonville?

Old 03-19-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apanda View Post
But I have been told the job market in the area is pretty bad.
You have been told right.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:40 PM

I lived in the Orlando area at one time, (technically Winter Park), but I can attest, it is pretty bad. Jacksonville, not so much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville