U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 07:51 AM

912 posts, read 488,016 times

Advertisements

I am just curious. We are planning a visit towards the end of summer or early Fall. I have always wondered if the surf is fairly consistent. I know SoFlo is pretty terrible until it gets good, then it's terrible again. Any other surfers, preferably LBers on here? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 06:53 AM

No surfers here? Well, that tells me a little something LOL...

Old 04-15-2018, 01:27 PM

3,848 posts, read 2,064,182 times
https://www.google.com/search?q=catc...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Old 04-17-2018, 11:16 AM

1,109 posts, read 1,075,278 times
Let's just say if you surf in Cali you will be epically disappointed in FL unless it is days prior to a coming hurricane, but then there are hellish riptides to deal with also.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:00 AM

5,197 posts, read 3,651,758 times
I'm not a surfer but go to the beach often. I don't think NE FL has very good waves for surfing. There are surfers around Jax Beach Pier and St. Aug Pier on a regular basis but they're lucky to catch a smallish wave for like 5 seconds at best. Even the boogie boarding is not great.

If you're a beginner surfer it's probably fine. But if you're a hardcore surfer used to So Cal waves you'll be extremely disappointed.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
Let's just say if you surf in Cali you will be epically disappointed in FL unless it is days prior to a coming hurricane, but then there are hellish riptides to deal with also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I'm not a surfer but go to the beach often. I don't think NE FL has very good waves for surfing. There are surfers around Jax Beach Pier and St. Aug Pier on a regular basis but they're lucky to catch a smallish wave for like 5 seconds at best. Even the boogie boarding is not great.

If you're a beginner surfer it's probably fine. But if you're a hardcore surfer used to So Cal waves you'll be extremely disappointed.
Thanks guys, that helps. I kind of thought so. I have surfed South FL when visiting friends and it was pretty disappointing. I thought the north might be a little better just due to being farther north. Yeah, CA seriously has a wave you can find somewhere just about every morning if you really go looking, but it is just about never flat, no wind, and no rips. Thanks again! I think I'll just forego the surfing part and drink lots of beer.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:32 AM

383 posts, read 287,565 times
North and Central FL have rideable waves more often than South FL. Central (New Smyrna to Melbourne) is a bit better than North due to shorter continental shelf and more direct exposure to waves coming from the north. The water quality is also cleaner and clearer in Central vs North.

In north florida, summer months have longer periods of flat to barely ridable waves and rely on tropical storms, hurricanes with occasional background swells, low pressures systems or other long fetch waves. There are summers where it's near flat for a couple weeks and summers where it's chest high and fun for 10 days+...so weird.

Pick your spots because one area can be crap and a short drive north or south can be fun. Google surf spots in north florida and expect crowds but generally mellow. Crowded spots will have plenty of beginners and better surfers.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromicide View Post
North and Central FL have rideable waves more often than South FL. Central (New Smyrna to Melbourne) is a bit better than North due to shorter continental shelf and more direct exposure to waves coming from the north. The water quality is also cleaner and clearer in Central vs North.

In north florida, summer months have longer periods of flat to barely ridable waves and rely on tropical storms, hurricanes with occasional background swells, low pressures systems or other long fetch waves. There are summers where it's near flat for a couple weeks and summers where it's chest high and fun for 10 days+...so weird.

Pick your spots because one area can be crap and a short drive north or south can be fun. Google surf spots in north florida and expect crowds but generally mellow. Crowded spots will have plenty of beginners and better surfers.
Thanks for the input. I did surf Ft. Pierce Inlet quite a bit when I would visit. It was great for logging on summer mornings. It would only be 1-2', but a whole lot of fun, lots of noseriding, clear water, 80*....no complaints. I was there in '04 and the crowd was minimal. I went back in '09 and the crowd was worse than any crowd I had ever seen. It was wild.

Old 04-19-2018, 04:46 PM

2,764 posts, read 1,387,354 times
I'll be honest, it's not that great. I've recently quit my job and have taken a new one, which is freelance work, but it's given me more down time when I'm at home. I wanted to surf a few days this week, but it's mostly just been longboardable stuff. Surfed on Monday and it was nice to get out for a few hours, but other than that, it's not satisfying if you're used to SoCal. If I didn't live about 30-40 minutes from the beach, I probably would have went the last couple days, but it wasn't really worth it.

I, too, lived in SoCal for 3 years before moving here. Came from Jersey originally. I drive to New Smyrna (very sharky) for surf sometimes. Sebastian Inlet is nice, but it's 3 hours away.

That said, surfing here is still much better than South Florida, like where my best friend lives in Delray Beach. The upside is that there's usually something to surf a couple days a week or more. The downside is that it's a small, longboard wave on a lot of days. We definitely have our really epic days, they're out there if you're here long enough and if you have flexible hours for work. If you're only visiting, it's hard to tell what you'll get when you're here? If you prefer a longboard, you can probably easily get a day or two of surfing in here. In SoCal, there was so much to surf, I basically didn't even have enough time to surf with work and other things! I surfed a lot, a few times a week, sometimes 5 days in a good week and I was much closer to the beach (only a few blocks), but I always found that there was so much surf and not enough time for me! Would love to live there if retired, but it was kind of expensive compared to here. That's why I made the move!

Old 04-20-2018, 12:04 AM

8 posts, read 3,849 times
The best surf area in Florid as far as I remember is/was Sebstian Inlet down by Cocoa Beach Florida. When I was in High School myself and a couple of my friends used to skip Fridays classes and drive down to Sebastian Inlet and spend the weekend camped on the beach and surf our *sses off and return late Sunday night. But then this was 45 years ago so things may have changed since then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville