Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2018, 05:20 PM

45 posts, read 85,218 times

Advertisements

We are transplants of 9 months from the NE and we have finally agreed to terms on a house in St Johns. We are looking at a mid-July closing but things are lined up and now we're just waiting. When we made the decision to move this way, we also decided that we would want a pool and that has not changed. The home we chose doesn't have one but there is plenty of space for a screened in pool.The back yard is flat with little/normal slope away from the house and there is room for machines to get through with no trees or fence.

We're not looking for anything too fancy, just a free form or rectangular 15x30ish pool, maybe, just maybe a spa, screened in and with pavers around. We understand that there is maintenance involved, cost, you're lucky if your home will appreciate by half of the cost of the pool install etc So please take my questions at face value:

1. What is the best time of the year around Jax to install a pool to maybe save some money. Common sense tells me that it'd be in the October-January range when things slow down and that would work very well for us considering our circumstances (we will have just moved and settled in). Could we see lower prices or is the demand pretty constant?

2. Can you recommend 2-3 reputable companies that are fairly priced and maybe you've worked with? I'm not looking for cheapest, I'd like quality work and we all want to make money and provide for our families; but some people just go too far with what they charge for things.

3. I know that prices vary based on type, accessories, design but what would be a fair price for an average set-up? I found a couple of online calculators but they were for pool companies in Tampa and Miami and I'm sure that those markets are different. I was unable to find anything around Jax so I have no concept of prices around here.

4. My little uneducated opinion is that fiberglass pools may be a better choice because they do not require the 5-8 year periodic resurfacing. Combine that with saltwater and you have the winning solution. But most homes we looked at during our search had concrete chlorine pools, some installed as recently as 2-3 years ago. So am I wrong about thinking of going fiberglass+saltwater? Is this combo much more expensive or uncommon around Jacksonville?

Thank you for all your help and I look forward to hearing back from you guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 07:23 PM

6,330 posts, read 4,833,769 times
There is no longer any "best time of the year" here. Every one is super busy and you are lucky if they call you back. You are talking a minimum of 50k for what you are describing without a spa. Enclosures have gotten pricier because of the new codes making them sturdier (and more expensive). Figure 35k for a pool, 15-20k for an enclosure another 1k for salt, 15k for a spa since it requires a heater, valves and 2 speed pump. I have never seen a fiberglass pool here.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:36 AM

45 posts, read 85,218 times
Thank you, I guess that there are no further opinions here, I was truly hoping for a bit more feedback because I'm not sure which way to go. If this is such a lucrative line of business I fail to understand why there is so little information and why the builders' sites are so poorly designed with insufficient info.

I guess I have the same issue with plumbers, electricians etc as well. But getting new service or installing a new water heater doesn't cost 60-100k+ so you would think that there would be more info beyond pictures taken from job sites.

As far as recommendations go, my agent suggested 3 names: Stanley, Surfside and John Clarkson (they apparently do a lot of of work for new construction and they are overpriced). But it's hard to make recommendations unless you have direct or at least indirect knowledge of a business.

Old 04-13-2018, 06:52 PM

6,330 posts, read 4,833,769 times
Surfside has an excellent reputation but they are pricey. John Clarkson builds more high end pools and are pricey as well. Never heard of Stanley and their Google reviews are not as good as the others. Its not like South Florida here where you can use your pool much of the year. If I was getting a new pool I would go with Surfside, when they were here for a pool screen and Spa quote, they were more down to earth and reasonable than the others.

Old 04-14-2018, 04:48 PM

2 posts, read 2,713 times
We used Crystal Pools in Orange Park. The pool lasted fine for 17 years then we had them back to remarcite it. We haven't had any problems. The pool initially had cool decking but later changed to pavers. My friend bought a smaller salt water pool and I think it had the fiberglass liner that you were talking about. She hasn't had any complaints with her pool (that's in Maryland). She voiced no regrets with her choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville