U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2018, 07:42 AM

266 posts, read 953,935 times

Advertisements

As we begin our house hunting, I was reading reviews on a neighborhood on our list. One of the reviews (a year ago) stated the neighborhood had tons of rattlesnakes and moccasins and the neighbors were beside themselves on what to do. Warning others before buying there.

Is this a common problem? Is it mostly because of all the construction invading their habitat? I figured we may see a snake here or there but this sounds like an entirely different situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 10:05 AM

16,453 posts, read 13,592,580 times
The reviews that you read are super-exaggerated...anything about snakes and the ridiculousness starts up. You will be fine and ignore the tales.
You were absolutely correct in the first place.

Last edited by rainroosty; 03-27-2018 at 11:31 AM..

Old 03-27-2018, 04:16 PM

5,851 posts, read 4,059,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLmomof2 View Post
As we begin our house hunting, I was reading reviews on a neighborhood on our list. One of the reviews (a year ago) stated the neighborhood had tons of rattlesnakes and moccasins and the neighbors were beside themselves on what to do. Warning others before buying there.

Is this a common problem? Is it mostly because of all the construction invading their habitat? I figured we may see a snake here or there but this sounds like an entirely different situation.
You more likely to get bit by “Mans best friend”

Old 03-28-2018, 06:25 AM

4,940 posts, read 3,493,086 times
This is my fourth year in NE Fl and I've never once seen a snake on my property and we back to water. The tales of snakes and bugs taking over are greatly exaggerated. Keep your yard trimmed and clean and they won't call your property home.

Old 03-29-2018, 05:53 AM

155 posts, read 291,213 times
I had lived in Florida for years in the 70s SE Florida and Tampa area and never saw a snake in a residential area. Then we moved to Palm Coast 10 years ago. At first we lived east on a salt water canal. Not a lot of snakes, just a few rat snakes and pygmy Rattlers. The canals had bull sharks and alligators. Yes, they are in brackish and salt water too, even sometimes in the surf. Then we bought a house 3 miles inland on the closed Matanzas Woods Golf Course. We were inundated with water mocassins and the odd rattlesnake. The mocassins were so bad I had to trim all bushes so they only had tops.bi bought a high power pellet rifle and was shooting them off the front entry way. They will not leave, they coil up, hiss and bare fangs. We finally sold that house. Anywhere in Florida within 100 yards of standing water could or does have moccasins. The dunes have rattlesnakes throughout the state. Palm Coast has ditch drainage, no storm sewers. Avoid homes with ditches or standing water. My neighbor used to kill the moccasins with a 9mm and rat shot. All summer we could here gun shots from neighbors shooting snakes.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:14 AM

4,940 posts, read 3,493,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by season10 View Post
I had lived in Florida for years in the 70s SE Florida and Tampa area and never saw a snake in a residential area. Then we moved to Palm Coast 10 years ago. At first we lived east on a salt water canal. Not a lot of snakes, just a few rat snakes and pygmy Rattlers. The canals had bull sharks and alligators. Yes, they are in brackish and salt water too, even sometimes in the surf. Then we bought a house 3 miles inland on the closed Matanzas Woods Golf Course. We were inundated with water mocassins and the odd rattlesnake. The mocassins were so bad I had to trim all bushes so they only had tops.bi bought a high power pellet rifle and was shooting them off the front entry way. They will not leave, they coil up, hiss and bare fangs. We finally sold that house. Anywhere in Florida within 100 yards of standing water could or does have moccasins. The dunes have rattlesnakes throughout the state. Palm Coast has ditch drainage, no storm sewers. Avoid homes with ditches or standing water. My neighbor used to kill the moccasins with a 9mm and rat shot. All summer we could here gun shots from neighbors shooting snakes.
This type of uncommon tale of snakes is exactly why people are so afraid of snakes. I'm not doubting your property had problems; however, to have so many is extraordinarily rare and would not happen to the average homeowner in the average subdivision.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:27 AM

155 posts, read 291,213 times
I agree. We had a mix of palmetto scrub, an abandoned golf course, open ditch drainage and wetlands surrounding us. As I said, lived in Florida for years before, no issues in the past in residential areas. There are signs at Disney World about water mocassins near the lakes and ponds. The dunes have rattlesnakes. It's as much a part of Florida as Gators, sharks and bobcats. We're moving into areas where these animals already live. The biggest mocassins I ever saw was on the Cypress Knoll GC in Palm Coast. It was as big around as a fire hose. The biggest Diamond Back Rattler was in the north bound lane of US 1 just before Matanzas Woods Parkway. I hit it with my car. It was massive. Do some searches about rattlesnakes and water mocassins in the St Augustine and Palm Coast areas. Its just something folks live with in that area. Go kick around the palmetto scrub and dunes. They're in there.

Old 03-29-2018, 08:28 AM

16,453 posts, read 13,592,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by season10 View Post
Baloney/Bologna.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville