U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2018, 10:26 AM

4 posts, read 4,868 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a move to Jacksonville from Miami. We are in our late 20s/early 30s with no kids. We are moving due to the availability of a great job opportunity, although our jobs here are excellent. I know there are threads already on this but I was hoping for some more recent opinions as Jacksonville has grown a lot. I have a few questions:

1) Are we crazy to move from MIA to JAX if we have decent jobs here already? (I prefer the lifestyle of a large city but we are faced with a great job opportunity that will allow us to make significantly more money.)

2) Is the Riverside area safe?

3) Is the St. Johns town center area safe?

4) Is the city starting to become more diverse?

5) Are there a lot of activities for young professionals?

6) Anyone in Jacksonville make a similar move in the last year or so? If so, how as your experience?

7) Anything else I should know before making such a move?

Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 11:18 AM

4,929 posts, read 3,490,388 times
Miami and Jacksonville could not be more different, imho. I would really think long and hard and come up here to spend some time before making a decision like that. Your dollar will certainly go much, much further here and enable you to buy more house/land but it's a significantly slower pace for someone as young as you are.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:30 AM

141 posts, read 132,780 times
1) you are not crazy for moving from miami to jax.... however you won't find the fast life style of south beach.... It is a lot more calmer here including the beach night life. More family oriented and a bit more southern feeling to it ...

2) Riverside is a safe.

3) st johns town center is safe but there will be plenty of ppl travelling from other neighborhoods because of more big box store and chain restaurants being located there... also plenty of parking ... I think Riverside has a better community feeling to it... st johns is growing very fast with a lot of construction... traffic might be a nightmare in a few years.

4) city is diverse with other races and cultures... not as much as hispanic culture but you will still hear spanish speaking ppl here and there unless you live far out in the suburbs. Suburbs might be less diverse...

5) there are things to do but you need to do research .

6) I know people who moved from miami and they do just fine.... one of my friends just moved back from brickell to st johns town center and he loves it... he lived in Jacksonville before and he said he missed the better traffic , better costumer service and the friendliness of people ...

Good luck !

Old 01-23-2018, 11:43 AM

6,840 posts, read 7,534,368 times
1) Are we crazy to move from MIA to JAX if we have decent jobs here already? (I prefer the lifestyle of a large city but we are faced with a great job opportunity that will allow us to make significantly more money.)

Depends. How much do you love MIA? How much more will you be making? The financial difference may allow you to upgrade your lifestyle and travel to big cities more often.

Yes, safe enough for most people.

3) Is the St. Johns town center area safe?

Yes yes yes. It not only is safe but looks and feels safe too.

4) Is the city starting to become more diverse?

Yes.

5) Are there a lot of activities for young professionals?

Hmm, most of your questions here are relative, but this one is very much so. I'd lean towards saying no, but obviously it depends on what is a lot to you.

6) Anyone in Jacksonville make a similar move in the last year or so? If so, how as your experience?

No, I made the opposite lol. It's been good but I'm a little older and have kids now.

Well, I would ask where you live in Miami currently. And what level of diversity, excitement, vibrancy, amenities, and activities are enough for you. In every way, Jax will offer less of those things. But it's not devoid of it and for far less cost you can get some really nice things.

I would personally choose Riverside over the St Johns Town Center area. Far more character and local businesses. The only way I might consider SJTC is if I was working there...then to avoid the horrendous traffic I would commute by bike lol. The other option is the beaches, which is probably the best concentration of activity, vibrancy, and nightlife. It's a good wild card but if you work downtown then that's a bit of a hike to deal with everyday.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post

Depends. How much do you love MIA? How much more will you be making? The financial difference may allow you to upgrade your lifestyle and travel to big cities more often.

Yes, safe enough for most people.

Well, I would ask where you live in Miami currently. And what level of diversity, excitement, vibrancy, amenities, and activities are enough for you. In every way, Jax will offer less of those things. But it's not devoid of it and for far less cost you can get some really nice things.

-Miami is home, and I love it for that reason along with it being a metropolitan and diverse city. The financial difference is absolutely enough to upgrade our lifestyle, but that doesn't matter to me if I am going to hate JAX.

-I don't care too much about clubbing and all the things that Miami is known for. I just care for young, diverse, and friendly people. And of course, safety. I am really big on safety.

-You moved to Miami? What do you like better about Miami?

Thanks for your help!

Old 01-23-2018, 12:06 PM

And what do you mean by most people when you say Riverside is safe? What kind of crime happens?

Old 01-23-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jada_yel View Post
1) you are not crazy for moving from miami to jax.... however you won't find the fast life style of south beach.... It is a lot more calmer here including the beach night life. More family oriented and a bit more southern feeling to it ...

2) Riverside is a safe.

3) st johns town center is safe but there will be plenty of ppl travelling from other neighborhoods because of more big box store and chain restaurants being located there... also plenty of parking ... I think Riverside has a better community feeling to it... st johns is growing very fast with a lot of construction... traffic might be a nightmare in a few years.

4) city is diverse with other races and cultures... not as much as hispanic culture but you will still hear spanish speaking ppl here and there unless you live far out in the suburbs. Suburbs might be less diverse...

5) there are things to do but you need to do research .

6) I know people who moved from miami and they do just fine.... one of my friends just moved back from brickell to st johns town center and he loves it... he lived in Jacksonville before and he said he missed the better traffic , better costumer service and the friendliness of people ...

Good luck !
Thanks! Any recommendations on apartment buildings and places to see in JAX?

Old 01-23-2018, 12:17 PM

6,446 posts, read 3,886,830 times
Jacksonville is much more friendly than Miami. Although, that's not hard to do. Even Fort Lauderdale is much friendlier. Miami is probably the least friendly city in America, and I lived in 3 states, countless towns, 3 major metro areas (including Miami) and have visited many other state. Anywhere north of Dade has friendlier people and better customer service.

I say make the move. If you don't like how it goes you can always move back and you will only be 5 hours away anyway. I moved out of Miami/Florida and it was the best thing for me, though personally I don't like Miami and my personality draws me to places extremely different.

You will find diversity, safety and young friendly people in any big enough city. Idk stats but I am sure Jax is safer than Miami though Idk if it's "SAFE safe." Sadly most major cities have it's share of ghetto and scummy areas, but if you can afford not living in places like that you will be fine.

Old 01-23-2018, 04:31 PM

6,840 posts, read 7,534,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIA2JAX View Post
-Miami is home, and I love it for that reason along with it being a metropolitan and diverse city. The financial difference is absolutely enough to upgrade our lifestyle, but that doesn't matter to me if I am going to hate JAX.

-I don't care too much about clubbing and all the things that Miami is known for. I just care for young, diverse, and friendly people. And of course, safety. I am really big on safety.

-You moved to Miami? What do you like better about Miami?

Thanks for your help!
Haha I'm the same way with Jax. It's my home home and I love it. Honestly I am not sure if you'll hate Jax or not. It's certainly possible you will love it, and also possible that you will hate it. I know many people from larger cities who feel both ways about Jax after moving there.

I think people are definitely friendly, and in the circles I ran in definitely plenty young and diverse. But that's relative and there may not be the sheer population of both that you're seeking.

Yeah, I like Miami just fine. It offers some major amenities that I didnt have in Jax. More diverse restaurants, more airport options, more arts, culture and sports events. But then again I don't leave the house all that much, and now I spend most of time with my young family so it's really apples and oranges. And actually I moved from a walkable urban core neighborhood in Jax (San Marco) to a sprawly suburban traffic jam (Doral) so it wasn't a lateral move within metro areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIA2JAX View Post
And what do you mean by most people when you say Riverside is safe? What kind of crime happens?
Hm after reading my wording, I should say that I didnt mean a certain type of people are targeted more for crimes. What I meant is most people find it safe. Some people who have a low tolerance for gritty streets, "weird" or different looking people, crowds at night, etc might not find it the safest.

Old 01-23-2018, 05:38 PM

375 posts, read 273,162 times
Money talks...I think the Jax area is large enough you could find what you like and stick to that area. Jax metro, jax bch, norther st johns, st aug etc...

You can find city living, beach living (young party crowd or relaxed), country living, river front, rural etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or