U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 07:56 AM

9 posts, read 13,254 times

Advertisements

Are St Augustine proper and St Augustine Beach more welcoming? We are moving to that area and have chosen to stay closer in because of the laid back vibe. Perhaps being between Jacksonville and Palm Coast would also make it easier for the OP to be close to parents and work. I certainly hope that in such a beautiful area there are beautiful hearts ready to welcome everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 08:03 AM

5 posts, read 2,818 times
No one will mess with me because I'm gay.......as long as I don't flaunt it in peoples faces(?)

LOL...you mean like holding hands IN PUBLIC!? gasp.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:32 AM

Default I have arranged to be in the area the month of Sept so I can spend some time exploring.

Sounds like there are certainly neighborhoods in JAX in which people are welcoming...or, at least will not be clutching their pearls when they figure out who just moved in next door

But, I could certainly foresee possible issues in a professional environment-- which, from past experience, I know can be very uncomfortable.( Do I bring my partner to the Xmas party? Or, would that be considered "flaunting"?)

As I'm writing this, I find myself really disheartened that I actually need to be worried about this kind of thing anymore......sigh. But, thnx for the tips! Donut district, here I come.....

Old 06-11-2018, 08:34 AM

949 posts, read 1,194,081 times
Actually, St. Augustine might work for you, at least the city and area near Flagler College. It's a well educated historic city with a lot of tourists. But the area surrounding St. Augustine is Trump Country and deep red.

I don't think most people will say anything if you hold hands in public. BUT you never know and that is the problem. You have to be on guard. I'd say that moat places in the South. It only takes one idiot to make a rude comment or escalate the situation. I think you are most at risk from stupid teenagers heckling you because they are young and ignorant. Physical stuff is unlikely but you never know.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:40 AM

46 posts, read 43,445 times
ProjectMaximus Relocation Expertus is very wise.

If you want info on the Jax Urban core, follow his posts.

if you need tips on lawn edging or what to order at Applebees, keep reading Jax City Data.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:51 AM

949 posts, read 1,194,081 times
For what It's worth, anything that makes you different can make you a potential target for crime or harassment.
It's just the fact of life in urban areas that have crime issues. I wouldn't recommend holding hands but i also wouldnt recommend flaunting wealth like wearing expensive clothes, jewelry, or driving a BMW or other luxury vehicle.

It's safer to just blend in with your surroundings for anyone really.

Old 06-11-2018, 01:20 PM

Default No worries PM....

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I think logy is on point in the post above.

If you're in Riverside, Springfield or Murray Hill you will hardly be the only lesbian couple walking around. So fwiw, you won't be unique or shocking. Doesn't mean there won't be issues but at least you aren't the only ones bearing the brunt of it. Avondale and San Marco are good too but a bit more refined and established, not as edgy or alternative.

I am sorry for that too. And just to clarify, my comment on the donut district was an inside joke with sanmarcomatt. We live in the same neighborhood and are frequent posters on the website metrojacksonville.com, the forums in which he proclaimed himself mayor of the burgeoning donut district now that two specialty donut shops have opened in the hood.

BTW, if you do end up moving (or are very close to doing so) go check out that site. Metrojacksonville.com will likely be a trove of useful info that you might enjoy perusing and/or asking for further advice.
Donut district gave a chuckle. I can only imagine that opening a donut shop in the hood requires immediate reclassification as a coastal elite?

As to St Augustine---I have heard it's a lovely, open city. Not to mention quite beautiful (as I recall anyway--as it's been many yrs since I've been). Def a place I will check-out. And, will also check-out metrojax.com...

peace to all ya'll (starting to work on my southern.lol..)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or