U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,143 times

Advertisements

Any opinion on D.S. Ware Homes? We are in the looking stage right now but I keep getting drawn back to Dreamfinders

Old 05-12-2018, 10:23 PM

1,361 posts, read 1,065,406 times
Curious what you think of SEDA Construction.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:04 PM

382 posts, read 286,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasta69302 View Post
Any opinion on D.S. Ware Homes? We are in the looking stage right now but I keep getting drawn back to Dreamfinders
I had a DS house built in 2001 here in Jax. Prior to this, DS was known as building larger homes and this was their first venture in single family homes. For the first ten years of living in my small DS home I always talked bad about it. Then at around 14 years when I sold it, had an inspection, moved etc...I look back and think it wasn't a bad house at all. I did have a slab leak early on but hey houses settle. I never any roof leaks or other major issues with the house and my inspection went well so props to DS. Not sure where they rank today but an important thing is looking into the moisture barrier materials. What type of wrap is used and is it done correctly by professionals.This would be the layer that goes on after the house in framed and exterior walls are added.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:50 PM

2,081 posts, read 3,149,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasta69302 View Post
If I was to pick between the two, I would definitely go with Dreamfinders over D.S. Ware. I'm not saying D.S. Ware builds a bad house by any means, but Dreamfinders uses better materials and practices in some very important components of their construction methods, namely their moisture management and wall systems.

I can get into specifics if you'd like, but that's the bird's eye view at least.

SS

Old 07-11-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromicide View Post
I had a DS house built in 2001 here in Jax. Prior to this, DS was known as building larger homes and this was their first venture in single family homes. For the first ten years of living in my small DS home I always talked bad about it. Then at around 14 years when I sold it, had an inspection, moved etc...I look back and think it wasn't a bad house at all. I did have a slab leak early on but hey houses settle. I never any roof leaks or other major issues with the house and my inspection went well so props to DS. Not sure where they rank today but an important thing is looking into the moisture barrier materials. What type of wrap is used and is it done correctly by professionals.This would be the layer that goes on after the house in framed and exterior walls are added.

Unfortunately, and this may be a bit too scientific for some of you, they use a cross-woven, perforated WRB (or, housewrap) on their homes. These types of housewraps are perforated in order to achieve their permeability (the amount of moisture vapor that can pass through the product), so in essence, they make a complete vapor barrier, and then they punch holes in it to make it breathable. The also use a very cheap, low cost window & door flashing that is asphalt based, which doesn't provide nearly the protection of the newer butyl and acrylic flashings.

Woven, perforated housewraps leak, plain and simple. The worst of them today being the Surround product I have seen being used recently. I tested it and you might as well use paper towels as your housewrap. Well, paper towels absorb water, so they might work better, lol. Anyways, with so many non-woven, non-perforated products on the market today, it baffles me why any builder would elect to use the old woven, perforated products at all. It makes no sense.

Again, not saying they build a bad house, but they do cut corners in areas where corners shouldn't be cut.

SS

Old 07-11-2018, 03:03 PM

2 posts, read 1,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
Unfortunately, and this may be a bit too scientific for some of you, they use a cross-woven, perforated WRB (or, housewrap) on their homes. These types of housewraps are perforated in order to achieve their permeability (the amount of moisture vapor that can pass through the product), so in essence, they make a complete vapor barrier, and then they punch holes in it to make it breathable. The also use a very cheap, low cost window & door flashing that is asphalt based, which doesn't provide nearly the protection of the newer butyl and acrylic flashings.

Woven, perforated housewraps leak, plain and simple. The worst of them today being the Surround product I have seen being used recently. I tested it and you might as well use paper towels as your housewrap. Well, paper towels absorb water, so they might work better, lol. Anyways, with so many non-woven, non-perforated products on the market today, it baffles me why any builder would elect to use the old woven, perforated products at all. It makes no sense.

Again, not saying they build a bad house, but they do cut corners in areas where corners shouldn't be cut.

SS
Thank you for all of the information. I was curious what you thought of or what you've heard about Mattamy Homes?

Thanks!

Old 07-11-2018, 06:26 PM

60 posts, read 36,024 times
Surprised to see Pulte there.

Pulte started our townhome development, but they pulled out during the middle of construction and then Seda took over.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:29 AM

104 posts, read 137,722 times
Sporadic Quality is a good way to refer to Dostie Homes. Spec home buyers seem generally happy. Those like us who built a custom home from the ground up often have to life the first year of their home experience in a construction site with all the "redo" work from the crap subs since the quality was not watched as the home went up. If you use Dostie, be on site daily and bring your own level so you can be the eyes and address issues as they come up. Build long distance at your own risk to your sanity.

Old 07-14-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackcity View Post
Thank you for all of the information. I was curious what you thought of or what you've heard about Mattamy Homes?

Thanks!
Mattamy uses Tyvek HomeWrap, the very 1st housewrap invented. It is a nonwoven, nonperforated product, which is what I recommend for Florida. However, Tyvek was invented in Chicago, IL, and as a high perm product, it is not ideal for a hot, humid climate like Florida.

Perm ratings (Permeability) specifies the amount of moisture that can pass "through" the microscopic holes in the fibers of the housewrap.

I'm going to give you a simple example....when you take a hot shower, the moisture condenses on your mirror or glass, and as it continues to accumulate and cool off, it then turns back in to bulk water that runs down your glass and leaves those streaks.

Ok, so inside your walls, the same process is occurring. The inside of your home is cool from the AC, and outside if full of hot, moisture laden air. Simple physics dictate that hot always travels to cold, so the hot, humid moist air outside is constantly trying to get through your wall into your home most of the year in Florida.

The perm rating of a housewrap determines how much of that "moisture vapor" (or the condensation on your mirror) can get through the housewrap and inside your home. See what happens is, once it get through the housewrap, it then turns back into bulk water and is now trapped on the wrong side of the housewrap, against your OSB, where it can lead to deterioration over time.

Up north where it's colder, most houses breathe to the outside, so a higher perm rating is good, it let's the moisture out. Down here in Florida, High perm is bad, as it lets too much moisture into the home, then traps it inside the wall.

In Florida, the ideal perm rating for a housewrap is between 5 - 15. (5 happens to be the minimum code requirement for Florida). They Tyvek has a perm rating of 58 or 59.

So while the Tyvek is my last choice for a nonwoven, nonperforated product, it is still superior to the cheaper cross woven, perforated products like Green Guard, Surround, Lowe's wrap, etc. As long as you get a qualified installation company installing the Tyvek, you should be alright, but I would not recommend it under stucco as the surfactants in stucco have been known to deteriorate the Tyvek.

This all get kind of complicated because even though, say Surround, a cross woven perforated product has a great perm rating of 10, it's perforated characteristic rate it as a cheap ineffective product, and just like the condensation on your mirror runs down the glass, the moisture inside your walls is running down in the same manner, and will penetrate the perforations in these types of products.

Builders know this system gets covered up. Some care about it, and some don't. I think the best thing for me to do would be to a ranking on all of the Weather Resistive Barrier Systems available, and maybe rank the installation companies that do them, from best to last, and you can use that as a gauge to not only rate a builder on quality, but also you can insist from your builder what system you want them to use. It is the most important component of your wall system, and too many builders treat it as an afterthought, and then wonder why their walls leak and they end up in massive construction defect lawsuits later. It would be quite comical if it weren't so serious an issue.

THWT

Old 07-15-2018, 06:14 PM

22 posts, read 49,843 times
I'm afraid to ask but how about some of the lower cost builders, like D.R. Horton?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or