Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 12:34 PM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
"A lot of areas" in the US don't have humidity? Basically the entire south, all of the midwest and even up and down the east coast have humid summers. California and the mountainous states typically do not. But good luck moving to any of those areas where the COL is substantially higher.

See, your problem is you live through City-Data. I've seen it here before. You make claims that "Many people here on City Data claim this and that" but you never actually provide any real basis behind it other than that. There is a whole world out there with real, actual living/breathing people. I suggest getting outside and interacting a bit more with those people rather than basing yoru perceived factual statements on what "JoeinNY" wrote on the Weather page.

BTW - not moved YET?????? This is officially the longest move I've ever heard of. Going on 7 years now.
Actually started talking about moving just a few years ago. Anyway, moving takes money and we aren't young! We can't just "jump up and leave" like the young folks can. But, like my wife tells me, "without a doubt, we are moving".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 12:52 PM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Oh okay, you've only been moving for 3 years now. Got it.

To summarize:

1) Florida is hot and humid
2) We had a hurricane last year which means Jax is a hurricane hot spot, regardless of the long-term data that say otherwise
3) Florida gets rain and lightning

Beware all.....beware.

Old 03-29-2018, 01:03 PM

I will say AGAIN, there are those that love it here and will never leave. That’s fine. Then, there are those that don’t and will, sooner or later, leave.

Both decisions are fine.

Old 03-30-2018, 06:33 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
So where are all these people claiming they hate Jacksonville and are leaving? I see very little of that here. In fact, you're the only person who comes on and regularly poo poos the area.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
So where are all these people claiming they hate Jacksonville and are leaving? I see very little of that here. In fact, you're the only person who comes on and regularly poo poos the area.
Just because you love the area, does that mean everyone has to?

Not everyone that lives in Jacksonville is on City-Data Forum. But, I did do a Thread, in the Florida forum, not Jacksonville, titled........Where Do People Move To That Leave Florida? I got quite the response. Seemed like those that moved, went to Georgia or some other southern state or up along the East Coast. One replier told me that a lot of former Florida people live in the town he does in Tennessee. He said, and I quote: "Former Florida people who live here don't have anything good to say about living in Florida".

So, there's your answer. As I've said before, there are those that love Jacksonville and those that don't. And, not everyone in this city is on this forum.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:22 AM

989 posts, read 768,841 times
If you can afford to live close enough to the beach (Walking/Biking distance) all to the the dislikes become moot. Nice breezes make the summer a lot more tolerable.

End of Day - Snow or no Snow? No contest.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:33 AM

306 posts, read 327,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shokwaverider View Post
If you can afford to live close enough to the beach (Walking/Biking distance) all to the the dislikes become moot. Nice breezes make the summer a lot more tolerable.

I was just about to say this, my aunt and uncle live a few blocks from the beach and when I visit them in the middle of summer, it seems much more pleasant than the heat and bad air quality alerts Atlanta gets almost all summer, and there is no breeze here either. It's definitely hot in Jax, just like it is here in Atlanta in the summers, but having the sea breezes seem to make it much more tolerable than being landlocked. Just my opinion though.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:

Well, like already stated, "snow" is just part of living in CO, WY and other "Western" style states. Those that live there simply put up with it, just like many put up with the high humidity, tropical storms and possible hurricanes of tropical Florida.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:48 AM

989 posts, read 768,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsZ71 View Post
I was just about to say this, my aunt and uncle live a few blocks from the beach and when I visit them in the middle of summer, it seems much more pleasant than the heat and bad air quality alerts Atlanta gets almost all summer, and there is no breeze here either. It's definitely hot in Jax, just like it is here in Atlanta in the summers, but having the sea breezes seem to make it much more tolerable than being landlocked. Just my opinion though.
Exactly, living in inland Florida is BRUTAL. That is why I have never understood why people like "The Villages" it is like a Sauna. Same for Orlando, WGV and others. Probably because the homes are cheaper.

There are trade offs, we prefer East of the intra-coastal. But you need to get a well built concrete home with good Elevation and even more important good drainage (Not all places have storm drains). Having 140 mph roof is common and a must. Storm Glass & CPVC Piping are also a must.

Living too close to the beach (1 mile) and you get the foot/bar/eatery/Beach goer traffic AND Insurance rates are high, especially if your house is pre-2002 and stick built. Living too far from it (>3 - 4 miles), and you get the excess heat and humidity. We rented for 3 years before buying and found that 2 miles on one of the barrier islands on higher ground is the place to be. 2 miles is very walkable but far enough that you do not get the traffic and beach crowds. We get ocean breezes all year. Can get hairy in storm season but hey, that is what insurance is for.

You get what you pay for. Modern Stick homes are at least 30% cheaper than concrete. We only have experience with SF homes vs Condos, they are another story. We Love St. Auggie.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Exactly, living in inland Florida is BRUTAL. That is why I have never understood why people like "The Villages" it is like a Sauna. Same for Orlando, WGV and others. Probably because the homes are cheaper.

There are trade offs, we prefer East of the intra-coastal. But you need to get a well built concrete home with good Elevation and even more important good drainage (Not all places have storm drains). Having 140 mph roof is common and a must. Storm Glass & CPVC Piping are also a must.

Living too close to the beach (1 mile) and you get the foot/bar/eatery/Beach goer traffic AND Insurance rates are high, especially if your house is pre-2002 and stick built. Living too far from it (>3 - 4 miles), and you get the excess heat and humidity. We rented for 3 years before buying and found that 2 miles on one of the barrier islands on higher ground is the place to be. 2 miles is very walkable but far enough that you do not get the traffic and beach crowds. We get ocean breezes all year. Can get hairy in storm season but hey, that is what insurance is for.

You get what you pay for. Modern Stick homes are at least 30% cheaper than concrete. We only have experience with SF homes vs Condos, they are another story. We Love St. Auggie.
Thing is, not everyone who lives in Florida can afford living by, or close, to the beach. There are probably folks that live inland that have never gone to the beach. Sort of like there are folks that live in Anaheim, California that have never been to Disneyland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville