U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 05:17 PM

5,935 posts, read 4,134,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarpeg View Post
What in the world has happened to our society where dogs have become the center of peoples lives. I have wondered about this. Is it some societal disconnect? Is it a fad? It is especially prevalent with older wealthy people. Dogs everywhere. In the morning they are out thick as thieves following fido with their plastic bags. So gross and humiliating. Old men that never would have changed their own children's diapers. People pushing dogs in baby carriages, sending them to the doggy pool. Going to the dog park to socialize with the other dogs. Last weekend I was eating breakfast at the Beach Diner here in town and there was a woman kissing and loving her dog up. Right in her chair, up on the table. If that was not gross enough, just think someone else is going to eat at that table in a few minutes. I see them in the grocery store now, at home depot, at my bar where they get into dog fights as there are so many. In the parking lot at the mall there are a bunch of cars just idling away to keep the AC going to keep the dog cool they insisted must go everywhere with them. Just pay attention to the TV for a moment. Dogs are being inserted into almost every advertisement. There is always a dog story now on the nightly news. Yes 30 minutes of world news and some of that time seems to always be a dog story!! I could keep going on like this but, you see what I am getting at. Something has gone awry. Something is not right. This is a symptom of a much larger issue. I don't know what it is exactly, maybe people feel unloved in the modern world by other people. Whatever it is I find it troubling. In regards to the question, here on Amelia Island you CAN NOT have your dog off the leash. If you let your dog run on the beach unleashed and get caught it is $200 fine. They do patrol for this as last year a woman was mauled by a loose dog....and please do not respond with, my dog would never do that. Everyone says that, which is why the rules are in place.
This is the best I have seen. I totally agree, something is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 10:56 PM

347 posts, read 291,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
This is the best I have seen. I totally agree, something is wrong.
The only thing I think is "wrong"...is people like you thinking that when people love their dogs too much that something has to be "wrong".

Drink the koolaid- dogs are wonderful.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divagotstyle07 View Post
The only thing I think is "wrong"...is people like you thinking that when people love their dogs too much that something has to be "wrong".

Drink the koolaid- dogs are wonderful.
They sure do have disgusting habits.
Eat poop
Some dogs eat their own poop, and some dogs eat other dogs' or animals' poop. Experts say that some dogs do this because they are lacking something in their diet, while others say it's a behavioral problem that owners should try to correct. Either way, yuck! We wish that dogs knew that poop carries diseases, and that eating it is an act that is frowned upon by their owners, especially when they are smooching them on the cheek.
Lick their private parts
Licking is the way that dogs clean themselves, but excessive licking can sometimes mean that there is a medical condition that needs attention or a behavioral problem that needs to be addressed. Whatever the reason, it would be nice if dogs would lick themselves a bit more quickly and in private, rather than by their owners' heads when they are trying to fall asleep.
Slobber/Drool
Dogs can drool for a variety of reasons, and some dogs are just made to be drool machines. People who have a dog that is known to slobber usually don't think twice about it. But for those who aren't fans of the slime, the sight of slobber hanging from a dog's mouth or being wiped on their pants can cause a quick gagging reflex.
Lick their pee
Sniffing pee is one thing, but once dogs actually go in for a taste, that's a whole different story. But once you know what they're actually doing, in a way, it's kind of cool. Experts say that a dog has an organ, called the vomeronasal organ, on the roof of its mouth that allows it to taste scent. It's not a skill we're jealous of, but it is interesting.
Drink outof the toilet
What is it with drinking out of the toilet? Does the water taste better in there? Experts believe it does, and they suggest that dogs are drawn to drinking out of the toilet bowl because the porcelain keeps the water cooler. Experts caution that this is a dirty habit for dogs because of the unhealthy bacteria and cleaning agents that tend to linger in the bowl.
Roll around insomething stinky
For some reason, dogs always find the grossest things in the yard, like poop or a decaying animal corpse, that they find irresistible to roll in. There are a few different theories on this one. Dogs just don't want to smell clean, they want to cover up their own scents or they just want to tell you where they've been.
Eat their vomit
Some dogs eat their own vomit, and some dog's eat another dog's vomit. While this is incredibly gross, experts don't seem to really know why dogs do this. It could go back to hundreds of years ago, when it was thought that dogs ate their vomit so that other predators or members of their pack wouldn't know they were sick.
Smell butts
What is the fascination here? According to experts, a quick whiff of the anal glands tells a dog a lot about another dog, such as its current mood, its health and what type of food it has eaten recently.

And the list doesn't include barking, biting and crapping everywhere.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:12 AM

7,472 posts, read 17,270,471 times
We love dogs, but can truly understand some of the feelings that those that don't have. We've had a dog before and she was very nice, but definitely took some work. We lived in a house and threw a blanket over the couch so she could lay on it at night, if she choose to come inside thru the "doggy door" in the kitchen. She had a large backyard to poop in and I had no problem using a "pooper scooper" to clean it up. Heck, we'd even take the 3-year old female Husky on our powerboat with us fishing. Slip on the old "doggy life vest" and off we'd go. She'd have a blast and watch us pull in rainbow trout, when we lived in Colorado.

But, the other side of the coin is...…...seeing dog owners walk their doggy's, it poops and they leave it right there in the grass. It's not in front of their apartment, so they don't care. Do have dog owners that carry a "doggy poop bag" and clean the grass spot up. But, in the hot summer months, poop that is not picked up draws flies and definitely stinks, let along stepping in it and wondering where that "poop smell" in the home is coming from.

Old 05-25-2018, 11:45 AM

14,445 posts, read 20,031,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
They sure do have disgusting habits.
Eat poop
Some dogs eat their own poop, and some dogs eat other dogs' or animals' poop. Experts say that some dogs do this because they are lacking something in their diet, while others say it's a behavioral problem that owners should try to correct. Either way, yuck! We wish that dogs knew that poop carries diseases, and that eating it is an act that is frowned upon by their owners, especially when they are smooching them on the cheek.
Lick their private parts
Licking is the way that dogs clean themselves, but excessive licking can sometimes mean that there is a medical condition that needs attention or a behavioral problem that needs to be addressed. Whatever the reason, it would be nice if dogs would lick themselves a bit more quickly and in private, rather than by their owners' heads when they are trying to fall asleep.
Slobber/Drool
Dogs can drool for a variety of reasons, and some dogs are just made to be drool machines. People who have a dog that is known to slobber usually don't think twice about it. But for those who aren't fans of the slime, the sight of slobber hanging from a dog's mouth or being wiped on their pants can cause a quick gagging reflex.
Lick their pee
Sniffing pee is one thing, but once dogs actually go in for a taste, that's a whole different story. But once you know what they're actually doing, in a way, it's kind of cool. Experts say that a dog has an organ, called the vomeronasal organ, on the roof of its mouth that allows it to taste scent. It's not a skill we're jealous of, but it is interesting.
Drink outof the toilet
What is it with drinking out of the toilet? Does the water taste better in there? Experts believe it does, and they suggest that dogs are drawn to drinking out of the toilet bowl because the porcelain keeps the water cooler. Experts caution that this is a dirty habit for dogs because of the unhealthy bacteria and cleaning agents that tend to linger in the bowl.
Roll around insomething stinky
For some reason, dogs always find the grossest things in the yard, like poop or a decaying animal corpse, that they find irresistible to roll in. There are a few different theories on this one. Dogs just don't want to smell clean, they want to cover up their own scents or they just want to tell you where they've been.
Eat their vomit
Some dogs eat their own vomit, and some dog's eat another dog's vomit. While this is incredibly gross, experts don't seem to really know why dogs do this. It could go back to hundreds of years ago, when it was thought that dogs ate their vomit so that other predators or members of their pack wouldn't know they were sick.
Smell butts
What is the fascination here? According to experts, a quick whiff of the anal glands tells a dog a lot about another dog, such as its current mood, its health and what type of food it has eaten recently.

And the list doesn't include barking, biting and crapping everywhere.

You know this sounds like you are an 8 yr old ....if you hate animals so much you need to stay home . either that or learn to live in society .

Old 05-25-2018, 11:50 AM

370 posts, read 218,251 times
Amen to Squarepeg for bringing this up. I'm thinking it's a millennial thing, as it's only been in the last ten years that this phenomenon of people preferring dogs over people has grown to the fever pitch it is today. I mean, if you love your pet (and it's a pet, not a child, not a furbaby!) then great! If you have empathy for animals, well ok. But the way some people act over an animal is ridiculous! As a pet owner myself, I do care for my critter and give it (it...not her or him) plenty of love and attention. But I also value HUMAN life more than that of a pet. Why don't you?

On a related note, I do wonder where these animal nuts stand on the issue of abortion. I have a feeling that I know the answer.

Old 05-25-2018, 11:51 AM

370 posts, read 218,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
You know this sounds like you are an 8 yr old ....if you hate animals so much you need to stay home . either that or learn to live in society .
...and you need to get a grip. Besides, why are you in a Jax room stirring the pot when you're from SC?

Old 05-25-2018, 02:16 PM

14,445 posts, read 20,031,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 843904 View Post
...and you need to get a grip. Besides, why are you in a Jax room stirring the pot when you're from SC?

not that it is any of your business but I have family that lives in san marco so I do occasionally look in the jax forum . I need to get a grip ? that is laughable you need to stop being an animal hater .

Old 05-26-2018, 09:21 PM

384 posts, read 354,651 times
Who doesn't like a friendly dog? I personally don't have anything against the dog. The dog is just being a dog. I was simply pointing out that there has been some type of shift within society where we now have a large group of people seemingly so involved in the dogs life..... that something seems very wrong. If you are living your life for a dog, or a dog has become the most important thing in your life or you make decisions based on what you think your dog wants, maybe something is amiss. If your immediately defensive about that line of thinking, I would ask that you try to do some self reflection. The other issue is that many dog owners seem to feel they have the right to inflict their dog on others. As if we all love their dog the same way they do. Where I live I am surrounded by dogs, seems most people now have two of them. Generally I would say they are well behaved but there are many, many nights I wake up to neighbors dogs barking for some reason. Once one starts they all join in. During the day, barking is common. They do crap on my lawn and **** on my roses. I don't like dogs jumping on me, sticking there nose in my crotch, drooling on me, I don't like them in places I eat, or buy food. Why do people have to now shop with their dog? I do not like to see them loose, which I do see fairly regularly. I have been bitten by a loose dog so I am leery of them. I don't feel I should have to step off the sidewalk to get out of the way when someone comes by with dogs on a leash. I do not like walking by homes where there are dogs behind fences clearly upset, growling barking and being threatening. These are just some of the things where dog owners impose their dogs on other humans. Again, please do not say it is certainly not you. If you are a dog owner chances are you are guilty of pushing your dog on others. Please realize many people have no interest in your dog.

Old 05-27-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarpeg View Post
Who doesn't like a friendly dog? I personally don't have anything against the dog. The dog is just being a dog. I was simply pointing out that there has been some type of shift within society where we now have a large group of people seemingly so involved in the dogs life..... that something seems very wrong. If you are living your life for a dog, or a dog has become the most important thing in your life or you make decisions based on what you think your dog wants, maybe something is amiss. If your immediately defensive about that line of thinking, I would ask that you try to do some self reflection. The other issue is that many dog owners seem to feel they have the right to inflict their dog on others. As if we all love their dog the same way they do. Where I live I am surrounded by dogs, seems most people now have two of them. Generally I would say they are well behaved but there are many, many nights I wake up to neighbors dogs barking for some reason. Once one starts they all join in. During the day, barking is common. They do crap on my lawn and **** on my roses. I don't like dogs jumping on me, sticking there nose in my crotch, drooling on me, I don't like them in places I eat, or buy food. Why do people have to now shop with their dog? I do not like to see them loose, which I do see fairly regularly. I have been bitten by a loose dog so I am leery of them. I don't feel I should have to step off the sidewalk to get out of the way when someone comes by with dogs on a leash. I do not like walking by homes where there are dogs behind fences clearly upset, growling barking and being threatening. These are just some of the things where dog owners impose their dogs on other humans. Again, please do not say it is certainly not you. If you are a dog owner chances are you are guilty of pushing your dog on others. Please realize many people have no interest in your dog.
This post is better than than your post number 4 and I thought that was the best. I believe you have summed up my thoughts perfectly. Thank you, if we could just start a movement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or