U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2018, 10:27 AM

5 posts, read 3,470 times

Advertisements

We are a couple in our mid-50s. We are considering a move to northern Florida, either the west or east coast. My husband, formerly a Navy pilot (now an airline pilot), lived in JAX and in Pensacola during his training. We currently live in NC and have lived in Steamboat Springs, CO, NJ and NYC. By the time we move, we will be empty nesters with a daughter in boarding school in the NE. We'd like to be within 90 minutes of a major airport (Jax is ok) for my husband to commute to work and to be able to hop on a flight to Boston to visit our daughter. We would like to be near the beach. While we might fit the age profile to live in a 55+ community, that's not a must. With my husband gone 9-12 days a month and no longer having a child at home in school where I can meet other parents, I'd like to be in a friendly community where it would be easy to meet other (former) professionals, well educated, well traveled, engaged and engaging individuals. We are healthy and fit - we play tennis, occasionally golf, bike, kayak, etc. Our plan is to spend a couple of weeks every few months sailing in the British Virgin Islands so being able to close up our house and walk away is a must, suggesting that perhaps a gated community would be best. We would be interested in a 3 bedroom home, w/ or w/out a pool. While my husband is politically conservative, I am a moderate and have struggled a bit with the conservative politics and narrow mindedness I've found in NC. Please know that I'm not being judgmental to anyone else's political views but I'd like to find a community where people are a bit more moderate. Would love advice: Anastasia Island, PVB, Amelia Island, St. John's? What gated communities would you recommend and why? Maybe we should consider a condo?

Last edited by Thistle123; 04-30-2018 at 10:47 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 01:29 PM

4,921 posts, read 3,490,388 times
I'd say you'd be a good fit in a condo/townhome in Ponte Vedra Beach. It's active, mostly middle-to-upper class, less rednecks that you'll find in other areas (i.e. more educated and affluent) and there are ample folks who have moved there from the East Coast who are empty-nesters now. You'd probably need to post your budget in order for people to recommend specific neighborhoods. But just from what you described PVB comes to mind for me.

Old 05-01-2018, 05:24 AM

7,469 posts, read 17,175,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I'd say you'd be a good fit in a condo/townhome in Ponte Vedra Beach. It's active, mostly middle-to-upper class, less rednecks that you'll find in other areas (i.e. more educated and affluent) and there are ample folks who have moved there from the East Coast who are empty-nesters now. You'd probably need to post your budget in order for people to recommend specific neighborhoods. But just from what you described PVB comes to mind for me.
I can't wait to see how some of the Jax forum folks will reply to the statement I have in red above. Many on this forum, that love both Jax and Florida think I "bad mouth" the area way to much, but your statement above, well............

Old 05-01-2018, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I can't wait to see how some of the Jax forum folks will reply to the statement I have in red above. Many on this forum, that love both Jax and Florida think I "bad mouth" the area way to much, but your statement above, well............
I didn't bad mouth any area, I stated PVB has fewer rednecks than other parts of NE FL, which is what it sounds like OP is looking for. For certain people that might actually be a bad thing. I have spent a lot of time over in PVB and I see far fewer giant Ford F150 trucks with lifted suspensions and with Confederate flags hanging out the back than anyone else in our general area.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:47 AM

Quote:
I didn't bad mouth any area, I stated PVB has fewer rednecks than other parts of NE FL, which is what it sounds like OP is looking for. For certain people that might actually be a bad thing. I have spent a lot of time over in PVB and I see far fewer giant Ford F150 trucks with lifted suspensions and with Confederate flags hanging out the back than anyone else in our general area.
That’s fine. But, I’d almost guarantee that there could be some that will be offended by the statement.
Not saying you’re wrong at all, but there are those that will be offended. Not me. We have a few of those trucks in our complex. Actually, I look at our apartment complex Maintenance Supervisor as a full-blooded Redneck.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:22 AM

375 posts, read 273,162 times
Rednecks aren't educated or affluent is the way it reads. I'm sure you didn't mean it that way but put more realistically, there aren't many people from the south living in Ponte Vedra Beach. It's kinda like West Palm Beach North...lol

Last edited by Gromicide; 05-02-2018 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: added 'BEACH'

Old 05-02-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromicide View Post
Rednecks aren't educated or affluent is the way it reads. I'm sure you didn't mean it that way but put more realistically, there aren't many people from the south living in Ponte Vedra Beach. It's kinda like West Palm Beach North...lol
Actually, I think he did mean it the way it was wrote. Just his opinion, but I knew someone would say something about it.

I have kidded with Rednecks, driving both jeeps and big trucks, in our area. I tell them that up in Colorado, Wyoming and those states, Rednecks are called "cowboys". They laugh right along with me. They don't take offense to the word.

And, the word "Redneck" isn't allowed in the Rocky Mountain or Plains States.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:28 AM

They must be affluent to some extent, they drive $50,000+ vehicles with another ten grand in modifications!

Old 05-02-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
They must be affluent to some extent, they drive $50,000+ vehicles with another ten grand in modifications!
Very true and I LOL over that.

Old 05-02-2018, 02:33 PM

5 posts, read 3,470 times
Florida2014, thank you for your forthright input, it was very helpful. Why don't the rest of you start a separate thread to debate what makes a redneck or add something useful to this post? For the record, I own a Dodge Ram 2500 MegaCab but don't own a confederate flag, am not a redneck or cowboy, even though I lived in Steamboat Springs, CO for 6 years and I own horses. By the time we move, I probably won't have my truck anymore as I will no longer have horses and will have sold my horse trailer as well. Can we please get back to my original post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or