U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 05:41 PM

14 posts, read 8,462 times

Advertisements

Do you have any recommendations for an inspector to monitor a build? I am about to start a build with Toll Brothers (I have seen some of the horror stories) and think I might want to hire an inspector to check up on the build at each stage of the process. Seems like money well spent if I find the right person. The build is in Nocatee. Any recommendations? Thanks!!

Old 09-15-2018, 06:09 AM

3,832 posts, read 2,057,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshtyler15 View Post
Do you have any recommendations for an inspector to monitor a build? I am about to start a build with Toll Brothers (I have seen some of the horror stories) and think I might want to hire an inspector to check up on the build at each stage of the process. Seems like money well spent if I find the right person. The build is in Nocatee. Any recommendations? Thanks!!
I think SS does that, if he doesn't I am sure he knows someone. PM him.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:18 AM

30 posts, read 31,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I think SS does that, if he doesn't I am sure he knows someone. PM him.
Hey, my partners and I take weekly photos of builds and help through the process. In Nocatee, Joe Farrell at Pillar to Post does a ton of inspections. When inspecting a new build he has another guy he sends in during construction and at he'll do a pre-close or 11 month depending on what you want. Are you building in Coastal or The Settlement?

Message me and I'll send you Joe's text/cell number.

Ooops, that was supposed to be for joshtyler.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensny67 View Post
Back Again - Anyone have any information on this builder. Not on a recommended list posted here.

What gives.....building in St Johns / St Augustine.. not a National Builder
Mastercraft is great. Are you looking in Shearwater or Trailmark? Working with Jenn?

Old 09-25-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
Well...DR Horton.

First off, you can watch this:

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/artic...-out/352987089

And 2nd, let me explain this:

Besides the defects that are alleged in the above video, I can tell you this. DR Horton uses the Green Guard products, and I'm not 100% certain, but I believe it's the "Value Wrap" or VR product that they use. Green Guard Value Wrap and the Green Guard regular are both woven, perforated housewraps. In laymen terms, they are entry level products designed to meet minimum building code requirements and not much else.

Now, even though I don't endorse Tyvek here in our hot humid climate, and would prefer the lower perm product of Dow Weathermate Plus (both are made by the same company, now called "DowDupont"), this video from Tyvek shows exactly what happens with a woven, perforated wrap such as Green Guard:

Tyvek ® versus Perforated Wrap | DuPont

If you're builder uses Green Guard, you should steer clear. These are ineffective products in this market. If you lived in Arizona or somewhere very dry, woven products would be fine. But not Florida, not ever.

SS
What is your opinion on Zip System?

Old 09-25-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
I'm not sure where you are referring too?

That being said, Pulte has been through a LOT of changes over the past 10 years, and their quality has been on a virtual roller coaster throughout it all.

As of today however, they are probably THE highest quality production builder in the State of Florida. Their PCS (Pulte Construction Standards) are the highest of any builder I know of, and while that tends to make things a bit complicated for their subcontractors, it's working.

Pulte uses a third party company called E3 that conducts Building Envelope inspections on every single home and townhome it builds. These inspections are nearly impossible to pass on the first go around, and they are detailed to the point of overkill. The North Florida (Jacksonville) division is the only division in the State that regularly passes inspections usually on the 1st inspection. It has been documented by E3 that the Weatherization Contractors that Pulte uses in NE Florida are hands down the best in the entire State. Other markets are not doing nearly as well, including Orlando and Tampa, which rarely ever pass inspection even after the 2nd and 3rd attempts. It's my understanding through mutual business partners that the labor markets in Orlando and Tampa are even worse than average, and therefore getting qualified people in those areas is a major challenge.

Nevertheless, even against those odds, the buildings simply don't progress until the E3 inspections have finally passed, and the fines for failing these inspections is passed on to the subcontractors.

What's even more encouraging, is that that Pulte has reinstated its own separate division here in North Florida, whereas for years, this market was serviced by the Orlando/Tampa division who were not keen on the local market conditions and nuances.

They hold regular, very transparent meetings with their "Trade Partners" (subcontractors) and the new Division President for North Florida is actually the "old" division President from years ago, who is extremely focused on having good relationships with their subcontractors and the homebuyers as well.

So while I can understand your "surprise" to see Pulte on the list, I can assure you it is deservedly so, and you have to remember that the builders can change dramatically year to year, whether for the good or the bad. In the case of Pulte, it's been improving for several years now while other builders have declined.

SS
I ahve to say right now, Pulte probably has the tightest build times. (In a good way) They schedule it and they get it done on time. They've been doing 5.5 month builds in Del Webb while pretty much everyone else is running 7-10 months.

Old 09-27-2018, 07:36 AM

1 posts, read 899 times
Could you address the quality of the building by David Weekley in the Shearwater neighborhood? Specifically, The Springs section and their “rear loading” product with garages in the rear .

Old 10-04-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easterlingc View Post
Could you address the quality of the building by David Weekley in the Shearwater neighborhood? Specifically, The Springs section and their “rear loading” product with garages in the rear .
Hey Easterling, I have one client who closed in there back in January. The only concern they had was that their driveway was too short/steep. His car would scrape driving in and out of the garage. DW fixed that up for him a few weeks after closing. I think their new alley product will have wider alleys in back and longer driveways. DW uses radiant barrier and is regarded as one of the most energy efficient builders building in St. Johns County. They're building some multi-family product with a similar look and style on the right when you first come in, just past the current alley 40' product. Do you have any specific questions?

-Austin

Old 10-11-2018, 08:44 AM

8,302 posts, read 19,019,442 times
thread closed for mod review

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or