U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 11:48 AM

48 posts, read 30,836 times

Advertisements

When exactly is snowbird season in Jacksonville area? I was assuming it was Jan to March-April? If I move to the are next year, I would be renting for at least 1 year or so. I dont want to move at the highest rental rates of the year.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 12:39 PM

281 posts, read 217,857 times
I think most snowbirds go further south florida where its warmer.

Old 03-28-2018, 01:47 PM

4,929 posts, read 3,490,388 times
No snow birds here because our winters are semi-cold. Most go much further south.

Old 03-29-2018, 05:36 AM

155 posts, read 291,213 times
Palm Coast is packed with snowbirds from late October until about now when they start north. Traffic jams on I95 north. Hey, Jax area does so have snowbirds! St Augustine has a lot of snowbirds. The entire area has them but also a lot of full-time residents. Summer weather in NE Florida just sucks. Heavy rain, high humidity, blast furnace hot, snakes, bugs...yeah, it sucks. Oh yeah, the accassional tropical storm and or hurricane those start soon. And then there are the wild fires that rage and screw up the air from February until the heavy rains. Oh yeah, heavy rain, a real palmetto pounder most afternoons. Winter means crowds of snowbirds and summer means hot and humid and storms.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:50 AM

7,469 posts, read 17,177,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by season10 View Post
Palm Coast is packed with snowbirds from late October until about now when they start north. Traffic jams on I95 north. Hey, Jax area does so have snowbirds! St Augustine has a lot of snowbirds. The entire area has them but also a lot of full-time residents. Summer weather in NE Florida just sucks. Heavy rain, high humidity, blast furnace hot, snakes, bugs...yeah, it sucks. Oh yeah, the accassional tropical storm and or hurricane those start soon. And then there are the wild fires that rage and screw up the air from February until the heavy rains. Oh yeah, heavy rain, a real palmetto pounder most afternoons. Winter means crowds of snowbirds and summer means hot and humid and storms.
All of this is true, but many-to-most will say "Heck, I don't even think about stuff like that, since I'm making $80k a year in salary."

As in the SJ Town Center area, Deerwood and Old St. Augustine Rd. around Baptist Health Hospital.

We understand your reply, but we are in the process of leaving Jacksonville and Florida.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by season10 View Post
Basically none of this is true.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Basically none of this is true.
Unfortunarely, it’s all true! Although, most folks who love Jacksonville and Florida, definitely won’t admit it. Heat, high humidity, storms, those big bugs (cousins of the cockroach), wildfires/smoke.....all here. But, like other areas of the U.S. that have weather related problems and other problems, most here simply tolerate it.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:47 AM

So wait.....Florida has...............HEAT? My goodness people, thank you so much for this insightful information. Without it I'm sure myself and others would have literally fried to death wearing heavy clothes and not running the a/c this summer!

"Storms"....lol. Show me a state in the US that doesn't have "storms". This thread is going downhill fast.

Old 03-29-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
So wait.....Florida has...............HEAT? My goodness people, thank you so much for this insightful information. Without it I'm sure myself and others would have literally fried to death wearing heavy clothes and not running the a/c this summer!

"Storms"....lol. Show me a state in the US that doesn't have "storms". This thread is going downhill fast.
It's NOT just the heat people complain about, it's those dreaded Tropical words "high humidity" that a lot of areas of America don't have. Heck, I've read many, and I do mean MANY replies in other Threads about how many had to move due to it. Of course, those "many" who have moved, were replaced by many who have moved here. "Drenched in sweat" and "sweating from the time I get up until I go to bed" is partly what I've read. And, the high humidity is just a fact about living in Florida. Sure can't get away from it when living here.

Storms.......Yes, other states get snow storms, blizzards, heavy rain, tornado's, but just like my BIL told me last night "I lived in south Florida for many years and it is the Lightning Capital of the United States." Which does seem somewhat odd to me, being that I seen plenty of lightning during central Colorado t-storms and during t-storms in southern Oklahoma. But.......
Thing is, we not only heard, we read that Jacksonville doesn't get hurricanes due to it's location. Well, Matthews hit and so did Irma. Irma caused quite a bit of damage to Jacksonville.

So, this is why "heat" and "storms" are talked about so much by folks that have moved out or plan on moving out. And, like I've stated many, many times........there are those here in Jacksonville that love it here, and that's fine. But, there are those that don't like it here, or anywhere in Florida, and that should be fine as well.

One thing for sure, Jacksonville businesses don't have to worry about losing the population/business here.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:29 PM

"A lot of areas" in the US don't have humidity? Basically the entire south, all of the midwest and even up and down the east coast have humid summers. California and the mountainous states typically do not. But good luck moving to any of those areas where the COL is substantially higher.

See, your problem is you live through City-Data. I've seen it here before. You make claims that "Many people here on City Data claim this and that" but you never actually provide any real basis behind it other than that. There is a whole world out there with real, actual living/breathing people. I suggest getting outside and interacting a bit more with those people rather than basing yoru perceived factual statements on what "JoeinNY" wrote on the Weather page.

BTW - not moved YET?????? This is officially the longest move I've ever heard of. Going on 7 years now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville