Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 10:00 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,340,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindquist22 View Post

I would have loved to go to Julington Creek and that area but we didn't make it. Is there comparable shopping within 5 minutes as there is near Eagle Harbor?

Thanks so much!
From Julington Creek Plantation, you'd drive north into Mandarin. In Mandarin, you'd find everything you'd need, but it's mostly chains (which I suppose is the same at Eagle Harbor).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 08:34 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,917,314 times
Riveree is correct about Julington Creek and its proximity to Mandarin's shopping. As well, the JCP area is growing retail-wise.

Regarding kunacavegirl's comment about staying away from Orange Park because of its Jacksonville "influence", I'm not sure what she means. I happen to like Jacksonville, but if she's referring to Jax's shadier parts (which are no different than any other city's) and saying that Orange Park is "shady", that's not true. It's older, it has its problems, but I've never felt the need for a bullet-proof vest nor pepperspray in hand when going to the mall.

Regarding CDD fees, yes, they are something to consider, but I pay them and I do not find them cost-prohibitive at all. For me it's an expense I'm willing to pay for where I live. And I am not snooty nor do I live the country club life.

I can only speak for Eagle Harbor, and Fleming Island Plantation may be the same, but we do not have HOA fees. Instead, our maintenance and operation fees are included in our tax bill. For last year it was about $450. It can change on an annual basis, but not without a HOA vote. As for the CDD fee, it varies slightly per property depending on the age of the neighborhood and the curb-length of the property. The CDD fee is a debt-pay-down for the district and it cannot change willynilly. The CDD committee may vote, with resident input, to renegotiate the bonds. Most of the bonds are 30 year, and yes, they may extend them. However, our Eagle Harbor infrastructure is sound and well-maintained. We have residents and committees dedicated to ensuring quality of life as we choose it to be. No, this is not for everyone nor should it be. Choice is a wonderful thing.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:11 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,009,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
... No, this is not for everyone nor should it be. Choice is a wonderful thing.
Well said!

Old 04-06-2008, 09:44 PM

6 posts, read 29,073 times
Default question

Hello all! I was reading your comments about those specific communites, as I am also planning on moving to Florida,but I wanted to know how far from the airport these communities are, and if there were any other nice neighborhoods that weren't too far from the airport?

Old 04-06-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRNHILL View Post
Hello all! I was reading your comments about those specific communites, as I am also planning on moving to Florida,but I wanted to know how far from the airport these communities are, and if there were any other nice neighborhoods that weren't too far from the airport?
We have 4 airports, but the main airport is JIA - Jacksonville International Airport - and it is north of downtown/located on the Northside of the city.

If you lived in Orange Park/Fleming Island (Clay county), you could use I295 to get to the airport. If you lived on the Southside/Intracoastal West part of Jacksonville (Duval county) you could use 9A (which is the same loop - 9A/I295). The closer to the 9A/I295 loop, the shorter your commute to the airport. Another option is to live close to I95 which is a straight shot to the airport (some nice neighborhoods up and down I95 as well).

Time-wise, it really depends on exactly where you choose to live in Clay or Duval. You might be 20 minutes to the airport or 45 minutes - it all depends on how far south you choose to live.

You could also live on the Northside of Jacksonville, there is a lot of new construction there. It's still one of our least populated parts of Jacksonville, so shopping and such is limited, but some people like the prices of the homes enough that I guess it makes up for what might be lacking commercially .

Old 04-07-2008, 07:10 PM

Default thanks

Thanks riveree! Yeah, I did mean Jacksonville International. How would I research homes on the Northside of Jacksonville? Does that area/town have a specific name?

I was contemplating the JCP area, but it seems really far south in proximity to JIA..

Old 04-07-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRNHILL View Post
Thanks riveree! Yeah, I did mean Jacksonville International. How would I research homes on the Northside of Jacksonville? Does that area/town have a specific name?

I was contemplating the JCP area, but it seems really far south in proximity to JIA..
The Northside has zips 32226 & 32218, you can plug those into realtor.com and see what the homes/prices are like.

The Northern end of the Southside/Intracoastal West area makes a very easy commute to the airport, I highly recommend at least considering it. I've been living in 32246 and 9A is a straight shot up to airport (25 minutes door-to-door - a very easy ride), it's also less than 15 minutes to the beach, less than 10 minutes to the Saint Johns Town Center, and you can take Wonderwood Expressway to Fernandina to see your family (or backroad it for a more scenic drive).

So I'd add to your zip searches the IW area: 32246, 32225, 32224.

Here's a map to show you where the zips are:

Duval County Zip Code (Zipcode) Map

Old 04-07-2008, 10:36 PM

Thanks so much riveree! this really helped!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville