U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 10:55 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,501,956 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a second home in a warmer climate for winters. We are not yet ready to leave our home in Ohio full time. I work from home, and my wife has a her own online business.

While we are empty nesters, grands may or may not happen. They are a long way off and our kids don't live in Ohio. Or anywhere close.

Winters are getting to us. Eventually, we may relocate to FL full time, but not yet. Retirement is not in our future.

Ohio is a swing state. There are many political perspectives here, but people are not "in your face" about them. They kind of keep politics to themselves. We don't even know the politics of half of our friends and acquaintances.

We are concerned that Jacksonville might be a hot bed of extreme conservatism.Will we be out of place because we did not vote for Trump? We were not fans of Clinton either.

Are there moderate people in JAX? My wife is Christian. Are most of the churches there Evangelical?

We think the area is beautiful, and we like the climate. We also like the fact that compared to S.Florida.it is relatively affordable.

I am Jewish but I don't practice. More culturally Jewish. Are there other non practicing Jews there?

Thanks in advance for any help. I do realize that much of this information can be found on the internet. However, we wanted to hear it from actual residents.
Also, in our opinion, the last election was not truly representative of people's opinions. Here in OH, many people voted for Trump, or did not vote, because they were disenchanted by Hillary.

Would we fit in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 06:30 PM

Man. 74 people have looked at this and NO ONE can give me a little feed back???

Old 02-01-2018, 08:14 PM

6,851 posts, read 7,552,842 times
Ok I'll take a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Winters are getting to us. Eventually, we may relocate to FL full time, but not yet. Retirement is not in our future.
This is good. Jax can still have winter but I'm sure you'll much prefer it. We get freezing temps for about 3 weeks each winter season. It comes and goes. Of course there are stretches in Jan and Feb where it's in the 70s and awesome.

Quote:
We are concerned that Jacksonville might be a hot bed of extreme conservatism.Will we be out of place because we did not vote for Trump? We were not fans of Clinton either.

Are there moderate people in JAX?
Yes. Jax is pretty divided and in this day and age I'd say a lot of people can be in your face. But that said, it is pretty evenly divided so you're not alone, whatever you feel. Including moderates.

Quote:
My wife is Christian. Are most of the churches there Evangelical?

We think the area is beautiful, and we like the climate. We also like the fact that compared to S.Florida.it is relatively affordable.

I am Jewish but I don't practice. More culturally Jewish. Are there other non practicing Jews there?
It seems like many churches are evangelical. But there's a broad diversity of denominations. And I think a lot of cultural Jews as well. Not a lot compared to NYC or South FL, but more than the national avg. I think.

Quote:
Would we fit in?
Sure!

Old 02-02-2018, 06:08 AM

4,996 posts, read 3,529,911 times
I think most of us now avoid anything even remotely touching politics on here like the plague.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:28 PM

Thank you both! + 1 for each of you.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:30 AM

705 posts, read 415,254 times
I personally would not move to JAX itself. I would go further South about 50 - 100 miles (unless you need to work). Jax seems to get a lot more rain than just a little further south. We live about ~70 miles from Jax and our weather is definitely a little better. Currently the difference is 12*F warmer.

Old 02-03-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shokwaverider View Post
I personally would not move to JAX itself. I would go further South about 50 - 100 miles (unless you need to work). Jax seems to get a lot more rain than just a little further south. We live about ~70 miles from Jax and our weather is definitely a little better. Currently the difference is 12*F warmer.
Thanks for your input. What are the names of some of the communities that you recommend?

We are trying to keep the price of the home low, because we are really not ready to let go of our home in OH. We may want to keep it, to pass on to our kids.

My wife's ideal home would be a funky mid century modern ranch or perhaps a tri-level or split level. My wife is involved with 50s and 60s antiques and decorating.

She doesn't care about granite and stainless - we have that at home. She'd love a well maintained but "dated" 50s - 60s house to decorate in her unique style.

I appreciate the responses. Rep all around to anyone who gives helpful info.

Old 02-03-2018, 05:31 PM

705 posts, read 415,254 times
Quote:
Thanks for your input. What are the names of some of the communities that you recommend?

We are trying to keep the price of the home low, because we are really not ready to let go of our home in OH. We may want to keep it, to pass on to our kids.

My wife's ideal home would be a funky mid century modern ranch or perhaps a tri-level or split level. My wife is involved with 50s and 60s antiques and decorating.

She doesn't care about granite and stainless - we have that at home. She'd love a well maintained but "dated" 50s - 60s house to decorate in her unique style.

I appreciate the responses. Rep all around to anyone who gives helpful info.
There are a lot to choose from but budget and proximity to the beach will drive everything. Be careful of hi tax communities (Homes with CDD Bonds). Get a home that is made from Concrete Block vs "Sticks". Real Estate Agents rarely tell you this. Also Look for an elevation of 8 - 10'. It is hard to avoid flood zones in the nicer communities within 5 miles of the beach.

There is as you go south: Pointe Vedra, St. Augustine (We live there), Palm Coast, Daytona (Yuk!) Ormond Beach, New Smyrna.

We are beachy types so all these communities are close to the beach.

Palm Coast has reasonable prices but some of the areas are quite bland (We marked them "Ho Hum..." on the map when we are looking. Others are quite nice ("C" Section). I do not remember seeing any really BAD areas in Palm coast the last time I looked. But again do not buy a "Stick" home they are a lot more expensive to insure. Try to stick to Post 2002 builds too. Palm Coast was where we looked when we first came to Florida, but chose St. Auggie for it's charm, but we paid a lot more for the home than we would have done in Palm Coast.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:38 AM

384 posts, read 347,985 times
lots and lots of people from ohio here on amelia island. This whole area is trump country overall. You don't have to get drawn into it if you do not want. I just let it pass, but it is not unusual to hear peoples right wing opinions if your out in a group, like golfing or out at a bar. Jax is also a military town so you have a lot of that stuff too. Lots of flag waiving and patriotic hero worship. In terms of christian stuff, well I don't think it matters what church you belong to because there has to be one of those around. I think on amelia island every other building is a church. There are a lot of bible thumpers here. Your going to get blessed alot. Once I was walking down the street and got into a conversation with a neighbor and after talking about our kids he wanted to hold hands and pray..this is out on the sidewalk and I am not even a christian. What can I say I just went with it, he had good intentions. So religion is prominent and as long as you are any type of christian you will be welcomed and find a congregation that suits you. As far as Jews go? well you did kill Jesus so not sure..just kidding. I really do not know about any jews here. I am sure they are around. There is no synagogue I know of. I believe I saw something the paper where they meet in someones home for service. As far as homes, you probably need to tell us a price range. I see people saying pointe vedre is nice....yes if your a millionaire. Generally a lot of homes are in developments so if you want something funky and not one mass produced identical to all the others around you that will really change where you will be.

Old 02-06-2018, 04:59 PM

Anyplace is close to the beach to us. We live in OH. So, a 25 minute drive to the Ocean is no biggie.

We are looking for mid century construction. We don't care if the homes are similar. Most houses in the 50s 60s were built in subdivisions, so they will be similar in style.
Older subdivisions also, usually have mature plantings, and they are not as close together.

If the house was not remodeled in the 80s - now - we'd be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or