U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2018, 09:38 AM

5,197 posts, read 3,651,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
Couple points I'd like to make:

1. St. Johns schools are somewhat overrated.
I'm slowly coming onboard with this mindset. We're finding that our particular SJC school is becoming so overcrowded that the students can easily become lost in the shuffle. I don't know what the requirements are but my child's particular class is up to 26 children with one teacher and one teaching assistant and I've heard grumblings from other parents that the child-to-teacher ratios in their classrooms are trending the wrong way too.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 10:22 AM

94 posts, read 81,872 times
People considering a move to SJC strictly for the public schools need to take this to heart. Overcrowding is a current and real problem that has no end in sight.

I'm curious on SS thoughts about this being 2008 all over again. Does ANYONE else see this?

Old 01-31-2018, 11:04 AM

I looked it up out of curiosity and here are the teacher to student ratios in FL:

18 students in prekindergarten through grade 3;
22 students in grades 4 through 8; and
25 students in grades 9 through 12.

My child is in 1st grade and nowhere near 18. I don't know that having a second teacher really does much, from what I hear it's still a "lead" teacher running things and the "assistant" sort of herding the sheep, so to speak.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:50 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,489,986 times
The teaching "assistant" in those classrooms is a fully, degreed, certified teacher who meets all the requirements to teach in a classroom by themselves or as a lead teacher with an "assistant" when an openning comes up. These "assistants" have chosen to accept a much lesser pay scale to be an assistant because they really want to teach in St. Johns County, rather than in Duval. This program of teaching "assistants" being in the classrooms whose student counts are over the max, is an innovation that St Johns uses to cut costs of openning another physical classroom when student counts rise just over the max allowed per teacher. A better term than "assistant" is "second teacher" and i can assure you that they do much more than "herding sheep"! I am not an employee of St. Johns Public Schools nor are any of my family members, but I am very familiar with what is happening in our schools through volunteering in the schools and acquaintances who are teaching there.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:22 AM

I'm not sure I follow how simply sticking a second teacher in an already overly maxed out classroom constitutes "innovation" but it still doesn't solve the overcrowding problem. Sorry if my verbiage offends you, I call it like I see/hear it.

Old 02-06-2018, 05:31 AM

45 posts, read 58,394 times
Since posting last I have taken some of your advice and looked at various communities in PVB and West of 95. I've also gone to a number of open houses. I also looked at the communities that are being built between 95,1 and 210. A couple of follow-up questions:

1. PVB seems to have a pretty low inventory of 4+ bedroom homes with a bit of a back yard in my price range. There are many in the 6 to 800k range. I know that's good for buyers as prices can stay up, but is it normal for the area?
2. David Weekly new homes are very nice and I've heard that they are quality homes. But they start high and get pricey very very quickly. Does anyone have an opinion of Lennar homes?
3. Can anyone speak of the St John's Country Club and the community there? It is much further away from the beach but I've seen 2 very nice homes there and was wondering if it is a desirable community and if you guys know anything about what it's like to live there.

On the tangent topic of large groups of kids in a classroom, I fully agree with what was said, that you can't double the classroom size, stick a second teacher in there and expect the quality of education to stay the same. Just like a company cannot double in size overnight by hiring more people due to more business and expect its culture and performance to stay the same. The larger the group of kids, the more complexity you will have to deal with to teach them and this complexity doesn't have a linear growth. Just sticking another person in there doesn't solve the problem. Building schools will always fall behind population growth for a number of reason ( that are beyond the scope of this original topic) irrespective of state or county. But after all, this is a nationwide issue in all the areas that are seeing a lot of growth.

Old 02-06-2018, 06:41 AM

Are you referring to St. John's Golf and Country Club (SJGCC) on 210?
I lived there for 7+ years and can help if that's the n'hood in question.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:00 PM

45 posts, read 58,394 times
Yes, that's the one! Any info would be very much appreciated

Old 02-07-2018, 09:29 PM

Overall, SJGCC is a great neighborhood with a lot going for it, so I'll start with the pros.

Golf Course community, well maintained with many houses backed to the course. Impressive grounds and nice clubhouse. Strong HOA with active committees committed to maintaining the value of the neighborhood. Always something to do with lots of family focused activities. People outside all the time. All essential needs within minutes. Easy access to the interstate. Zoned for k-8 school (not sure what you're used to, but that's the trend in SJC and people seem to like.) Established neighborhood (built out) with mature trees and long time residents. That's a good thing, Florida can be very transient! It has really maintained its integrity as one of the "older" neighborhoods in northern SJC, imo.

Now to SOME of the reasons we moved (personal preference!): Easy access to the interstate. We did not have the need nor desire to be located near the interstate. Stand on the back lanai of the homes you are looking at and listen. Depending on where your house is in the neighborhood, a constant hum/buzz of cars can be heard from 95. The truck stops at the exits can become congested, as can the entire area during morning commutes when accidents occur. Total standstills. 210 is becoming very built up, a sign of a thriving/prosperous area to some...others, a congested nightmare. Visit the area at all times of day. SJGCC is zoned for Liberty Pines Academy (LPA). The k-8 schools are massive and overcrowded. It wasn't our cup of tea, nor did we share previous principal's vision on education. There is new leadership there now, so I cannot comment on the current atmosphere. Do your homework, visit the school and decide for yourself.

The take-away from 1 person's experience....LOVED the neighborhood, homes and people. Ultimately did not desire the location of the neighborhood. There are things I miss, mainly the small town feel within the neighborhood. Everyone knows each other. That was a positive for me. That said, I do not miss 210 corridor in general. When my husband and I were in college in the late 90's he caddied on 210....such a LONG commute from St. Augustine. The only thing there was Cimarron Golf Club (his employer) and a Hardee's lol.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:24 PM

14 posts, read 12,487 times
2) ShakenStirred's advice on builders is pretty solid. If you search this forum, you will see he has a lot of experience and provided good insight on the homebuilding process good, bad, and ugly.

Our home was built by David Weekley in Nocatee 19 months and I can't say enough about their build quality and customer service during and after the build process. We had a few minor problems during the 1st year but each was addressed very quickly. We had a problem with our garage door after the 1 year warranty and the garage door company told us the issue was related to the original install. Contacted David Weekley warranty representative (local) and they reimbursed us for the repair. Google David Weekley "Reviews and Complaints" and compare them to Lennar's and other builders.

St. Johns has a number of nice communities, we chose Nocatee because it met most of what we were looking for in a community. It's not perfect, but what is? Good luck in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or