U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2018, 08:17 AM

48 posts, read 30,865 times

Advertisements

What are the commute times between the following areas -- realistically:

Jacksonville Beach to Downtown Jacksonville
Neptune Beach to Downtown Jacksonville
Fernandina beach to Downtown Jacksonville
Ponte Verda to Downtown
St Augustine to Downtown

I am hoping to move to the Jacksonville area in a year or so. I work in the financial field (brokerage) -- from what I understand Jacksonville is a hub for financial firms - is that correct?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 09:04 AM

3,688 posts, read 1,979,284 times
Try Google maps.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Try Google maps.
I want realistic times. Everything on google or other sites give a 25-30mins. But I want to hear from people who actually drive these routes. Is it stop and go or just distance?

Old 03-02-2018, 10:42 AM

3,688 posts, read 1,979,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySoCalGirl View Post
I want realistic times. Everything on google or other sites give a 25-30mins. But I want to hear from people who actually drive these routes. Is it stop and go or just distance?
Those are realistic times. Just plug in where you want to go and it will give you a time, depending on the time of day.

Old 03-02-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Those are realistic times. Just plug in where you want to go and it will give you a time, depending on the time of day.
Sounds like you've driven these routes at rush hours. Is it stop and go traffic?

Old 03-02-2018, 11:14 AM

6,840 posts, read 7,536,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySoCalGirl View Post
What are the commute times between the following areas -- realistically:

Jacksonville Beach to Downtown Jacksonville
Neptune Beach to Downtown Jacksonville
Fernandina beach to Downtown Jacksonville
Ponte Verda to Downtown
St Augustine to Downtown

I am hoping to move to the Jacksonville area in a year or so. I work in the financial field (brokerage) -- from what I understand Jacksonville is a hub for financial firms - is that correct?
It's a mini hub i guess. Not on the level of much larger metro areas but for our size it is good.
FYI a decent number of the financial companies are on the Southside of town around Deerwood Park and St Johns Town Center. This would be advantageous for all the commutes you asked about except Fernandina Beach.

Quote:
Yeah I find them fairly realistic, and to be honest I would be looking up on google maps to give an answer lol.

Portions of it can be bumper-to-bumper during certain times of the day. On the whole I wouldnt think it's that bad but at the wrong times you may get a little frustrated (adding maybe 15-30 min to your overall commute)

Old 03-04-2018, 05:53 PM

11,155 posts, read 14,749,749 times
I live on Hodges Blvd between FL-202 and Beach Blvd and commute every day to downtown Jacksonville. I use FL-202 ("JTB") then get onto I-95 north. My job is located in the Southbank section of downtown (just south of the St. John's River). My commute is fine, though there are a few segments of heavy traffic delays. The first segment is Hodges Blvd, which gets severely backed up and it takes like 6-8 minutes just to get to JTB when it should really take like 1-2 min without traffic. JTB itself is a breeze during the morning commute, but the slowdown happens right when you merge onto I-95, but only lasts for about 5 minutes, then it picks up to normal speeds and it's fine for the rest of the trip. So it typically takes me about 25 minutes. Of course, if you're coming from the beaches, it will take an extra 5-10 min.

The evening commute, however, is simply awful. It takes me on average about 40-45 minutes to get home. I-95 is horrible, stop and go for a few miles between downtown, but finally relieves after you pass the Emerson Rd exit, usually. Then, once you make it to JTB, you will likely experience pretty bad slowdown at random segments all the way until you pass the Kernan Blvd exit. After that, you're golden!

In my personal opinion, the beach communities are a bit too far for everyday commuting to downtown. Evening traffic is terrible, no matter which route you take.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:39 PM

23 posts, read 16,558 times
Been in Jacksonville for a couple months, and to me commute times are an average of 30 mins. Need to go to IKEA? 30mins. Want to go to the beach from SJ? 30mins. Rush hour is a little more.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:19 PM

30 posts, read 31,209 times
Another good tool is Waze. Plug in a planned drive and the time and does a pretty good estimate. As mentioned if in finance, most likely will be in Deerwood. Easy commute from Jax Beach. Almost no stop and go traffic once you get on JTB (202). I've worked with some of the banks in that area and was super easy commute.

Compared to living in Jersey and going into the City... That sucked if I ever had to drive. Driving seems to be the best option in Jax.

Old 03-26-2018, 07:22 PM

55 posts, read 50,816 times
I live in Atlantic Beach and work in Riverside. I leave around 6:45 and it takes me about 40-45 minutes. Going home at 5 pm it takes almost an hour. I am used to it now. I moved here 2 years ago from Syracuse, N.Y. where my drive from the suburbs to downtown was about 15 minutes! But living at the beach is so worth the commute time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or