Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 07:39 PM

27 posts, read 24,647 times

Advertisements

Am I seeing things?
The forecast says mid 40's for highs and down to 28 and 29 for lows.
Is this normal for Winter or just a fluke?
Wow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 11:26 PM

158 posts, read 143,134 times
Jacksonville can get pretty chilly in the winter, but I wouldn’t say it’s the norm. It’s usually really cold for 2-3 days or so then back up to the 50s or so. Just be thankful you don’t live in the northeast. Connecticut, where I am originally from and was just visiting for christmas, is having highs in the single digits right now and lows in the negative numbers

Old 01-02-2018, 03:44 AM

110 posts, read 145,166 times
It is definitely an extended cold period but the entire country is colder than usual right now. Hoping a good cold spell will kill the mosquitoes off! lol.

Old 01-02-2018, 04:46 AM

4,812 posts, read 5,987,093 times
We are at the beach an in the last 20+ years we have had to scrape some pretty thick frost off of our windshields for one or two of those years............now back in 89 that was mind boggling being a New Englander and seeing the airport shut down along with bridges for a few inches of snow. They had no way to prepare and everything and I mean everything shut down.

We picked up some friends at the airport yesterday afternoon from NH and they gained 40 plus degrees!

Old 01-02-2018, 11:16 AM

8,887 posts, read 20,278,236 times
On Christmas Day 2010, it was snowing in our apartment complex just north of the Avenues Mall. I got out the video camera and zoomed into a couple of trees and sure enough, the snow was coming down fairly heavy. Didn't stick, but definitely was coming down.

Actually, I think a lot of folks get shocked, thinking that all of Florida is nice and warm all winter long and move here. Definitely NOT the truth. If that was the truth, the need to sell winter coats, boots and gloves wouldn't be here in Jax. Just like with boating. We were told that people boat here in Jax all year long. Far from the truth, especially for Seniors who own boats. There are those, like us, that even winterize their boat.

Thing is, there are many here in Jax that absolutely love this cold weather and would love to see some snow. I don't get that, because most folks move to Florida (in general) to escape "Old Man Winter" and/or thru a job transfer.

Old 01-02-2018, 03:37 PM

306 posts, read 325,174 times
I've been considering moving to Jax later this year, my dad grew up there and I still have family there I visit regularly, he says Jax Beach in the winter is a ghost town, but then I forget he lived there years back so I'm sure it was then lol!! It's definitely warmer there than here in Atlanta! So I'm between Jax and moving a good bit further south where a good friend of mine lives. My aunt says it seems like they get a good couple weeks of really colder weather then it's usually back up to the 60s, mild and sunny.

Old 01-02-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsZ71 View Post
I've been considering moving to Jax later this year, my dad grew up there and I still have family there I visit regularly, he says Jax Beach in the winter is a ghost town, but then I forget he lived there years back so I'm sure it was then lol!! It's definitely warmer there than here in Atlanta! So I'm between Jax and moving a good bit further south where a good friend of mine lives. My aunt says it seems like they get a good couple weeks of really colder weather then it's usually back up to the 60s, mild and sunny.
Even today, Jax Beach is pretty slow during the winter time. A lot of beach cities are like that. Their “money making” months are during the summer, definitely not during the winter.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:02 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,280,900 times
Jacksonville, like the rest of the South, gets these cold spells because of North America's flawed geography: no protective geographic barriers between the South and the Arctics, so cold air masses can just come down unimpeded.

Just imagine if North America had a tall mountain chain running east-west to protect the South; then Jacksonville might even be tropical.

Last edited by Texyn; 01-03-2018 at 09:19 PM..

Old 01-04-2018, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtrainoff View Post
I thought you and your wife were moving to Colorado 8 or 9 years ago? From what I remember you guys really didn't like the JAX area.
8 or 9 years ago is when we moved here, and at that time, we loved it. Thing is, things change as well as people’s minds change. There are many that move to Jax, or somewhere else in Florida, and end up moving out, just like in any other city or state.

Unfortunately, finances can keep some from moving as soon as they’d like to.

Old 01-04-2018, 05:16 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,098,891 times
If you see ice over the St. Johns or Trout Rivers, that's how you know it's cold. Jacksonville has always had periods of ice cold weather, but it's usually brief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville