Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 05:28 PM

6,420 posts, read 4,917,410 times

Advertisements

I am 66 and my wife is 55 and we are thinking of retiring to the Jacksonville area. I retired last July and we are getting things wrapped up here in Buffalo. We are tired of the cold winters and want to move south. We are looking for the following:

1. An active community with amenities
2. A community center with exercise equipment and classes, plus social events
3. Tennis courts even though we are only occasional players
4. A safe area with a gated community
5. Low HOA and little if any CCD fees
6. Our children are grown and we have no grandchildren yet, so a decent school system
7. Access to a marina and the beach

Budget 350 - 400K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 06:22 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,340,455 times
I'd suggest Queens Harbor Yacht and Country Club located at 1129 Queens Harbor Blvd
Jacksonville, FL 32225 on Atlantic Blvd about 1/2 mile west of the Intracoastal Waterway.

Queen's Harbour Yacht & Country Club, Jacksonville Florida

1. It is an active community with amenities.
2. It has a community center with exercise equipment and classes, plus social events.
3. It also has plenty of tennis courts.
4. It is a safe area with a gated community
5. I have no idea what the HOA fees are but I don't believe there are any CDD fees.
6. Not positive but I believe the school district the serves Queens Harbor is above decent.
7. It has it's own Marina with a canal with a gated lock that leads to the Intracoastal Waterway,
and it is located less than 3 miles to Atlantic and Neptune beach and only about 5 miles to Jacksonville Beach.

And its mostly within your price range.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:20 PM

593 posts, read 668,256 times
I am nowhere near retirement but i moved to Jax from Buffalo and i love it here. Our winters can get chilly on occasion (50's during day 30-35 at night) but for the most part its about 65-75 day and 45-50 at night. However after going through summer here in Florida it is great, perfect for outdoor things like golf and hiking. Personally i may more active during the winter than any other time down here. As a result of our fluctuating temps i think of Jax as perfect place to live year round. However if your someone who wants to go lay on the beach in January, Jax is most certainly not for you.

Old 08-27-2015, 05:52 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,247,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I am 66 and my wife is 55 and we are thinking of retiring to the Jacksonville area. I retired last July and we are getting things wrapped up here in Buffalo. We are tired of the cold winters and want to move south. We are looking for the following:

1. An active community with amenities
2. A community center with exercise equipment and classes, plus social events
3. Tennis courts even though we are only occasional players
4. A safe area with a gated community
5. Low HOA and little if any CCD fees
6. Our children are grown and we have no grandchildren yet, so a decent school system
7. Access to a marina and the beach

Budget 350 - 400K

Pulte/Del Webb has an over 55 community in Nocatee. Nice houses with all the above except for the marina and beach.....you're not going to find an "active community" with access to the beach, nor in that price range.

SS

Old 08-28-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
Pulte/Del Webb has an over 55 community in Nocatee. Nice houses with all the above except for the marina and beach.....you're not going to find an "active community" with access to the beach, nor in that price range.

SS
I mean a 10 minute or so drive to a beach where we can park and enjoy the beach. The community does not have to be on a beach and if it is the prices are usually much higher.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:23 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,503,839 times
Sweetwater by Del Webb is in Jacksonville. Most of what is listed is in the low $300k range, but a couple are as much as $375k. All single-family detached. Monthly HOA dues are $180, in addition to a one-time capital contribution of around $950. There are also townhouses and condos there, going for less.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:12 AM

90 posts, read 127,483 times
We've just spent the week exploring the coast from New Smyrna to Ponte Vedre/ Nocatee. We covered a lot of ground and talked to people that we know all along the way. Originally from Western NY, currently in a perfect walkable little town in Central coast California. Retiring in 2016 and desire to be closer to family, but will not move back to the cold. Our itinerary was heavy St Aug, Palm Coast. Saw many homes we loved, with pools and affordable. Spent a nite in Deland, looked at homes there too. We spent an over nite with friends at Del Webb Pointe Vedre and toured Nocatee area and into Jax beach. We are shocked but we loved it there. People are active, the area is beautiful, close to every thing we want including Costco LOL. Jax airport, ocean... It has everything but our beloved Cali wine country. Bottom line is we crossed off an awful lot of places. We personally were very disappointed in St Aug. Had high hopes for WGV- but it didn't take long to see that we did not fit, and St Aug, nice place to visit, but not to live FOR US. It has been many months of research and a busy week of driving, all necessary to narrow down our choices. Now to crunch the numbers and reflect! Good luck in your search and know thyself!

Old 08-29-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native ny View Post
We've just spent the week exploring the coast from New Smyrna to Ponte Vedre/ Nocatee. We covered a lot of ground and talked to people that we know all along the way. Originally from Western NY, currently in a perfect walkable little town in Central coast California. Retiring in 2016 and desire to be closer to family, but will not move back to the cold. Our itinerary was heavy St Aug, Palm Coast. Saw many homes we loved, with pools and affordable. Spent a nite in Deland, looked at homes there too. We spent an over nite with friends at Del Webb Pointe Vedre and toured Nocatee area and into Jax beach. We are shocked but we loved it there. People are active, the area is beautiful, close to every thing we want including Costco LOL. Jax airport, ocean... It has everything but our beloved Cali wine country. Bottom line is we crossed off an awful lot of places. We personally were very disappointed in St Aug. Had high hopes for WGV- but it didn't take long to see that we did not fit, and St Aug, nice place to visit, but not to live FOR US. It has been many months of research and a busy week of driving, all necessary to narrow down our choices. Now to crunch the numbers and reflect! Good luck in your search and know thyself!
Which areas would you recommend? Nocatee and Jacksonville Beach?

Old 08-30-2015, 11:40 AM

90 posts, read 127,483 times
I highly recommend checking out Nocatee/ Pointe Vedre (the Del Webb 55+). Yes, it is a planned community but nice to have close by amenities, including health care, bike paths, areas you can walk, decent shopping. Alot of green space is preserved. In St Aug tracts it appeared they cleared the land, so no mature trees left in young tracts makes for a hot looking, suburbia. I liked the traffic control in Nocatee as well. However, I'm keeping in mind there is still a lot of building to be going on- so that may change. We liked the idea that we would have places to take visitors, including grand children -- nearby nice restaurants, easy drives. We are still discussing, but feel we can comfortably live our next 15 years there. We like taking continuing ed classes, or at least socializing a bit so we need that to be available. Another thing I noticed is that it looks rich, but everyone we met and talked to were nice and we did not feel as though it is an elite community. We feared that it would be Stepford, but it wasn't even close. We are pretty excited.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:41 AM

628 posts, read 286,482 times
No, for Stepford you need The Villages - but once they put the chip in your neck you don't mind

Seriously, sounds nice. My husband and I have grandchildren in Jacksonville and will be looking to move in that direction in the next few years. We'll have to check out Ponte Vedra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville