U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 08:30 AM

5,197 posts, read 3,651,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Just because you love the area, does that mean everyone has to?

Not everyone that lives in Jacksonville is on City-Data Forum. But, I did do a Thread, in the Florida forum, not Jacksonville, titled........Where Do People Move To That Leave Florida? I got quite the response. Seemed like those that moved, went to Georgia or some other southern state or up along the East Coast. One replier told me that a lot of former Florida people live in the town he does in Tennessee. He said, and I quote: "Former Florida people who live here don't have anything good to say about living in Florida".

So, there's your answer. As I've said before, there are those that love Jacksonville and those that don't. And, not everyone in this city is on this forum.
I have never said I "LOVE" Jacksonville, but I cannot understand how or why someone who decides to uproot themselves and live here would be so negative on the area after such a short while. And from all of the people I've met here (real people, not posters on City-Data), very few claim to hate the area. Most everyone I know who has moved here from up north, east or west says this is a big upgrade from their part of the world. Lower cost of living, better weather, low crime in our neighborhoods, great schools (SJC), beaches, etc.

A lot of your concerns - crime, humidity, lightning, etc.....just aren't something most reasonable people would concern themselves with. It's like the folks who come here asking about shark attacks or snake bites and that is their main hesitation to move to Florida. You have as much chance of being eaten by a shark or bit by a snake as you do being hit by lightning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 08:49 AM

7,472 posts, read 17,272,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I have never said I "LOVE" Jacksonville, but I cannot understand how or why someone who decides to uproot themselves and live here would be so negative on the area after such a short while. And from all of the people I've met here (real people, not posters on City-Data), very few claim to hate the area. Most everyone I know who has moved here from up north, east or west says this is a big upgrade from their part of the world. Lower cost of living, better weather, low crime in our neighborhoods, great schools (SJC), beaches, etc.

A lot of your concerns - crime, humidity, lightning, etc.....just aren't something most reasonable people would concern themselves with. It's like the folks who come here asking about shark attacks or snake bites and that is their main hesitation to move to Florida. You have as much chance of being eaten by a shark or bit by a snake as you do being hit by lightning.
Ok, so you don't actually "love" Jacksonville. But, we have talked to some people, at Publix and Walmart, that wish they could move. When asked "you don't like it here?", their answer was plain and simple, "nope".

We talked to one young girl that told us that she moved from Ocala to Jacksonville, because the lifestyle in Ocala was just too slow paced. Well, since we've moved here (Jan 2009), we sure have seen Jacksonville get faster paced. To fast for our liking, but then again, we are old folks.

I have an news app for the city in northern Colorado that we are thinking of moving to and they sure don't have the crime, traffic or population that is here. I've got another news app for Cheyenne, Wyoming and the same goes there.

IOW, we have found out, and it has taken some time, that we gave up to much of the lifestyle we liked (Western/cowboy/rodeo/Elk, by moving here.

And, concerning boating, which we have a nice 20' 1992 Cuddy Cabin, the "brackish" water of the St Johns River sure hasn't been good to our outdrive. We had to have half of the outdrive replaced due to all the corrosion. And, on Colorado and/or Wyoming lakes, a boater doesn't need SeaTow, which is darn near a requirement here. We have it and it saved us big bucks when we had our boat towed from the Fuller-Warren Bridge area to Goodby's Boat Ramp off of San Jose Blvd. And, the cost of storing a boat there is half the cost of here. We also found out, due to low temps in this northern part of the state, boating can't be done year-around, like we originally thought.........at least for us we can't.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:11 AM

712 posts, read 425,991 times
From about South PVB to about Ormond Beach has a slightly better weather window than JAX. I have noticed over the years that often I would check weather when I was flying in from business trips (about 3 or 4 per month on average for 10 years), it was often stormy in JAX, but clear in St Augustine.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Ok, so you don't actually "love" Jacksonville. But, we have talked to some people, at Publix and Walmart, that wish they could move. When asked "you don't like it here?", their answer was plain and simple, "nope".

We talked to one young girl that told us that she moved from Ocala to Jacksonville, because the lifestyle in Ocala was just too slow paced. Well, since we've moved here (Jan 2009), we sure have seen Jacksonville get faster paced. To fast for our liking, but then again, we are old folks.

I have an news app for the city in northern Colorado that we are thinking of moving to and they sure don't have the crime, traffic or population that is here. I've got another news app for Cheyenne, Wyoming and the same goes there.

IOW, we have found out, and it has taken some time, that we gave up to much of the lifestyle we liked (Western/cowboy/rodeo/Elk, by moving here.

And, concerning boating, which we have a nice 20' 1992 Cuddy Cabin, the "brackish" water of the St Johns River sure hasn't been good to our outdrive. We had to have half of the outdrive replaced due to all the corrosion. And, on Colorado and/or Wyoming lakes, a boater doesn't need SeaTow, which is darn near a requirement here. We have it and it saved us big bucks when we had our boat towed from the Fuller-Warren Bridge area to Goodby's Boat Ramp off of San Jose Blvd. And, the cost of storing a boat there is half the cost of here. We also found out, due to low temps in this northern part of the state, boating can't be done year-around, like we originally thought.........at least for us we can't.
THEN WHY DON'T YOU MOVE THERE?!?!?!

Geez, you're the worst broken record I've ever heard. You already lived in CO and moved away because you didn't like it. You said you lived elsewhere too. Time to look hard into the mirror to understand it's not the area you live in, it's YOU who needs to change.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:19 AM

712 posts, read 425,991 times
Quote:

Geez, you're the worst broken record I've ever heard. You already lived in CO and moved away because you didn't like it. You said you lived elsewhere too. Time to look hard into the mirror to understand it's not the area you live in, it's YOU who needs to change.
Maybe, He/She lives in an area that is deprived of ocean breezes, and that can be tedious in Florida if you are not used to it. Personally I do not mind the heat, we have a pool .

Old 03-30-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:

Guess you need to read more about us. Finances rule when moving. Finances won't be together enough for another year.

We LOVED Colorado! Have no idea where you got that we didn't. Wouldn't be looking to move back if we didn't like it. We made a mistake..........plain and simple. Ever make a mistake in life?

I fell in ice/snow there, that required a surgery. We made the determination to sell the house and leave Colorado in fear that either of us could fall in ice/snow and be seriously injured. Well, we never/ever gave it a thought that either of us could fall anywhere we moved to. I fell right here in our parking lot of this complex and that fall required surgery as well. That fall was in the middle of the summer, not in ice/snow.

We lived just north of Charlotte, NC, but, after my wife got laid-off of her job, we decided she didn't like NC and we moved and wound up down here.

We don't need to look in any mirror, we just need to get back to what we know and love...........and that darn sure isn't here. I don't see any Bull Elk or rodeo action here, but darn sure feel the humidity.

We made a mistake moving here. There is a new Thread on the "Florida" part of the forum that asks people where they moved to when they left Florida. Some very interesting "poo, poo" type replies on it concerning all parts of Florida. IOW, obviously, not everyone liked living here and left.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:40 PM

70 posts, read 50,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida2014 View Post
then why don't you move there?!?!?!

Geez, you're the worst broken record i've ever heard. You already lived in co and moved away because you didn't like it. You said you lived elsewhere too. Time to look hard into the mirror to understand it's not the area you live in, it's you who needs to change.
lol

Old 04-01-2018, 09:38 PM

1,109 posts, read 1,075,278 times
Quote:

Then cut your losses and GO! I will be taking your place next year the day after my son graduates from UNCC. I have been commuting frequently to Jax since 1989. I find it a fun city and I am 65. The COL here in NC has just gotten rediculous for retirees who aren't wealthy, and this past winter, which still had not ended last Monday (03/26) with all the grey days has done me in. I would have already moved if my son was not so young AND I hate cockroaches so much. Next May the son will be good to go...I will just have to deal with cockroaches again.
All the best to you in any of those cold snowy places! I have lifelong friends in Colorado and they have MMJ there, but I cannot do 8 months of cold and it snowed there TODAY.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:01 AM

We just went back to CO for a short vacation and BOY has it changed. Not only is the COL ridiculously high (we sold a townhome back in '09 for $165K, now selling for over $300K), the area is inundated by marijuana dispensaries. Literally one on every other corner in most parts of Denver and even in the ski towns. Which also brings a certain element there - namely, idiot stoners. Not something I care to surround myself or my family with. I'm a pretty progressive guy and have no problems with the legalities of it, but with CO one of only a few places with legal weed it has brought a huge influx of these people to the area. I imagine it's not something a retiree would be real thrilled with either unless they are a user.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
We just went back to CO for a short vacation and BOY has it changed. Not only is the COL ridiculously high (we sold a townhome back in '09 for $165K, now selling for over $300K), the area is inundated by marijuana dispensaries. Literally one on every other corner in most parts of Denver and even in the ski towns. Which also brings a certain element there - namely, idiot stoners. Not something I care to surround myself or my family with. I'm a pretty progressive guy and have no problems with the legalities of it, but with CO one of only a few places with legal weed it has brought a huge influx of these people to the area. I imagine it's not something a retiree would be real thrilled with either unless they are a user.
Well, we are not, NOTE the word “not”, moving to Denver or that area. Absolutely not!! We are looking at the much lower populated area of Loveland. MJ isn’t nearly as popular there, as in Denver and metro.

Immediate Jacksonville area has, as of 2017, 931,000 people and the entire Jacksonville area is close to 1.5 Million people. Loveland, Colorado has 80,000 people. MAJOR population difference! We’ll take 80,000 any time!!

Winter is just part of living there, as is high humidity, tropical storms with the possibility of a major hurricane. There are lots of people who live in snow area’s all over the U.S., some complain about the winters, some don’t.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville