U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 03:30 PM

7 posts, read 3,938 times

Advertisements

Hi all I just posted in the Miami forum about where to move with an 800 budget for rent and someone suggested I look into Jacksonville area. So I am really free to chose but with a budget of $4000 I really need help figuring out where to move. So I am moving without a car so an area with good public transportation for the first 2 months. Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 05:09 PM

7,001 posts, read 7,642,286 times
What's your budget? $800 for a one-bedroom? Where would you be hoping to work? You'd probably be best off getting a small unit in Riverside. It's the only place where you could conceivably walk to everything. Only trouble is rentals aren't available for very long in that neighborhood, and your price point while doable, certainly limits you even further.

Old 03-21-2018, 05:56 PM

It doesn't have to be a one-bedroom I can do with an efficiency or a roommate situation until I get on my feet. I am looking to become a real estate agent because one of my jobs I had was marketing for a real estate investment company I know I can make money I was also a driver, so you guys think Riverside is a good area still. I have never been to Florida before so any pointers are very appreciated.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:34 PM

11,219 posts, read 14,883,184 times
Well with that budget, definitely forget about Miami. Even in Jacksonville, $800 is challenging for a 1 bed, but a studio is doable. Riverside is definitely a walkable area, but it's not cheap. It's a trendy, popular area and it could be challenging to find a 1 bed. When you say $4,000 available for a budget, I really hope you are talking about for moving purposes only, unless you have a job secured. $4,000 is not much these days and will be depleted rather quickly (probably around 2 months) if you have no income.

There aren't too many walkable neighborhoods in Jacksonville. All I can think of is Riverside, San Marco and Downtown. But Downtown is hard to recommend right now, though it is improving.

But how will you be approved for an apartment lease with no job or income? It sounds like you have no choice but to be a temporary roommate in someone else's house/apartment, then look for a job, then possibly move into your own place.

I would only advise you to make this move if you have a place to stay until you get a steady income. It would be heartbreaking to see someone move somewhere sight unseen, with no job lined up and only $4,000 saved up, and not gain traction.

Last edited by nep321; 03-21-2018 at 07:45 PM..

Old 03-21-2018, 07:42 PM

19,887 posts, read 19,689,077 times
You'll also need a lot in savings to start new as a realtor, especially in a new city. You'll also need spare cash for marketing materials, not just for yourself, but if you were lucky enough to get a listing, it costs money to properly market one.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well with that budget, definitely forget about Miami. Even in Jacksonville, $800 is challenging for a 1 bed, but a studio is doable. Riverside is definitely a walkable area, but it's not cheap. It's a trendy, popular area and it could be challenging to find a 1 bed. When you say $4,000 available for a budget, I really hope you are talking about for moving purposes only, unless you have a job secured. $4,000 is not much these days and will be depleted rather quickly (probably around 2 months) if you have no income.

There aren't too many walkable neighborhoods in Jacksonville. All I can think of is Riverside, San Marco and Downtown. But Downtown is hard to recommend right now, though it is improving.

But how will you be approved for an apartment lease with no job or income? It sounds like you have no choice but to be a temporary roommate in someone else's house/apartment, then look for a job, then possibly move into your own place.

I would only advise you to make this move if you have a place to stay until you get a steady income. It would be heartbreaking to see someone move somewhere sight unseen, with no job lined up and only $4,000 saved up, and not gain traction.
Thank you for the reply. Ok, to elaborate: I am moving with one suitcase and hopping on a flight. As to the saving I have more but 4000 is marked for 3 months of living expenses. The only issue is that I have no car and wanted to know about public transportation. I can also get a bike if I have to.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
You'll also need a lot in savings to start new as a realtor, especially in a new city. You'll also need spare cash for marketing materials, not just for yourself, but if you were lucky enough to get a listing, it costs money to properly market one.
Thank you for the reply. I agree with you about the expenses that come with becoming a real estate agent. In my last job I was responsible for finding buyers and renters which I did in multiple areas with great success, I do not need to find sellers as long as I come up with the buyers I can make money. That's why I want to become an agent.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:42 PM

384 posts, read 354,815 times
I don't want to rain on your parade but who hires a real estate agent that does not have a car? Don't you also have to be licensed in FLA? There are a lot of jobs here if you are just looking for quick work, however, florida in general is not built for walking. It is a society built on cars and shopping malls. I live on amelia island which is completely walk or bike-able. I see a lot of help wanted signs but not for real estate agents. My guess, if you landed here, near town and could find a room ,you would get work in some area pretty quick. You do not need a car on the island. A bike, will do. You might ask the marina if they have any boats for sale. Often some abandon ones at the dock you might buy for pennies. Assuming you tell them you will now pay dock fees. Just move on board. You are right in town. Not going to cost more than $500 to be at the dock and you have showers, laundry, wifi and steps from everything.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:19 AM

5,197 posts, read 3,651,758 times
Yeah, this does not sound very well thought out. You need a car, insurance, car registration/FL license (not cheap here) a deposit, first/last month's rent, utilities (also possible deposit), WiFi/internet, plus all of the other things that go along with moving. And I'm sure getting a real estate license costs decent money too as well as passing the required exam(s). Jacksonville is the largest city in the US, you cannot bike around here.

And then even if you magically can get a real estate license quickly, it's not like you're getting immediate paychecks, it's a commission job and it sounds like you know no one here. So the first few years will be lean for you until a book of business and connections are made.

$4,000 is nothing. Put another zero in that number and that's something you'd need to even consider a move like this with that type of career in mind. Miami is probably the worst place to move with nothing saved as the cost-of-living there is outrageous.

Sorry to sound like a Debbie Downer but this doesn't sound like a very good plan.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:45 AM

7,001 posts, read 7,642,286 times
A few things to tackle here but it's mostly going along with what everyone else has said.

There are certainly some rentals for $800 in Riverside. We have a one-bedroom that is renting for $825 and it's actually a pretty decent unit in a very good area. If you look more in the fringes and/or worse properties you will find some renting in the 600s. However, like I said, they aren't vacant for long. I craigslist post usually gets a vacancy filled within a couple days.

Being a realtor!! Ooo boy. My wife did that for several years, decently successfully, but she had plenty of buyers lined up and all the resources necessary to be successful. (car, lots of savings, etc) She's changed careers now since she didn't really enjoy it all that much, but I still run our real estate investing company and count a number of local realtors as friends and partners. I cannot imagine any realtor not having a vehicle. Your best bet is to get a non-agent job with an investment company that does wholesaling (we do not) and kinda hustle from the ground up. Not sure how likely you can land a job prior to moving.

For your desires, Miami is marginally better. More people, more opportunities, slightly easier to go without a car. However it is way more expensive so unless you have a connection into a cramped roommate situation I'm not sure how you'll make it work. Also note, Realtors in Miami do much better if they speak Spanish. It's not just the clientele that would prefer a Spanish-speaking agent (probably a third of them do), but then also the fact that many of the agents you would deal with would also speak Spanish. This environment is probably lessened to a degree the farther north in the metro you go (Broward County less, and Palm Beach County even less so)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or