Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 05:44 PM

33 posts, read 148,411 times

Advertisements

Ashley Homes is a custom builder based of Jacksonville. They are building few houses in Oaklaef , Oakridge landing near Durbin crossing and 2 or 3 other places. We want to build a house with them. Anybody have any opinion on this local small builder. What are the things we need to check with local builder. Any suggestions or advises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 07:17 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,159,612 times
I offered to work out with them, but they said no! Any one else want to body build and been turned down?!

Old 02-24-2015, 09:12 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,497,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
I offered to work out with them, but they said no! Any one else want to body build and been turned down?!
OK, I lol-ed.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:38 AM

222 posts, read 425,485 times
Charles (Chuck) Hiers who is listed as a Managing Member of Ashley Homes was formerly with DS Ware/Monarch Homes. I built a home with DS Ware while he served as the superintendent and (I believe) had part ownership of the company. While I am very satisfied with our house, I found Chuck to be unresponsive to concerns, patronizing and of questionable integrity. Perhaps others have a better opinion of him.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:42 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,243,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbean1234 View Post
Charles (Chuck) Hiers who is listed as a Managing Member of Ashley Homes was formerly with DS Ware/Monarch Homes. I built a home with DS Ware while he served as the superintendent and (I believe) had part ownership of the company. While I am very satisfied with our house, I found Chuck to be unresponsive to concerns, patronizing and of questionable integrity. Perhaps others have a better opinion of him.
He was indeed with Monarch, then moved to Engle, and then to Transeastern Homes right before they went bankrupt.

Ashley Homes is named after his daughter. I knew him personally during a time period in life, and yes, patronizing is a good word to use. That being said, I cannot say anything bad about his homebuilding skills as he has been doing it all his life.

As for things to look for when building a new house, please see some of my other posts regarding Weatherization Systems and the like. They have a wealth of information that you should read before building.

SS

Old 02-24-2015, 12:49 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,243,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceguy View Post
Ashley Homes is a custom builder based of Jacksonville. They are building few houses in Oaklaef , Oakridge landing near Durbin crossing and 2 or 3 other places. We want to build a house with them. Anybody have any opinion on this local small builder. What are the things we need to check with local builder. Any suggestions or advises.
Here, this should help you with some initial things to look for. Do not be afraid to ask questions or make demands for what you want. You ARE the customer after all. Builders tend to have a "this is how I do it" mentality, but a true custom builder should be more than happy to explore your requests and make changes. That's the definition of "custom."

//www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...ity-early.html

SS

Old 02-25-2015, 06:10 AM

164 posts, read 227,667 times
Also, take the time to read the contract carefully and cross out what you don't agree to. I did this with our last home and the builders all had the "this is our standard contract, take it or leave it" mentality. So we walked from 2 different builders.

They want you to sign their contract because it is written to favor them. I found one that actually said the builder had the righ tto sell your home to someone else up to 30 days before closing. So someone could come in and like all the design choices you made and the location, offer an extra 10K to the builder, and they could sell it out from under you. Beware of these type of clauses.

It's the single largest investment of your life, so take the extra time, even hire a lawyer to review the contract.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:52 PM

33 posts, read 148,411 times
Default thanks all

thanks all for for good feed back.

Old 08-14-2015, 03:55 AM

1 posts, read 3,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbean1234 View Post
Ashley homes: the work that this builder, Ashley Homes produces is very questionable if you decide to go with this builder look at the work and quality closely before making a decision. This comment is not meant to be personal, just focusing the QUALITY of the work that I have seen.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:23 AM

36 posts, read 41,546 times
Just do your research on any builder. There are distinct differences in the quality and further, in the neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville