U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2018, 11:30 AM

4,501 posts, read 3,587,313 times

Advertisements

Hello, if we were planning to stay for an evening in Jacksonville, which would you most recommend as an area for looking at AirBNB properties? Downtown area along Riverside Ave or Water Street, Avondale Five Points, or San Marco Five Points? I'm leaning towards SMFP because it appears to be quite safe and have a number of businesses right there to walk to, but also, has access to jogging across the bridge to downtown, and the views that come from being on that side of the water. Curious to hear your thoughts though. We would be visiting sometime in February. Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 06:56 PM

7,030 posts, read 7,698,779 times
I'm gonna carefully parse through your question cause there are a few misstatements in it.

First of all are you only considering airbnb? I do not think there would be any airbnb's in Downtown along Riverside...the only housing there are two large apartment complexes. There are some other condos and homes on Riverside, but those are actually in Riverside not Downtown.

Next, Five Points is a section of the Riverside neighborhood. So it is often simply referred to as Riverside, although there are enough draws in Riverside that it is helpful to specify Five Points. Avondale and San Marco do not have a "Five Points." The commercial corridor in Avondale is "The Shoppes" and in San Marco it is "San Marco Square."

Alright, all of that said, this is a tough one to pick. They all have their merits. But I am partial towards your exact suggestion, because I used to live in San Marco and went running across the bridge on numerous occasions, as well as obviously walking to the businesses and parks on a regular basis. On top of it all, I own two airbnb listings in San Marco! lol.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:34 PM

Fair enough! I saw a few listed along Riverside Ave between Riverside Five Point and Downtown and labeled them as Downtown, since I was thinking there might be others closer that way.

Not solely AirBNB, but I do feel I’ll get more of a local’s experience that way, and a better value/more unique space than a hotel would offer. I will look that way. Is it safe overall to walk around that area, even perhaps at night? In the range between the Friendship Fountain North, and San Marco Square South, that is.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:21 AM

Well I think it's pretty safe and have never had any issues. It does seem/feel slightly desolate on week nights though, which may offer a slightly unsafe feeling. When you get down closer to San Marco Square there should be a bit more pedestrian activity.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:17 PM

We will be there on a Saturday night, so that shouldn’t be an issue. Ideally, I’d like to find somewhere perhaps on San Marco Square, or if not somewhere within a couple blocks of it so if we decide to go maybe a bar, a restaurant, Shops, Theatre, etc, we could walk back without a long walk or possibly safety being an issue. Isn’t there still some type of monorail and/or Ferry going either direction across the water too? I thought about jogging Sunday AM but also using those.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:30 AM

Sorry monorail doesn't run on weekends except for special events:
https://www.jtafla.com/schedules/skyway/

Water taxi is available:
jaxwatertaxi

I have no concerns over safety around the entire area. Once you get north of San Marco and into the "Southbank" region where Friendship Fountain is, while I'd say it should still be totally safe it just sometimes feels desolate. Especially if you were walking up San Marco Blvd over the railroad tracks...it's about a third-of-a-mile stretch that's not pedestrian friendly on the street level. That said, on a Saturday night it should be one or two steps above desolate, so not so bad. There are a handful of popular restaurants/bars in the northern region away from San Marco Square, but if you're just gonna wing it then being closer to the square is better for more options.

Not sure how long of a run you like to take but if you start from San Marco and run across the bridges and cover most/all of the riverwalk on both sides of the river I think you'll be in the 6-mile range.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:19 AM

Thanks for that guidance, I appreciate it. We generally were just going to wing it, but if you know of any particularly distinctive places to eat, drink, see, etc., then we would appreciate that as well. 6 miles sounds just about perfect. I'm getting back into training mode for a 10K, and doing it at a relaxed pace in order to get ready for a faster run in March is good for where I'm at right now. This is a rough route of run, from San Marco Square area (haven't booked anything yet)
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7186494

Old 01-14-2018, 01:36 PM

Interesting route. You don't hit much of the river walks but you do take yourself up through downtown a bit. I tried to edit your map a bit and post it but looks like i have to create an account and my edits weren't very good anyway lol, so sorry.

But basically I was just gonna add that you should get yourself heading east down the southbank riverwalk from river city brewing company all the way to the end (the parking lot of the duval county school board building, where "broadcast pl" is)

I would also suggest routing yourself so you head north on river rd between Landon Ave and Laverne St. It's really only 20 seconds but I think it's worth it. If you were to also include the parts of river road farther south you'd get to see some really nice homes and a few mansions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or