Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 07:02 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,009,069 times

Advertisements

Perhaps you might want to consider getting a roommate. That way your monthly bill would be lower, and your roommate would obviously keep eye on the place. You travel so much, it might be a good thing for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 09:52 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,340,143 times
Others already covered a lot for you, but I'll add a few notes inside your quote below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel127 View Post
Hello All!

I am a s/w/f college grad. I am currently in line for a job transfer to Jacksonville from Phoenix,AZ. Some background on myself: My job requires me to travel approx. 30wks a year, so its kinda important that im within 20 min of the airport. Im young and I love to go out, so I'd like to be near nightlife, shopping and dining. I also love the beach. I'd like to spend no more than $850 a month for an apt.

A few questions about Jacksonville:

1. What are some safe, nice neighborhoods near dining/shopping/nightlife?

2. Ok, now are any of the answers from the first question near the airport?

Using Route I295/9A is ideal for traveling to the airport from the Southside. I've been living in zip 32246 just off of 9A and it takes me 25 minutes door-to-door to the airport.

3. I love the beach, what are some of the nicer beaches in Jacksonville area and can you surf there?

4. Is Jacksonville a good "young" area, i.e. does it have a progressive, positive mentality, or is it super conservative and resistant to outsiders?

There are actually more registered Democrats in Jacksonville than Republicans, if that sheds some light. I would not say Jacksonville is "super" conservative, but it has a conservative slant for sure.

5. I do not atttend church, will I be looked down upon for not going to church?

When I relocated here, I was amazed at how people discussed their religion/church so freely at work - it was not like that up North. There are plenty of people in Jax who are not involved with church though, and you'll meet those people.

Lastly, if you all could please try to recommend a few cities/areas that I might concentrate my housing search in I would greatly appreciate it.

I mentioned above sticking near 9A in order to have a smooth, easy commute to the airport. You can do that and also remain close to the beach, shopping, restaurants, etc. As I mentioned above, living in zip 32246 equates to about a 25 minute commute to JIA. You can also look at zip 32225 and that will shave a few minutes off, maybe bringing you closer to 20 minutes. There are other good zips beyond these, but you'll add time to your airport commute.

Thanks so much for the advice!

Old 03-21-2008, 09:26 AM

859 posts, read 3,604,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel127 View Post
Thanks everyone! I don't actually surf either, but if I am living close to a beach I'd love to learn. As far as night life goes, I am just looking for some fun, casual bars and clubs where people in there 20's and 30's can go and have a few drinks and tapas, nothing fancy. Being close to the airport is important to me because when I travel, I plan on leaving my car at home and taking a taxi to the airport. That said, I don't want to have to pay $50-$60 for a one way ride to the airport. As far as budget goes, I would like to spend no more than $850 a month for an apt. My salary if I get this job will be about 65K. Most of which I plan on saving for a down payment on a house. One more question, I know FL has a lot of bugs, do apt complexes usually provide pest control or is that something I would have to do on my own?

Again thanks for the advice
I don't know how much tax costs here, but JIA's economy parking is $6/day, and few quarters less at other airport parking operations.
Gator City Taxi is one of the main taxi service that runs to JIA, you could call them up and see what their rates are from St Johns Town Center area.

And yes on the apt bug spray, I believe most well run apts have contracts with bug companies. Atleast the ones I've stayed in before have that service included in the rent.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:40 AM

238 posts, read 778,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingfood View Post
And yes on the apt bug spray, I believe most well run apts have contracts with bug companies. Atleast the ones I've stayed in before have that service included in the rent.

I second that. But theres no keeping the roaches out if they want in

Old 03-26-2008, 05:06 AM

10 posts, read 23,815 times
yes , all apt complexes provide pest control. The bugs are not that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville