U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 06:58 AM

384 posts, read 349,479 times

Advertisements

I am not sure you have received enough feedback to your original questions, but I think if you want any specifics on what people might suggest for neighborhoods your going to have to give us a general budget range. You say cheap, what does that mean to you? Also, are you looking for something, urban? or in the country, suburbs?They are all near the beach by your criteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 08:57 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,508,582 times
$200,000 or less, preferably.

Old 02-09-2018, 11:08 AM

6,871 posts, read 7,571,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtrainoff View Post
I don't think you would want to live where $200k homes would be located!

As a side note, I'm Jewish as well; can't find a good deli in any area, I travel to New York City to get my fix.
Sure you can.

This looks pretty nice in a great location:
https://www.redfin.com/FL/Jacksonvil.../home/61715302

This one isn't as nice and location is more a B+/A- but it's less than a mile from JCA and the oldest Jewish Temple in town. (Christian churches are everywhere obviously)

https://www.redfin.com/FL/Jacksonvil.../home/72766371

Old 02-09-2018, 11:27 AM

384 posts, read 349,479 times
Well we all have different standards. I am quite confident you can find lots of decent places under $200,000 in perfectly nice areas. I live on Amelia Island which property values here are really highly inflated. Going up every day. That said, depending on what you will settle for you can still buy a place on the island under 200K. It is going to be small, a little cottage. Lots of florida older homes are quite small compared to where you are from. My house is 750sq ft but it is fine for my wife and I as a seasonal home. Also in that range you will want to be on board with finances, hooked in to a realtor and watching for listings daily. Your bottom fishing on the island and there is a lot of competition from people like you. Now, if you just want a home anywhere in Jacksonville or the surrounding metro area there are lots of homes listed in that range. I personally would not want to live in JAX if it is my get away home, but to each there own. I do not know enough about what areas around JAX you would want to avoid, ask others. Here is a place right up the street from me. quick walk to town, walk to beach. completely safe.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...7-80057#photo2

Old 02-09-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Sure you can.

This looks pretty nice in a great location:
https://www.redfin.com/FL/Jacksonvil.../home/61715302

This one isn't as nice and location is more a B+/A- but it's less than a mile from JCA and the oldest Jewish Temple in town. (Christian churches are everywhere obviously)

https://www.redfin.com/FL/Jacksonvil.../home/72766371

Yes. A simple house. I'm over the trophy house. Mandarin is nice.

Old 02-09-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtrainoff View Post
I don't think you would want to live where $200k homes would be located!

As a side note, I'm Jewish as well; can't find a good deli in any area, I travel to New York City to get my fix.
I'm originally from Brooklyn NY. (I say that because there's a Brooklyn Cleveland, also) and there is one Jewish deli near me. One. And it's 15 minutes away.

No decent bagels outside of Cleveland - except at that deli I mentioned, which also sells cream cheese and lox.

How are bagels down there?

I'm not observant at all. But I don't like to be the one and only. I pretty much am here, but there are a few others. We have a temple that hasn't had a rabbi in years.

We're empty nesters, so schools are not a concern.

Old 02-09-2018, 05:55 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,007,790 times
The Jewish center is awesome and has free concerts from the Jax Philharmonic. Its far from where we live. The Jewish area is located in Mandarin. I am not observant and haven't been to services in years (I am from anti-semitic Buffalo where being Jewish was something you didn't advertise). I haven't found a decent deli outside of NYC (my original home town). I remember the Carnegie, Stage in their primes and nowadays there isn't much like that. The best Challah is at BJ's (imported from Brooklyn of course)

Old 02-10-2018, 03:39 PM

We are also not opposed to racially diverse communities with bad schools since our kids are in top colleges or have graduated. You cant talk about that with realtors.

Old 02-10-2018, 03:54 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,007,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
We are also not opposed to racially diverse communities with bad schools since our kids are in top colleges or have graduated. You cant talk about that with realtors.
You can't about anything with a Realtor. A few years back we were looking in SW Florida. We found a house we really liked. The neighborhood was fine but getting there you passed a few sketchy areas (Pawn Shops, lots of Dollar stores and some run down housing. We repeatedly asked him about this and he replied, no problem. We bought the house and a few days later I was perusing the online paper and there was an article about sex offenders. They listed a website and for fun I plugged in our address. It came up with 150 sex offenders in a 4 mile radius. I called the Realtor and he was "surprised". Anyway we cancelled the transaction without penalty and didn't buy there.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
You can't about anything with a Realtor. A few years back we were looking in SW Florida. We found a house we really liked. The neighborhood was fine but getting there you passed a few sketchy areas (Pawn Shops, lots of Dollar stores and some run down housing. We repeatedly asked him about this and he replied, no problem. We bought the house and a few days later I was perusing the online paper and there was an article about sex offenders. They listed a website and for fun I plugged in our address. It came up with 150 sex offenders in a 4 mile radius. I called the Realtor and he was "surprised". Anyway we cancelled the transaction without penalty and didn't buy there.

I know! It's gotten to the point of the absurd.

And YES - that has been done to us before. The house looks wonderful online. Realtors won't even tell you about the quality of the schools anymore. - Not this move, but when the kids were younger.

I'm glad your money was returned with out penalty. 150 sex offenders???...Jeez.

Realtors can't say or do much. Which is why it's good to talk to locals. And, why people come to City Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or