Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 12:37 PM

203 posts, read 310,715 times

Advertisements

Hi All, We will be going back down to the area in few months to purchase our new home. Does anyone know about this community? We have seen the other communities right near it but did not get a chance to look at this one on our last visit. I know it is smaller and it has a nice amenity center. Safe, family friendly?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 01:09 PM

9,394 posts, read 8,360,377 times
We have friends over there. I feel like you can get more house for the buck in that community vs. some that surround it (SJ Golf and CC, Durbin Crossing, St Johns Forest, as examples). That might be due to it being a smaller community with what I would call average amenities. There is no golf course, the pool and amenity center are just sort of okay. But definitely safe and family friendly.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:59 PM

Awesome. Thanks! Yes we lik that it’s smaller. I thought their community pool was great. Not interested in golf although a golf country club would be nice for the restaurant lol. St John’s Golf is one of our faves but seems much higher priced than South Hampton and Cimarrone.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:38 AM

If you don't need golf, there are still a ton of homes off of the 210 corridor that you can choose from. If you venture a little further you open yourself up to many more communities like Julington Creek Plantation. Choices are limitless!

Old 02-16-2018, 11:54 AM

Thanks Florida2014. We are looking at both 210 and Race Track Rd communities.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:09 AM

110 posts, read 146,455 times
Most Race Track areas that are in SJ schools will be Julington Creek. Great amenities and schools and great home options as it is huge, but divided into several smaller neighborhoods so it is not overwhelming. The only thing is that Julington still has CDDs so when looking, consider how much is left on the bond portion and see if you can pay that off (pre interest) at closing. Their CDDs were low, so it isn't much, but I don't think that Johns Creek have any at all. Lots going on in that area and if you go further west on 210 you may even avoid the upcoming (2-5 years) school zone shifts and there are a ton of new smaller communities popping up with no CDDs.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax2PVB View Post
Most Race Track areas that are in SJ schools will be Julington Creek. Great amenities and schools and great home options as it is huge, but divided into several smaller neighborhoods so it is not overwhelming. The only thing is that Julington still has CDDs so when looking, consider how much is left on the bond portion and see if you can pay that off (pre interest) at closing. Their CDDs were low, so it isn't much, but I don't think that Johns Creek have any at all. Lots going on in that area and if you go further west on 210 you may even avoid the upcoming (2-5 years) school zone shifts and there are a ton of new smaller communities popping up with no CDDs.
What school zone shifts are you referring to? Don't most communities on 210 go to Switzerland Point or Patriot Oaks Middle and Bartram Trails HS? How would that change?

Old 02-22-2018, 08:27 AM

There is a new K-8 school being built near the Aberdeen community and I suspect once those communities like Shearwater are completed they'll need to build even more schools and re-zone many kids. This is the unfortunate reality of living in this area currently with all of the growth.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:52 PM

110 posts, read 146,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
There is a new K-8 school being built near the Aberdeen community and I suspect once those communities like Shearwater are completed they'll need to build even more schools and re-zone many kids. This is the unfortunate reality of living in this area currently with all of the growth.
Yes, and further east where they are building Beach Walk they are bussing those kids all teh way to Palencia Elem and Pacetti MS! Crazy for those middle schoolers because Pacetti is like a 45 minute drive each way on a school bus. Also there is talk of a new HS coming in about 5 years but they haven't (as far as I know now) confirmed location. My gut says between 210 and Int'l Golf Parkway because the World Golf kids are also bussing all the way to Nease - which is like 26 miles each way in some cases like King and Bear and further west!

The only "safe" zones for not shifting right now (and not in proposed changes in the coming years) are the extreme northeast of the county (Ponte Vedra Beach- Not Nocatee, but the Beach zone), the extreme northwest of the county (Fruit Cove & Switzerland) and way down down south towards Menendez HS and St. Augustine HS. While St. Aug HS may get some new kids coming in, I have not heard of any currently zoned kids leaving the zone.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax2PVB View Post
You mention Bartram Trail but not Creekside. Creekside is a huge HS that takes half the 210 area kids. Bartram takes west and along the river, so you need to know the split, though with all the building along 210, and all the other areas of St. Johns, proposed zone shifts are in play. Some are beginning this coming year and some are "proposed" for 3-5 years out. They are building new schools, mostly k-8, which many like and many are not crazy about one school housing 4 (VPK) to 14 year olds in the same place. (Although these schools are K-8, most have the Florida VPK pre-k programs as well).

And just to clarify, Patriot Oaks is not a middle school - it is a K-8. If you are working with a realtor they should be able to explain this to you. Too many don't and then in a year or two the homeowners act shocked.....Do your research. My husband and I are both realtors, and we try diligently to stay on top of everything the SJCSD is trying to do to alleviate school crowding - because we OWE that much to our clients. Make sure your not being steered into a builder inventory home, especially if you are working with a realtor. While beautiful and new, these homes often offer "bonus commissions" so realtors love them. Also, the builder agents are not always the most informed on changes happening outside the community itself, like school zones, new roadways, the next phase of the community and what is being built, etc.

For example, I have a few friends that in 2013 paid a premium for a cul-de-sac lot that had a dirt road and trees behind it, so it appeared very private. Two years later in 2015, the owner on the other side of the cul-de-sac decided to take advantage of the area growth and he cleared the trees, paved the road and opened up RV storage - those homes that paid a premium now don't sell very well as they over look storage. (Just to clarify we moved here in 2014 and were NOT their agents - LOL)

Go to the district website. Call the school zoning office and ask for info on all the proposed new schools, zone changes, and possibilities before your buying. They may tell you that they cannot discuss changes that are not decided yet, but you can keep digging and try to meet some locals. St Johns county is HUGE and the schools are very popular for buyers, but with this much building going on in one place, the schools are bound to change and shift attendance zones.
Thanks, yes Julington Creek is one of our fave communities. Do you think JCP will always go to Creekside HS or be rezoned somewhere else? We would prefer only Creekside or Bartram Trails, Nease is too far to drive kids every day, and we prefer their friends to live closer. Do you think zone shifts will affect mostly the 210 communities on the east side of 210? We have a high schooler and middle schooler so we are hoping whatever school they start with they can stay in.
Thanks yes, we are working with a realtor and will definitely stay on top of this issue. We have no interest in new build so that makes things easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville