U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2018, 09:23 AM

28 posts, read 17,383 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move into one of these areas. I am from a large city and have recently been living in a smaller Midwestern town. I have found that cities in the Midwest (outside the big ones), tend to not be as open to new people. I have read several threads about St Louis and this is a big complaint, even though it is larger in terms of population. I guess it's because few people move in and out of it.

I'm hoping for an area with more transplants, like myself, so it's easier to make friends and assimilate into the area.

I'd appreciate any opinions on these two cities as places to live, especially on the friendliness of people and openness (not in a political way). Thank you for any insights you have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 10:12 AM

4,954 posts, read 3,504,360 times
It's difficult to make sweeping generalizations about an entire city of people such as you're looking for. Everywhere you go there will be very friendly people to very unfriendly people with a lot in-between. After a few large moves to different states I've found that the older you get, the more difficult it is to make good friends. I have several "friends" since moving here but none that I'd consider a lifelong good friend (i.e. someone I'd keep in contact with if I packed up and left)....I save that for people I grew up with.

When moving to a new city the onus is really on YOU to make friends, not the city to embrace you. Get involved in as much as you can, whether that's through a church, athletic team, school functions, political fundraisers, etc. That's really the easiest/fastest way to connect with new people and establish potential friendships.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:03 PM

14 posts, read 6,676 times
Are you talking about St Louis MO? Just making sure in case there’s a St Louis somewhere in FL!

Old 08-08-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
It's difficult to make sweeping generalizations about an entire city of people such as you're looking for. Everywhere you go there will be very friendly people to very unfriendly people with a lot in-between. After a few large moves to different states I've found that the older you get, the more difficult it is to make good friends. I have several "friends" since moving here but none that I'd consider a lifelong good friend (i.e. someone I'd keep in contact with if I packed up and left)....I save that for people I grew up with.
When moving to a new city the onus is really on YOU to make friends, not the city to embrace you. Get involved in as much as you can, whether that's through a church, athletic team, school functions, political fundraisers, etc. That's really the easiest/fastest way to connect with new people and establish potential friendships.

I agree that you can't there will be many different types of people. I disagree that you can't somewhat generalize.

I've moved a lot and I really do think the ease to integrate is different depending on where you move. I've been the same person in all places and I'm pretty friendly and do get involved. If you move to a city where most people are born and raised, you can make friends, but it will very likely be more difficult. The residents usually have families and life long friends and they are much less interested in taking the time to make new ones. If there is a hiccup in a new relationship, it's much easier to revert to old friends and, unfortunately, to gossip.

In one town I lived in, my hairdresser said to me that he was raised in another town. He also said that when he talked to people from that town and told them he was raised in another town BUT born in their town, they were okay with him. He said that they weren't friendly until he told them he was born there. He said this without any previous comments from me. I heard this mentality described several times from people who were lifelong residents. I only heard this type of rhetoric in this town and the general openess of the townspeople was reflective of that statement.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:34 AM

Default FL vs St Louis

[quote=Momma2PirateNPrincess;51761949]Are you talking about St Louis MO? Just making sure in case there’s a St Louis somewhere in FL![/QUOT

St. Louis, MO. We had opportunity to move to either.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:34 AM

4,954 posts, read 3,504,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethMac View Post
If you move to a city where most people are born and raised, you can make friends, but it will very likely be more difficult. The residents usually have families and life long friends and they are much less interested in taking the time to make new ones.
Now you're talking about small town vs. big city. You're not going to find this in the big cities like you have mentioned because there are tens if not hundreds of thousands of each type - natives vs. new residents.

Old 08-10-2019, 03:29 PM

1,435 posts, read 2,845,421 times
Default There is no difference!!

St. Louis might be a little safer that's the only difference. I used to help people acquire rental properties on the North Side of the River because we thought it would gentrify due to the proximity to Downtown but now we are looking to dump everything.
J'ville on the North Side has a big Violent crime problem. If it were spun off from the City of Jacksonville it would be one of the highest crime cities in the entire country. 90 murders in a City of 100,000 people would be the murder rate. There would be a national outcry and people would be fleeing for their lives. The National Guard would be called in to curb the violence. Most of this is due to a culture of Drama. I
If you could stop the Drama you could stop the Violence. I mean if someone steals from you then call the police DON'T KILL THEM! What is that about. If your girlfriend likes someone else LET HER GO> GOOD BYE and GOOD RIDDENS. If someone calls you an idiot GET AWAY FROM THEM. Have some self esteem and Don't be so offended by every little put down or betrayal. Big deal you'll live to see another day. You don't have to prove to the world that you are a tough guy with a gun and if anyone double crosses you you'll kill them. I mean put things into perspective man. Don't hang around with other people who are like that either. You are far better off if they do not know who you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or