U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 06:47 AM

3,712 posts, read 1,991,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelma123 View Post
Do most HOAs in the communities in St. Johns area all allow screens over pools? Is that something you have to get permission from them to build in your yard?
IMHO its better to live with your pool for awhile before you invest in a screen. The pool is 2-3 degrees colder which means there is less time you can use it unless you heat it which is an expensive proposition. We originally wanted a screen 14-20k but after a year we decided we didn't need it. We have the area sprayed for mosquitoes and they are not an issue. As far as HOA's go I am almost positive you can have a screen anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 07:18 AM

1,269 posts, read 1,344,410 times
Quote:
Do most HOAs in the communities in St. Johns area all allow screens over pools? Is that something you have to get permission from them to build in your yard?
I’d say most if not all HOAs will require approval from their ARC (architectural review committee) to put up a screen. It’s part of our covenant under “architectural control” and I know for sure they enforce this in Sawgrass CC and elsewhere in PVB.

Our in-laws were contemplating a white enclosure when they were replacing their collapsed enclosure due to Hurricane Irma and that was denied (it’s a good thing they did because white enclosures are ugly IMO). They did come to their senses and admit that a white enclosure would have been a terrible mistake.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:41 AM

12,366 posts, read 5,853,379 times
OP - I'm sure you are aware that your electric bill will be higher with a pool pump running 6-8 hours day?

Old 02-01-2018, 07:54 AM

2,451 posts, read 5,469,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
OP - I'm sure you are aware that your electric bill will be higher with a pool pump running 6-8 hours day?
My pump runs 24/7. It's a variable speed pump and only runs at full speed for 1 hour each day. My electric bill is about 75/mo higher than before we got our pool. When the heat pump is engaged, add another 50/mo.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:49 AM

196 posts, read 224,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
yes, fully aware. Not an issue. Thanks.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
I’d say most if not all HOAs will require approval from their ARC (architectural review committee) to put up a screen. It’s part of our covenant under “architectural control” and I know for sure they enforce this in Sawgrass CC and elsewhere in PVB.

Our in-laws were contemplating a white enclosure when they were replacing their collapsed enclosure due to Hurricane Irma and that was denied (it’s a good thing they did because white enclosures are ugly IMO). They did come to their senses and admit that a white enclosure would have been a terrible mistake.
I agree, I am not a fan of the white enclosures as well. Seems like they would get dirty faster. I know some homes have the very high enclosures and some the lower ceiling enclosures. I am sure that most HOAs would definitely approve the lower height ones over the higher ones?

Old 02-02-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
IMHO its better to live with your pool for awhile before you invest in a screen. The pool is 2-3 degrees colder which means there is less time you can use it unless you heat it which is an expensive proposition. We originally wanted a screen 14-20k but after a year we decided we didn't need it. We have the area sprayed for mosquitoes and they are not an issue. As far as HOA's go I am almost positive you can have a screen anywhere.
Thanks, I see what you are saying. Not really a fan of the idea of spraying for bugs though. We also prefer screen so less chance of leaves and stuff getting into pool and so our pets can go out an the patio as well.

I guess the best thing to do would find a home with a screen already put in.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:23 AM

3,712 posts, read 1,991,416 times
Quote:
Thanks, I see what you are saying. Not really a fan of the idea of spraying for bugs though. We also prefer screen so less chance of leaves and stuff getting into pool and so our pets can go out an the patio as well.

I guess the best thing to do would find a home with a screen already put in.
Keep in mind that your enclosure might get trashed by a hurricane.

Old 02-02-2018, 12:11 PM

1,269 posts, read 1,344,410 times
Quote:
I know some homes have the very high enclosures and some the lower ceiling enclosures. I am sure that most HOAs would definitely approve the lower height ones over the higher ones?
I’m assuming most HOAs have height restrictions (ours does) so yes, lower height would have a better shot of getting approved (our enclosure is ~ 10’ high). Most folks still build what they want and take the attitude of “I’ll beg for mercy if and when the HOA says something”.

My father-in-law replaced his collapsed enclosure with a much taller enclosure (about 25 - 30 feet high) and he opted to not get approval from the HOA. He’s got a big house so it doesn’t look too out of place but I will say the thing is mammoth and wouldn’t be surprised if the HOA calls him out on it at some point.

Old 02-02-2018, 03:09 PM

11,416 posts, read 13,368,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
My pump runs 24/7. It's a variable speed pump and only runs at full speed for 1 hour each day. My electric bill is about 75/mo higher than before we got our pool. When the heat pump is engaged, add another 50/mo.

Heat pump adding only 50 a month is a stretch unless you are heating it to 70-72 degrees!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or