Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 09:24 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,920,246 times

Advertisements

Our computer issues are moving beyond frustration and turning into funny. Let's see ... my daughter's was a floodgate for viruses and trojans, and it got so infected that not only was her internet connection thwacked, but the task manager and system restore were disabled. Three days of work finally eliminated the 40+ nasties, but now her machine is physically connected to the 'net, but won't communicate. And it still runs like cold molasses. Why?? Who knows - beyond my technical abilities now.

My desktop's issue is the wireless adaptor that probably got blown with a power surge. It's being persnickety and will only work if it's plugged directly into a USB port. If we use its original cable or the new one we bought yesterday, it goes silent. If we leave it in the USB port, the signal is so lousy it's as bad as dialup.

So, I'm on my laptop, the sole surviving computer in the house, and I'm selfish to keep everyone else's hands off it :-) (read that as "password protected")

Yes, I learned the hard and expensive lesson two years ago that TV commercials and reality are not one and the same when it comes to GS. Best thing about mistakes is to not make them twice :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 10:38 AM

41 posts, read 131,684 times
Allways have protection on your PC if it is connected to the internet or you allow someone to bring a floppy/CD over to use in it. AVG has a free AV app and you can install it and it will get updates daily to keep you clean.

h**p://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/

I also reccomend Spybot Search and Destroy to protect from Ad-ware and RootKits invasions, also free.

h**p://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Please, also keep all of your PC equipment (TVs too) behind a spike bar or surge protector. Florida gets way to many lightning strikes not too.

On the PC that is funked, is there data on it you need off? Back Ups anyone. If not, drop a new copy of your OS (Contact me if you need help) on it. XP is good, almost any flavor of LINUX is better. (No viruses written for it yet, but it still comes with free AV software.

If this is an on going issue, get the public (house hold users) PC up and to what you would consider a good setting, make and image of the the HD (Ghost the drive) so if this happens, just drop you Image cd in, and in 25 minutes, you are back to where it started.

Again, contact me, I might can help. Work on Southside, live on the Northside.

Zel

Old 04-01-2008, 11:49 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,920,246 times
I have a "doctor" coming on Thursday morning to diagnose and hopefully cure our ailments. PhotoZel, I'm gratefully taking all your suggestions! Thanks!

Old 07-08-2008, 08:34 AM

16 posts, read 41,348 times
If I can help any, please let me know. I run my own PC repair business in Jax, work on these things every day. Done this for a looong time...(wife says maybe too long)...Hehe. I don't mind answering questions online so...If ya have one...just ask. I'll do my best to help!

Old 07-08-2008, 03:04 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,472,348 times
My years as a computer tech have taught me one thing.

Windows PC = You work for it

Mac = It works for you.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:36 PM

I would tend to both agree and disagree with that. Truth is, some of my biggest headaches turned out to be Macs, and I've been mucking around with computers since the late 70s! (Yes we had computers back then). They do make a good machine though, but to be fair, so does Dell, HP etc...or were you referring to OSs??? Man, you can spot a Mac groupie from a mile away...hehe. Like anything else in this material world of ours, ya either love them or hate em. (The machines I mean).

Old 07-08-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlashman View Post
I would tend to both agree and disagree with that. Truth is, some of my biggest headaches turned out to be Macs, and I've been mucking around with computers since the late 70s! (Yes we had computers back then). They do make a good machine though, but to be fair, so does Dell, HP etc...or were you referring to OSs??? Man, you can spot a Mac groupie from a mile away...hehe. Like anything else in this material world of ours, ya either love them or hate em. (The machines I mean).
Im referring mainly to the OS (but they make good hardware too). And no, Im not a "Mac Groupie". I have several machines in my house, all running either OS X, Windows or Linux (or all three). Im not devoted to anything, so lets get that outta the way.

What exactly was the trouble you had with them?? Used them for an extended amount of time instead of just here & there?? Used OS X??? If not, you have no basis.

Not saying they are perfect, they aren't, but nothing is. But I feel a regular everyday user shouldn't have to take their PC in once a year to get rid of spyware, viruses, etc. Or worse yet, wipe their hard drive clean annually. Thats not fun. And most people dont know what they should or shouldn't do to fully protect themselves & quite frankly, shouldn't have to factor in all that protection cost into their purchase because of Microsoft's shortcomings.

You've been "mucking around" with them? Well, I've been on the front lines for years in different computer tech fields. Some behind the scenes, some dealing with customers straight on. And not just Mac, but all the colors of the rainbow.

I'm not trying to turn this into a Mac vs PC argument, but thats just my personal & professional observation.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:37 PM

And I wouldn't say Dell makes good machines. They are decent, especially for the price, but not quality products. Dell & quality don't go hand in hand. They're actually a generic manufacturer that "re-badge" almost everything they sell. How you think they get those prices so low?? And their customer service is pretty crappy. "Hello, this is India, er I mean, Dell."

The companies that set the standards in reliability, service & overall customer satisfaction are: Lenovo (who used to be owned by IBM), Apple & HP. Stick with one of those & you'll be alright.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:40 AM

My friend I didn't mean to start an argument. (If thats what this is) Look, I just found the board, lets not begin this by acting like 10 year olds doing an "I know more than you do" thing. I'm 53 and have worked on these things, and mainframes for 20+ years. BTW, did you miss the part where I own a shop?...I think I've been in some of those same trenches over the years. MS cert, etc...etc...etc. The headaches I had with Apples primarily revolved around hardware. Sounds like you've had better luck with them. But I deal with "Puters" that folks bring me from their homes in God knows what condition usually. Think I've seen it all. As far as the OSs are concerned, OSX is a kick azz system, Vista sux...so we agree there. Apple does make good stuff, but quite frankly they tend to develop their own set of problems. Otherwise I wouldn't see them in my shop, and it is nice to just hit the PRAM and correct things a lot of times. Sorry, but I've had very good luck with Dells and HPs. Look, this is all a personal observation through personal experience. Perhaps I was incorrect about using the term "groupie", but with as many Apple machines as you have does make it clear you're at the least "fond" of them, otherwise we wouldn't be having this, uhhhh...conversation. Long and short of it is this...theres a lot of good machines out there, and a lot of crappy ones to be sure. Apples still have shortcomings, albeit different ones. Its actually kind of funny, people seem to have drawn the line one way or the other and how much passion seems to get involved in it all. Apples are "not" made by God, nor are they bulletproof. (Actually I think they're assembled in California...hehe). BTW I have an G4 notebook I've used for a very long time, and I've been very pleased with it. All that being said, sorry, didn't mean to upset you.

Last edited by phlashman; 07-09-2008 at 03:17 AM..

Old 07-09-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlashman View Post
My friend I didn't mean to start an argument. (If thats what this is) Look, I just found the board, lets not begin this by acting like 10 year olds doing an "I know more than you do" thing. I'm 53 and have worked on these things, and mainframes for 20+ years. BTW, did you miss the part where I own a shop?...I think I've been in some of those same trenches over the years. MS cert, etc...etc...etc. The headaches I had with Apples primarily revolved around hardware. Sounds like you've had better luck with them. But I deal with "Puters" that folks bring me from their homes in God knows what condition usually. Think I've seen it all. As far as the OSs are concerned, OSX is a kick azz system, Vista sux...so we agree there. Apple does make good stuff, but quite frankly they tend to develop their own set of problems. Otherwise I wouldn't see them in my shop, and it is nice to just hit the PRAM and correct things a lot of times. Sorry, but I've had very good luck with Dells and HPs. Look, this is all a personal observation through personal experience. Perhaps I was incorrect about using the term "groupie", but with as many Apple machines as you have does make it clear you're at the least "fond" of them, otherwise we wouldn't be having this, uhhhh...conversation. Long and short of it is this...theres a lot of good machines out there, and a lot of crappy ones to be sure. Apples still have shortcomings, albeit different ones. Its actually kind of funny, people seem to have drawn the line one way or the other and how much passion seems to get involved in it all. Apples are "not" made by God, nor are they bulletproof. (Actually I think they're assembled in California...hehe). BTW I have an G4 notebook I've used for a very long time, and I've been very pleased with it. All that being said, sorry, didn't mean to upset you.
Oh, don't apologize. I'm not upset. I've been a Mac user for years & years now & I just don't like that all of a sudden there's an automatic assumption these days that if you're a Mac user, then you must be like that douchey kid we all see in the commercials. Which they do exist, but are usually the people who blindly follow trends that wouldn't know the first thing about computers but pretend they do. But the assumptions from the other end are usually people who have never owned one before either. So, its ignorance on both ends in that scenario.

I am indeed partial to them as I have more Macs than PCs, but Im not a blind fanboy either. I don't own an iPod, iPhone, etc & don't follow trends. I like what I like based on user experience & nothing else. Cheers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: