Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2018, 10:55 PM

1 posts, read 604 times

Advertisements

Yup, another school question for a soon to be relocater.

Hello,
A NY'er here moving down in a few months with my family including a son entering first grade. I have heard great things about the St. John's schools (#1 in Florida). Now I'm coming from the Northeast where education is taken very seriously, or at least I do. How does the St. John's schools stand up to former Nor Easters or NY'ers opinions of education?

This is by no means any disrespect to Floridians. Just I've heard that Florida schooling is known to be a little lacking, or lacking compared to other areas in the country. I'm not starting anything here, just paraphrasing what I am hearing over again and again. I'm really on the fence about public or a few private christian schools. Not a lot of information available there either, aside from the standard sales pitch from the private schools.

Thanks everyone. And yes, I am doing searches on this but thought I'd just throw this out and ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 05:59 AM

85 posts, read 202,714 times
My husband and I both grew up in excellent school systems in the northeast (Long Island and NJ, respectively). We still have many friends and family raising kids in the New York area, and have found the education our kids are getting in St. Johns county to be at least as good as in the districts we know up north. My husband does alumni interviews for his Ivy League alma mater, and finds the graduating seniors here to be well-prepared.

When we first moved to Florida, our boys were in a private school in Jacksonville, and I would not hesitate to say the overall quality of their education since moving to the St. Johns public schools has been superior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville