U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2018, 11:31 PM

13 posts, read 20,246 times

Advertisements

I may have an opportunity to live on Neptune Beach. Is it a busy, touristy area? Laid back? Crime-ridden?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 06:27 AM

21,998 posts, read 32,247,233 times
I would say no, yes and no. It's fairly quiet for a Fl beach community and doesn't really see a whole lot of tourism, and as such pretty laid back. I haven't heard where crime is an issue and the stats seem to bear that out with mostly property crimes versus violent offenses with just 6 armed robberies, 10 assaults and 28 break-ins all of last year.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:32 PM

6,840 posts, read 7,536,182 times
Neptune Beach is a small stretch of land between Jacksonville Beach and Atlantic Beach. It is maybe a little over 1 sq mile. Relatively speaking, the beaches in Jacksonville aren't very touristy, although you'll certainly run into some tourists pretty often. It could be seen as kinda busy from a nightlife perspective, as the general area can get saturated with loud partiers. That said, the attitude is very laid back and I've never felt unsafe whatsoever.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:00 PM

375 posts, read 273,434 times
It's a nice area. Low crime with majority of issues likely being car break ins. I used to live in Neptune in a couple different areas on the beach side and enjoyed it very much. It's a quieter part of the Jax beach stretch.

Old 05-05-2018, 08:33 PM

384 posts, read 346,292 times
It is a nice place, seems safe. I wouldn't personally pick it as a permanent address because yes it is busy, now I know people have different definitions of that and yes the residential area where you are living is not busy...but the moment you poke your head out on to the main drag. lots of traffic, lots of lights, strip malls. Your kinda stuck there. Not an easy place to get in an out of without lots of traffic, Beach blvd...horrid, Atlantic Blvd. not much better. You have to go over a bridge to get anywhere...otherwise yeah nice area.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:33 PM

375 posts, read 273,434 times
It's more laid back than most of the Jax beach area so if you draw a big circle around everything east of the intracoastal I would label Neptune as laid back. But it's busy enough to where on nights when you just want to lay low and crash there will be cars and foot traffic, peeps on bikes, people partying and what not.

It's the beach and it doesn't always go to sleep when you want it to.

Old 05-07-2018, 12:37 PM

52 posts, read 73,100 times
It depends where you live in Neptune Beach. If you are east of 3rd Street/A1A there will be more traffic, partying, etc. West of 3rd St back to the intracoastal is much quieter. There are some great neighborhoods, so it depends what atmosphere you are looking for. Crime is not much of an issue, fortunately. It's a great place to live - close to the action and the beach, with options for quieter living.

Old 05-08-2018, 02:43 PM

2,053 posts, read 3,116,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Herper View Post
I may have an opportunity to live on Neptune Beach. Is it a busy, touristy area? Laid back? Crime-ridden?
I live in Neptune Beach. It is a sleepy little close knit community nestled between Jax and Atlantic Beach. If you don't mind celebrating certain events and holidays such as Independence Day, The Naval Air Show, etc, it is not a noisy place at all even east of 3rd street. I jokingly label it the healthiest beach in Florida because there is always so many people exercising up and down the street.

There is very little business in Neptune Beach, most of it confined to right along 3rd street, and none of it draws tourists.

There is the "corner" or Beaches Town Center, which is at the end of Atlantic Blvd, which has lots of really cool shops and restaurants, but if you get just 2 blocks south of that, the noise all dies down.

The only crime we've had recently was a grandmother was killed down by Fletcher High School on Seagate Ave. That was committed by her grandson who is in custody for it. We also had an armored car get robbed at the only bank we have which is in the Town Center area. Not sure if they ever caught that guy or not, but that was a highly unusual event for the beaches.

The beach area in Neptune Beach is also not as busy as Jax Beach. I love Neptune Beach and wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

SS

Old 05-08-2018, 06:00 PM

384 posts, read 346,292 times
I am going to take shakenstirreds word for most of this. I do like the area. I don't live in Neptune so I am not saying I am completely accurate in my observation, but saying this is a sleepy area, well, all I can say is we all have different definitions. It is no more quiet then anywhere else if you are off the main road. If your on the main road it seems to be a general nightmare every time I go through that area. As a matter of fact I just went through last weekend and thought to myself why did I go this way. I suppose it is no more busy than traveling through lots of crowded beach areas. Fun for a vacation but I wouldn't want to have to pull out into that traffic everyday of my life.

Old 05-11-2018, 02:29 PM

294 posts, read 276,704 times
Lived in NB 2012-2017 east of Third on South St- pretty much in the middle of it all. Our experience, compared to other places we lived- all cities- is near Zero tourists and near Zero crime.

AWESOME. Very laid back but not without being busy at times. Went back for a visit Easter 2018. We stayed in PVB so had to commute to the corner and our NB friends houses everyday- my wife and I both thought the traffic was considerably more just one year after the move, however we could be wrong.

We moved out of FL to be closer to family, absolutely loved our years in NB (so did our thousands of visitors....), and will probably be back close by in the future.

hope this helps
hornsch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or