U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 05:20 AM

3,310 posts, read 6,321,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIA2JAX View Post
My husband and I are considering a move to Jacksonville from Miami. We are in our late 20s/early 30s with no kids. We are moving due to the availability of a great job opportunity, although our jobs here are excellent. I know there are threads already on this but I was hoping for some more recent opinions as Jacksonville has grown a lot. I have a few questions:

1) Are we crazy to move from MIA to JAX if we have decent jobs here already? (I prefer the lifestyle of a large city but we are faced with a great job opportunity that will allow us to make significantly more money.) Not at all. Unlike Miami, Jacksonville is good for settling down and raising a family. People here are more friendlier, but I have to warn you: Jacksonville doesn't have the flair and notoriety of Miami.

2) Is the Riverside area safe? Yes

3) Is the St. Johns town center area safe? Yes

4) Is the city starting to become more diverse? Very much so, 10 or 20 years ago, you couldn't say the same.

5) Are there a lot of activities for young professionals? I think so

6) Anyone in Jacksonville make a similar move in the last year or so? If so, how as your experience? No, I've lived in Jacksonville all my life.

7) Anything else I should know before making such a move? Thank you!
Your money will go further here than in Miami, although you'll need a car to get around. Jacksonville is the largest city in the US in terms of square mileage, so it's HUGE. You can drive 30 miles out of the way and still be in Jacksonville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 11:57 AM

70 posts, read 50,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIA2JAX View Post
-Miami is home, and I love it for that reason along with it being a metropolitan and diverse city. The financial difference is absolutely enough to upgrade our lifestyle, but that doesn't matter to me if I am going to hate JAX.

-I don't care too much about clubbing and all the things that Miami is known for. I just care for young, diverse, and friendly people. And of course, safety. I am really big on safety.

-You moved to Miami? What do you like better about Miami?

Thanks for your help!
I used to live in Key Biscayne years ago.

I have not lived in Jax, but am planning to move there and have been following closely. I've been watching the weather and it seems like the winters can be quite cooler than Miami. But you might view that as a positive if you've been in Miami for a long time. We are sort of keeping an eye on Boca Raton also as an alternate, but are about 90% going to PVB.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:10 PM

7,472 posts, read 17,272,078 times
IMO, for you age bracket, JAX would be pretty much wonderful. Ok, just plain wonderful!

One person mentioned that "money" plays a big part of Jacksonville, including salary and safety. If you have the money, you'll have no problem finding a nice/safe place to live here.

And, as far as the SJTC, you'd fit in perfectly!

Old 01-24-2018, 06:57 PM

1,109 posts, read 1,075,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Jacksonville is much more friendly than Miami. Although, that's not hard to do. Even Fort Lauderdale is much friendlier. Miami is probably the least friendly city in America, and I lived in 3 states, countless towns, 3 major metro areas (including Miami) and have visited many other state. Anywhere north of Dade has friendlier people and better customer service.

I say make the move. If you don't like how it goes you can always move back and you will only be 5 hours away anyway. I moved out of Miami/Florida and it was the best thing for me, though personally I don't like Miami and my personality draws me to places extremely different.

You will find diversity, safety and young friendly people in any big enough city. Idk stats but I am sure Jax is safer than Miami though Idk if it's "SAFE safe." Sadly most major cities have it's share of ghetto and scummy areas, but if you can afford not living in places like that you will be fine.
You should stay where you are. Crime is in every city. The city/county's murder statistics are easily found via Google. Safety, in any city, (except maybe Chicago) depends on YOU. I made the move years ago, first to Charlotte, NC and now retiring in Jax. I just don't think there will be enough for you to do here and you will move back home.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:04 AM

8 posts, read 24,620 times
Late, but Jacksonville has grown leaps and bounds within the last 4-5 years.

1) Are we crazy to move from MIA to JAX if we have decent jobs here already? (I prefer the lifestyle of a large city but we are faced with a great job opportunity that will allow us to make significantly more money.)

Nope, Jacksonville is one of the top cities for wage growth in the U.S. With that said, more and more amenities are coming online for those who make more.

2) Is the Riverside area safe?

Yes, reasonably safe.

3) Is the St. Johns town center area safe?

Yes, very safe but very suburban in nature as well but still has that young, diverse vibe.

4) Is the city starting to become more diverse?

Yes, again one of those things changing dramatically. Lots more Hispanics and many are PR, with the hurricane aiding that growth. You can see the influence a lot more (especially on the Southside) than the last couple decades. Asian and Eastern European growth is strong as well.

5) Are there a lot of activities for young professionals?

Agreed with other posters, relative to your interests but the nightlife scene seems to kinda lag behind in all honesty.

6) Anyone in Jacksonville make a similar move in the last year or so? If so, how as your experience?

Born and raised here (my family is one of the first 50k or so Hispanic individuals that lived in the area since the early 90's). I want to move away, just to experience something else but still proud of the strides and changes occurring in Jax.

7) Anything else I should know before making such a move?

I'm late. Did you move yet?

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or