U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2018, 05:32 AM

3,304 posts, read 6,286,577 times

Advertisements

| Jacksonville News, Sports and Entertainment | jacksonville.com

This site does a good job breaking down the murders according to zip code. 32206, 32209 and 32208 are leading the way. 32218 is a close competitor with 8 slayings last year. Just goes to show you that you aren't safe ANYWHERE in Jacksonville, even if you live in Mandarin/San Jose. Sad to say, Jacksonville ended 2017 with 143 murders. Not glorifying it, but it's a reason why Jacksonville is referred to as Da Bang 'Em in the black community. Considering Jacksonville is over 900,000 in the city limits, I guess the growth comes with increased crime.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 06:01 AM

4,912 posts, read 3,487,533 times
Who isn't safe, exactly? Law abiding citizens who don't sell drugs or gang bang are juuuuuust fine. But thanks for trying to paint a narrative that isn't true at all.

Old 01-04-2018, 06:29 AM

374 posts, read 272,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Who isn't safe, exactly? Law abiding citizens who don't sell drugs or gang bang are juuuuuust fine. But thanks for trying to paint a narrative that isn't true at all.
Tend to agree. But there is still truth to being in the wrong place at the wrong time and that risk is greater in certain cities and in certain areas of the city. You can be a law abiding citizen and decide you want to frequent bad areas of town because of a night club or restaurant. It's sad how bad it is but as you pointed out, a good percentages of these murders involve people just putting themselves in danger and making bad life decisions.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:21 AM

Of course there is a chance of getting hit by a stray bullet if you are in the north side of town at 2am outside a seedy nightclub in the midst of the types of people who carry firearms with them to nightclubs. But OP stated "You aren't safe anywhere", which just isn't the case, not at all. I feel very safe in my part of town and I feel very safe most everywhere else because I don't go to bad parts of town at all hours of the night, nor do I surround myself with people who carry guns or are in gangs where a wrong look or color can get you shot at. This has been debated here ad nauseam.

Sensationalism.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:22 AM

3,304 posts, read 6,286,577 times
Quote:
While it's true that if you don't sell drugs or gang bang your crime risk is low, if you live in a bad neighborhood, you still run the risk of being a crime victim.

Quote:
Of course there is a chance of getting hit by a stray bullet if you are in the north side of town at 2am outside a seedy nightclub in the midst of the types of people who carry firearms with them to nightclubs.
This I can agree with. Hood clubs tend to attract a thug element.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:44 AM

7,469 posts, read 17,174,089 times
Quote:
Of course there is a chance of getting hit by a stray bullet if you are in the north side of town at 2am outside a seedy nightclub in the midst of the types of people who carry firearms with them to nightclubs. But OP stated "You aren't safe anywhere", which just isn't the case, not at all. I feel very safe in my part of town and I feel very safe most everywhere else because I don't go to bad parts of town at all hours of the night, nor do I surround myself with people who carry guns or are in gangs where a wrong look or color can get you shot at. This has been debated here ad nauseam.

Sensationalism.
Even though I done a Thread a year or so on the amount of crime in Jacksonville, I do have to really agree with Florida2014 on the reply. One of the reasons there is not much JSO presents in the area we live in is because there just isn't that much crime here. However, I did think that when Jax got a new Mayor and Sheriff, the crime would go down. At least that was a campaign promise.........so much for "campaign promises"!

It can be very disheartening to turn on the local news during the week and hear about the homicides and drive-by's" that happen here. Thing is, if anyone was to watch the tv show, 48 hours, there are quite a number of homicides in Miami and Atlanta.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:14 AM

I am 10,000 times more concerned about safety on the roads here than gun violence. If I'm going out by unnatural causes, it's going to be due to some idiot on the road plowing into me while texting.

Old 11-07-2018, 12:04 PM

3 posts, read 2,283 times
you people dont have no idea what yall are talking about jacksonville is one of the most dangerous cities in the country its up there with chi town and if you aint down wit nobody of you go thru a neighborhood and you stare at them guess whats gonna happen see i grew up in jacksonville duval cty on the westside 103rd way westconnect area so in closing its dangerous any where you go its all about how you carry yourself

Old 11-07-2018, 12:05 PM

its basically minding you own business and youll be straight

Old 11-07-2018, 12:09 PM

the downtown area springfield area 8th street and main and myrtle ave kings road going on down to grand park area its all dangerous moncrief- lackawanna mixon town people get my point crime happens any where you go so if youre scared stay home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or