U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2018, 09:30 AM

1 posts, read 938 times

Advertisements

Hi my family and i have considered to relocate to jacksonville, fl . We currently live in Rochester, Minnesota because my husband works for Mayo clinic and he has been considering transferring as there is a campus there in jacksonville. I know absolutely nothing about jacksonville but that it is alot warmer than MN so i am definetly interested in moving somewhere warmer. We are a interracial couple with 2 children so we are looking to moving somewhere diverse with great school systems, preferably in the suburbs in a family area. I am a hairstylist part-time and also work in the medical field part-time. So i'm pretty sure i wont have an issues finding employment. We are open to renting a house or apt until we can find our dream house. Is the rent there expensive for apt? Would just like some info as far as areas to start looking into. Any help of info would be appreciated, just ready for a change of scenery.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 12:51 PM

82 posts, read 108,205 times
Unfortunately, diversity is going to be a challenge anywhere you live in the greater Jacksonville area. I'd recommend touring schools and choosing one where you see the greatest diversity that seems to match what you're looking for, then going from there.

In this area, most people consider the St. Johns County school system to be the only "great" school system (St. Johns County is the county directly south of Duval County, where Jacksonville is located). However, many people are very happy with the Duval County schools. It's a huge school system with some great schools that neighborhoods are zoned for, and some truly amazing magnet schools. It definitely requires some research to pick the right school for your kids.

Mayo is in a great part of town. It's in what the realtor websites call "intracoastal west," and is super close to everything. You didn't give an idea of your budget, but Pablo Bay (more moderately priced -- many young kids) and Jacksonville Golf and Country Club (more expensive than Pablo Bay; people LOVE this neighborhood) are both great neighborhoods in the area. All are zoned for what are considered good elementary schools. Jax Golf is zoned for Chets Creek, and I think Pablo Bay is zoned for Seabreeze, possibly Alimacani. If you look at the area between Beach Blvd and J Turner Butler along Hodges, you will see tons of neighborhoods and apartment complexes. Any of those would be great to rent in to get an idea of the area.

If you want to leave Duval County and go to St. Johns, you'll need to consider communing distance. Will your husband be required to be on call? If so, will he have to be within a certain amount of time to the hospital? If so, northern Ponte Vedra Beach is probably your only bet in St. Johns County. If not, then there are definitely other areas of St. Johns County that are close enough for a daily commute, including Nocatee. There are tons of posts on here about Ponte Vedra and Nocatee.

You could also consider Jacksonville Beach or Atlantic Beach.

Old 05-09-2018, 04:17 PM

370 posts, read 213,533 times
Nassau County has the state's second best public schools (St. Johns Co has the best), but they are north of Jax. If you seek diversity, you're pretty much relegated to the quirky old neighborhoods that border downtown.

Here you can have good schools OR diversity...but not both.

Old 05-10-2018, 05:14 PM

376 posts, read 342,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 843904 View Post
If you seek diversity, you're pretty much relegated to the quirky old neighborhoods that border downtown.

I like that. Quirky Why yes we are LOL

Old 05-10-2018, 05:24 PM

376 posts, read 342,574 times
If you can give us a housing budget, it will be a little easier to suggest something.

You can find good schools in Jacksonville. You just have to look. Over all grade for Duval county is not good, but there are well over 100,000 students enrolled. Nassau and St Johns are no where near that big.

North Florida is very conservative. There are diverse people and cultures here but they tend to be segregated. As mentioned above the best place for diversity is in the Urban Core around downtown or as 843904 stated, those Quirky places.

Old 05-11-2018, 02:43 PM

611 posts, read 406,163 times
Come to Tampa, probably better diversity and in the good schools too.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:23 PM

384 posts, read 346,134 times
Jacksonville leans much more towards Georgia then the more southern part of the Florida. It is not like they live in the stone age, but a lot of the deep south runs through the city. You will find a lot of very segregated areas and I have found a lot of racial bias. Not to say you will find that everywhere, with everyone, but it is something I find crops up down here frequently. Jacksonville is a large sprawling city. The downtown is somewhat sad. A place people go to work but few live. It has a feeling of being abandon once rush hour is over. There is a bit of an up and coming underground art scene but as far as eclectic diversity the city gets a very low grade in my book. Most people live and center their lives around the developments they live in. On the positive side it seems to be a very family oriented area. It is also growing economically and there are a lot of opportunities here. The weather is also nice.

Old 05-13-2018, 06:55 PM

374 posts, read 273,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarpeg View Post
Jacksonville leans much more towards Georgia then the more southern part of the Florida. It is not like they live in the stone age, but a lot of the deep south runs through the city. You will find a lot of very segregated areas and I have found a lot of racial bias. Not to say you will find that everywhere, with everyone, but it is something I find crops up down here frequently. Jacksonville is a large sprawling city. The downtown is somewhat sad. A place people go to work but few live. It has a feeling of being abandon once rush hour is over. There is a bit of an up and coming underground art scene but as far as eclectic diversity the city gets a very low grade in my book. Most people live and center their lives around the developments they live in. On the positive side it seems to be a very family oriented area. It is also growing economically and there are a lot of opportunities here. The weather is also nice.
well said. Born and raised here since 1975. Great city with plenty to offer but culturally lagging behind 'big cities'. It is changing though as more folks move here. Some say that is a bad thing and others say it's good. Due to the size of the county, people do tend to stay in their areas because everything they need is right there. No need to cross town unless it's a sporting event, family gathering, go to work, shop for a new car or sofa. Cheaper to live than other cities, people are friendly and it's easy to get out of town whether you're going South , North or West.

Old 05-21-2018, 01:16 PM

7 posts, read 6,533 times
Default Rochester to Jax

If I were you, I would take the move without thinking. Visit the area though, before you make the move and you can even rent for a year. I lived in Rochester MN for few years and then Michigan for lot of years and we made the move after living 20+years in snow. I still have friends who work there and visit JAX mayo on work. Pretty sure 20-40mins drive to Mayo, JAX and you can find good schools in Saint Johns county.

Saint Johns county getting pretty diversified and people moved here different locations. Depending on the age of the kids and activities you do, you choose the subdivision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or