U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 11:13 PM

45 posts, read 48,239 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I like this forums here and I always find very helpful advice.

Please, help me to make a decision. I am looking to relocate, I am tired from the Phoenix heat. Jacksonville sparked my interest for a couple of reasons: 1st, Mayo Clinic. 2nd, the relatively cool weather compared with the other FL cities.

We are middle+ age couple. I am going to look for a teaching job. Spouse had some health problems and was treated in Mayo clinic in AZ. This is why we want to stay with the same hospital. We like urban environment, we like to take walks, we like beaches. We may travel to the area soon to see how we'll like it.

I'd like to ask you how is the job situation. Before taking my teacher credentials, I had also experience (and higher education, BA and MA) in hospitality and travel business and international trade. I should consider this experience as a plan B. Do you know some local employment support groups or career connectors?

What area of town would you suggest to look for apartments. We will start with a very tight budget. For what I read here in the forums, I should look in south Jax and St. Thomas, but if you can suggest more specific places that would be better.

I read pros and cons about the area, I am considering Orlando, as well, but somehow Jax is a priority in my mind. Any input here is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 11:37 PM

6,845 posts, read 7,547,029 times
Please dont be mistaken, Jacksonville gets very hot too. Not to the level of Phoenix, but combined with the humidity it is pretty unbearable at times. Some people are ok with that, but just want to make sure you realize.

Jax's urban environments probably lag behind Phoenix a bit. There are some nice, historic, walkable neighborhoods surrounding downtown but they arent terribly dense, vibrant, or entirely full of amenities. And downtown itself is underwhelming for a metro our size.

Mayo is close to the beach so that is a plus, and there are some nice, relatively walkable areas to live at the beaches. Also very close to Mayo is the St Johns Town Center area, which is not a true urban environment at all but it is quasi walkable. It might be adequate for you all.

Teaching in Duval is a crapshoot. You will hear horror stories I am sure. Most people prefer St Johns County which is SE of Jax and is the top rated district in FL. Nassau is the second best district and it is north jax, but it's not particularly close to the urban areas (except for Fernandina Beach) or Mayo Clinic. I'd say hospitality and travel are smallish industries in Jax, international trade is ok given our decent-sized port.

I do not know what you mean by St. Thomas, perhaps that is supposed to be St Johns Town Center? And South Jax isnt really an area, but Southside is probably what you meant which is a broad area that includes SJTC.

Good luck!!

Old 05-21-2018, 08:24 AM

376 posts, read 275,209 times
well said projectmaximus.

If planning to visit come in July or August so you can compare the heat. It's a sticky heat that slaps you in the face when you leave work in the afternoon and even during the evenings sometimes it's uncomfortable.

Guessing since south jax and St Thomas were mentioned together you actually mean south part of Duval county and St Johns county (Bartram, Julington creek, Durbin, Nocatee, CR210).

Old 05-21-2018, 07:13 PM

Thank you! Yes, I meant St. Jones.... I looked at St Johns school district, a well. I'll fix the name in the initial post if I can.
What other types of businesses are included in this area?
I'm also curious to learn how do you get health insurance if there is no employer. I read online that FL denied Medicaid funding.
I am planning to go to fly to Orlando and travel to Jacksonville. What areas do you suggest to look at the south side? Are there nice and affordable apartments? Where around the beaches is a good place to have a walk?
Thanks again

Old 05-23-2018, 06:42 AM

22,030 posts, read 32,290,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nike M View Post
I am planning to go to fly to Orlando and travel to Jacksonville. What areas do you suggest to look at the south side? Are there nice and affordable apartments? Where around the beaches is a good place to have a walk? Thanks again
You can also fly direct into Jacksonville and perhaps save yourself a few hour drive each direction, though from Phoenix would have to change planes which would still save at least 90 minutes of travel time most likely each way. Jacksonville International Airport

Old 05-24-2018, 10:30 AM

376 posts, read 275,209 times
What is your budget? If being close to Mayo is important I would look along Kernan Blvd, Hodges and San Pablo. These 3 roads are primarily zip codes 32225 and 32224 and offer tons of housing, shopping dining etc and Mayo is right at the south end of San Pablo Rd.

I like the redfin website for houses as you can see the maps by zip code and draw your own area. Houses in these areas can be had in the low to mid 200's and can go all the way up to over a million. Close to the beach and close to town.

Old 05-24-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You can also fly direct into Jacksonville and perhaps save yourself a few hour drive each direction, though from Phoenix would have to change planes which would still save at least 90 minutes of travel time most likely each way. Jacksonville International Airport
Depends on what is the best deal of fly+hotel+car. I would have an opportunity to see more around. Thank you.

Old 05-24-2018, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromicide View Post
What is your budget? If being close to Mayo is important I would look along Kernan Blvd, Hodges and San Pablo. These 3 roads are primarily zip codes 32225 and 32224 and offer tons of housing, shopping dining etc and Mayo is right at the south end of San Pablo Rd.

I like the redfin website for houses as you can see the maps by zip code and draw your own area. Houses in these areas can be had in the low to mid 200's and can go all the way up to over a million. Close to the beach and close to town.
I also like redfin. It is not necessary to be closer to Mayo. Thank you for the ZIPs and the street information. My budget will be under $1000. What could be other ZIPs to look, too?
What is the best commute route? The best location would be to commute against the traffic. You mentioned that Duval schools are not recommended, so I'll look on the south side. Thanks again.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post

Teaching in Duval is a crapshoot. You will hear horror stories I am sure. Most people prefer St Johns County which is SE of Jax and is the top rated district in FL. Nassau is the second best district and it is north jax,.

Good luck!!
Can you tell more about Duval schools?

Old 05-25-2018, 09:59 AM

7,470 posts, read 17,190,781 times
We have lived on the Southside, just north of The Avenues Mall, since January 2009. We live in a "bungalow" style 2-bedroom apartment, which means there is nobody above us. Our apartment is at the end of the building, but there are only four "bungalow's" in the complex. Shopping is very, very close and the SJTC is only a few miles away. A person can go straight down Southside Blvd to JTB (actually is a freeway), go south and get off right down the street from Mayo.

The area we live in is very nice and darn near no crime, really. There are part of the Southside that you do want to stay away from...….like perhaps University Blvd., Beach Blvd. at Southside and Baymeadows at the 95 Freeway. They aren't the most popular places to live. But, do HIGHLY recommend the other parts of the Southside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or