U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2018, 08:18 PM

19 posts, read 9,460 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I’m looking for reliable, helpful, honest, realtors who could help us in a tight situation. My husband is doing a naval residency starting July 1, but we just found out he needs to be there to start June 1 for orientation. I have already bought tickets to arrive May 4 to search for a rental, and I’m freaking out a tiny bit not sure if I’ll find something. We’re looking in St Johns County and about $1200. Yeah we’re on a tight budget bc we’ve both got loans and I won’t be working for a bit. Also have a 5 yr old who is dictating where we go, for the excellent schools. Would like a condo or apt complex, 2 bedroom, 1.5 baths. I see a lot on Zillow but I am nervous they’re all old or not real. Any suggestions or names and contact info of people I can make appts with when I am there, would be so very appreciated!! Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 05:23 AM

383 posts, read 287,565 times
Realtors don't make money off people looking for rentals right? Many are 100% commission too which means if they offer up any help they are just being friendly.

If you notice on Zillow that some rentals list a mgmt company, maybe call the mgmt company and ask them for advice. They aren't always that helpful either from what I hear.

As for schools, being that your kid is only starting elementary school I wouldn't sweat the whole st johns county school thing. Plenty of elementary schools are A rated across Jacksonville. Why not choose something in your price range close to your husband's work. Check the area schools and see how they grade out.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:48 AM

2,455 posts, read 5,498,703 times
"Some" local real estate agents will show rentals, but as Gromicide mentioned, the amount of compensation they typically get doesn't justify the time spent showing the number of rentals that many tenants wish to see. So, that's why you'll have a tough time finding someone to show you around. Of course, what you could do is tell them that you're just renting for a year before you purchase, and your purchase budget will be around $750k, then "promise" that you'll use them as their buyer's agent when it comes time to buy. I'm sure some sucker will fall for that. (I'm only partially kidding)

Even though I'm in the PM business, I will only show properties that are handled by my company. I simply don't have time to show others' listings. And, unfortunately, I don't have any available listings in SJC.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:29 PM

19 posts, read 9,460 times
Thanks all! Yes, I'm finding that actually, the best thing is to go visit apartment complexes and their leasing offices for what we're looking for. We are just not ready to buy and with the navy ready to tell us to pick up at any time, it's not something we can entertain at the moment. I just talked to someone who gave me great info on her gated complex and it's in the range and no fees. Sounds amazing. Thanks for the insight, and hopefully this will be the place to get something!

Old 03-05-2018, 07:48 PM

383 posts, read 287,565 times
best of luck. There are tons of new nice apartments popping up in areas close to shopping, close to the interstate etc...Again I stress not to worry much about elementary school and being in the st johns district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or