Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2018, 07:46 AM

3 posts, read 1,632 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

Can anyone share their experience with moving to Nocatee with a 10, 11, or 12-year-old boy? Specifically, I'm looking for how easy or difficult it was for your son to make friends. I always thought it was easier (socially) if the kid was much younger, so hoping to hear some positive stories. TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 09:10 AM

661 posts, read 866,916 times
We moved to Nocatee (20 mile area) just over a year ago. There are tons of kids here and I would say more are younger (toddlers/babies/ elementary age) but there are still plenty of 10, 12 and older. It does take some time to make friends especially since kids are so shy. Add on the fact that kids these days are so glued to youtube, instagram, video games etc also adds challenges.

I have kids that are 12 and 14 and they have a few friends that live close by so they can hang out (and watch youtube lol). Some parents try to plan with other parents to 'accidentally' be in the same place at the same time like a park or pool. All it takes is for your kid to learn that the kid down the street is just like him/her then they click. Like "oh you like to ride scooters too? or oh you like minecraft, legos whatever"

There are events and things that make it easier too like food truck fridays, farmers market, holiday things etc where kids might see someone they recognize at school and didn't know they lived nearby and then they start playing or whatever.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:25 PM

110 posts, read 146,377 times
We moved to Noc when our older kids were 12, 11, 8 - they all made friends easily. We moved to the beach in '16 and my older two kept a lot of friendships with the kids they met then. My now 12-year-old did not. She moved on to new friends at her new school, but she makes friends easy anyway.

For the most part, kids are kids and in Noc they have all been "the new kid" at some time, so they are nice. There are a few that are little a$$es, but that is everywhere - just get to know who your kid hangs out with and you will be fine. Ours do not hang out on YouTube and social media much and they rarely play video games - I mean they do a bit, but they are more likely found outside fishing, at the beach or wanting to be driven somewhere like the movies, town center, or such.

I think that your son will be fine - kids are resilient!

Old 03-09-2018, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromicide View Post
We moved to Nocatee (20 mile area) just over a year ago. There are tons of kids here and I would say more are younger (toddlers/babies/ elementary age) but there are still plenty of 10, 12 and older. It does take some time to make friends especially since kids are so shy. Add on the fact that kids these days are so glued to youtube, instagram, video games etc also adds challenges.

I have kids that are 12 and 14 and they have a few friends that live close by so they can hang out (and watch youtube lol). Some parents try to plan with other parents to 'accidentally' be in the same place at the same time like a park or pool. All it takes is for your kid to learn that the kid down the street is just like him/her then they click. Like "oh you like to ride scooters too? or oh you like minecraft, legos whatever"

There are events and things that make it easier too like food truck fridays, farmers market, holiday things etc where kids might see someone they recognize at school and didn't know they lived nearby and then they start playing or whatever.
Thanks for your response and good points! My son is shy at first, but give him a little time and he's completely goofy and loves to play with others. It just takes him some time to warm up.

I used to live in Jacksonville for a few years after I got married and have since returned to the Chicago 'burbs. In our time down there, my husband and I were overwhelmed with how friendly and hospitable people were. We loved it and miss it. I'm hoping my son would have the same experience!

Old 03-09-2018, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax2PVB View Post
We moved to Noc when our older kids were 12, 11, 8 - they all made friends easily. We moved to the beach in '16 and my older two kept a lot of friendships with the kids they met then. My now 12-year-old did not. She moved on to new friends at her new school, but she makes friends easy anyway.

For the most part, kids are kids and in Noc they have all been "the new kid" at some time, so they are nice. There are a few that are little a$$es, but that is everywhere - just get to know who your kid hangs out with and you will be fine. Ours do not hang out on YouTube and social media much and they rarely play video games - I mean they do a bit, but they are more likely found outside fishing, at the beach or wanting to be driven somewhere like the movies, town center, or such.

I think that your son will be fine - kids are resilient!
Thank you so much for sharing! I'm happy to hear your kids had a good experience when moving to Nocatee. I always thought it would be easier to move to a place like Nocatee with older kids for the very same reason you stated: they have all been the new kid at some point. I think there would be an understanding and therefore a willingness to make friends with "the new kid".

My boys (10 and 6) do play video games, too, but only on the weekends. They love to be outside and exploring. And if you put them on a beach, they'll entertain themselves for hours!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville