Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 03:56 PM

7 posts, read 8,581 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate to St. Johns County this summer from Northeast PA. We are evaluating neighborhoods close to 95 or Rt. 1, everything from Durbin Crossing, St. John's Golf and Country Club, Cimmarone, South Hampton, Creekside, Nocatee, Kensington, and Palcencia. We are looking for a 4-5 BR, pool home, with an office and bonus space in a mid-size sub-division. Low or no CDD fees is preferable. We would rather use the annual savings to travel throughout the southeast. When we vacation we prefer to chart our own course versus go the cruise-ship route, and some of the larger sub-divisions feel like they could be cruise-ship like.

That said, we were wondering about perspectives on the impact Durbin Park will have on the surrounding communities, from congestion to property values, etc. Would you avoid any specific sub-divisions based on where Durbin Park is being built? General thoughts on whether we're considering the right areas? Any other sub-divisions we should consider?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 03:15 PM

23 posts, read 31,539 times
We are renting near this area now. I think the shops will definitely help with convenience because everything other than publix is a drive. This might bode well for property value but it won't help with congestion.

Race track is single lane on the north side of the park and it sucks at commute time. But there is still lots of construction going on, including the critical 9B extension, which makes it hard to fully understand how traffic will eventually flow here. There seems to be a train running at around 7:30am near US1 that also contributes to congestion. US1 has nocatee traffic, etc. It is all manageable if you are willing to adjust and prepare yourself.

I suggest you rent first and see for yourself. We should see lots of change to this area by years end.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:58 AM

203 posts, read 310,669 times
Durbin Park will only help increase the value of homes as most people want to live in a short distant from shopping and conveniences. We started looking down there at homes/communities last summer and have already noticed an increase in home prices.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:39 AM

9,392 posts, read 8,360,377 times
Significant increase in traffic and probably a moderate increase in property values. The announced anchor stores thus far are hardly going to get people running here to live in the area (Home Depot, Bass Pro Shops and yep.....WalMart). But those of us who are nearby are trying to remain positive that more/better stores will be announced soon. There will also be several chains - Starbucks, Firehouse Subs, T-Mobile, blah blah blah......nothing comes close to what the St Johns Town Center has. But not every store has been announced yet.

They are widening Race Track from 2 to 4 lanes in each direction and are in the final phase of the 9B road expansion. So getting in and out of the area should be a breeze even with the increased traffic.

Nearly all of the subdivisions nearby are similar. However, some (Batram) are in Duval while most others to the west are in St Johns Co so ensure you know which county you'll be in.

Old 03-28-2018, 02:36 PM

6,415 posts, read 4,911,200 times
A Walmart, Home Depot, Petco and a few restaurants are not a huge deal. Its not like its St Johns Town Center 2. Phase 2 will allegedly have a Bass Pro Outlet, since there are already locations in Daytona Beach and Gainsville, the one here is a pretty safe bet. Phase 2 I think will have a movie theater and more restaurants which will serve the area nearby. There will also be housing office space etc.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:19 AM

Correct. I have heard a movie theater is in the works but nothing has been announced yet. I have also heard rumors that the Bass Pro Shops may have backed out of the development......again, nothing formal has been announced yet. But WalMart is definitely in. In fact, they've already erected the exterior walls for it, you can see it from Race Track. There is also a park planned in area, plus housing....but those come in later phases.

I'm ready for 9B to open up. I saw this morning they have just about everything finished but St Johns Pkwy still needs some work on the medians and the stoplights need to go up as well. But most of the signs and the pavement have been laid so we're almost there. Hopefully with this added to the expansion of 295 will make going to/from the St Johns Towncenter a little more bearable of a drive.

Old 03-29-2018, 01:05 PM

6,415 posts, read 4,911,200 times
Maybe Bass Pro is having 2nd thoughts. Its been 5 years since the announcement and that phase won't open for a few years yet. St Johns Town Center and surrounding area is a better bet IMHO. The Durbin Park will draw mostly from the surrounding area since it only has a Walmart and Home Depot. There are already 10 Walmart Super Centers and 7 Home Depots and 7 Lowes. I think Bass Pro is looking to draw people from the entire Jax area.

Old 03-31-2018, 01:05 AM

78 posts, read 89,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Maybe Bass Pro is having 2nd thoughts. Its been 5 years since the announcement and that phase won't open for a few years yet. St Johns Town Center and surrounding area is a better bet IMHO. The Durbin Park will draw mostly from the surrounding area since it only has a Walmart and Home Depot. There are already 10 Walmart Super Centers and 7 Home Depots and 7 Lowes. I think Bass Pro is looking to draw people from the entire Jax area.
Bass Pro Shop has simply been waiting for 9B. That’s why it’s taken so long.

And the SJTC started out the same way, w Big Box retailers before the “mall”.

And even if they do draw only from the surrounding area, it’s a very affluent and expanding population.

Old 04-02-2018, 11:20 AM

If it's such an affluent area, why would the anchor stores be Bass Pro Shops, Home Depot and a freaking WalMart? I can't for the life of me understand the reasoning behind those stores coming here.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:42 AM

370 posts, read 325,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
If it's such an affluent area, why would the anchor stores be Bass Pro Shops, Home Depot and a freaking WalMart? I can't for the life of me understand the reasoning behind those stores coming here.
Like it or not, HD & WM appeal to ALL demographics. People love home improvement and saving money.

I've noticed an uptick in the amount of local tv ad buys from BPS, which would indicate they are "readying the market" for their arrival.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville