U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 02:29 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,505,902 times

Advertisements

When you are originally from a certain area, there is a certain degree of conveyed acceptance from other locals. This would extend to minority religions, minority and political leanings.

As a transplant, it is more difficult to be accepted.

Why move hundreds of miles away to another region to be not only a stranger, but a person who holds unpopular views?

Moving is enough of a stress with out the additional strain of being different, ideologically from most of your new neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 09:31 AM

705 posts, read 416,718 times
I have actually found this post useful, as one gets older (we are fully retired but active) we look for the opposite. We prefer areas with no kids at all, adult children are fine. We just do not want to have children in the streets in front of our home. We also use less of the amenities that others seem to like so well. In fact the total opposite of what has been recommended here. We just are looking for a nice quiet well maintained area. Thanks for all the great info.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:26 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,505,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shokwaverider View Post
I have actually found this post useful, as one gets older (we are fully retired but active) we look for the opposite. We prefer areas with no kids at all, adult children are fine. We just do not want to have children in the streets in front of our home. We also use less of the amenities that others seem to like so well. In fact the total opposite of what has been recommended here. We just are looking for a nice quiet well maintained area. Thanks for all the great info.
Where is this "opposite"? We also have young adult children and no grandkids. We are really not interested in living in an area of 30 somethings.

I like diverse. We have friends of a variety of ages. I'm 61, and we have friends in their mid to late 40s.

The thing is, we do not want to be the minority anything.

You are born where you're from. If you are different from the other locals, they will still accept you, because they are like you. From Pleasantville USA or where ever.

When you are a transplant and you have no roots or connections in the area, it is good to know that there are others who share your perspective, do not hate your religion - or lack of religion, are open to people from your part of the country, and are generally, friendly and welcoming.

Old 03-01-2018, 04:45 AM

318 posts, read 368,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Man. 74 people have looked at this and NO ONE can give me a little feed back???
Your post focuses on religion and politics and your personal choices regarding each.

Are you chatting about politics and religion with your neighbors?

That will NOT make you popular, trust me.

Those choices are PERSONAL and should not affect where you choose to live.

Unless you are prejudiced against others, that is.

I think you want to pick up your Ohio neighborhood and move it to Fla. Think about how adaptable you are and how flexible you are. Moving to a new area is going to push you outside of your comfort zone. If you don't think you can handle people who are different from you... then... well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or